Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Yeah, not sure what the issue was for me. Didn't any issues with BTN2Go. Glad at least some Gopher fans were able to watch without issues
    Yeah, not really sure because my Comcrap internet usually sucks but it held up really really well for us at my house.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I just don't get why Notre Dame's "national name recognition" should play any factor in whether we play them or not. Are people saying that if they got rid of Jeff Jackson and fell back into a period of mediocrity they would still be an attractive opponent?

I don't think the fact they are a nationally recognized opponent for football has any bearing on how attractive they are as an opponent for hockey.

Like someone said above as a reason why we shouldn't hold the fact they won't play us in football against them in hockey, "football has it's own traditions".

If our program is at the point where we need nationally recognized football schools as opponents to bring in hockey fans, our program is in Wisconsin territory trouble
      I think we agree on just about all points (that was me who you quote above). I will say though that even though Notre Dame does not have the longstanding hockey tradition they have been very good the past half-dozen or so years, including this one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to again reach the Frozen Four, which would be the third time since '08. I agree that if they were to lose Jeff Jackson, or if the program were to go in the tank for some other reason, then they not be an attractive non-conference opponent. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I think we agree on just about all points (that was me who you quote above). I will say though that even though Notre Dame does not have the longstanding hockey tradition they have been very good the past half-dozen or so years, including this one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to again reach the Frozen Four, which would be the third time since '08. I agree that if they were to lose Jeff Jackson, or if the program were to go in the tank for some other reason, then they not be an attractive non-conference opponent. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
        Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I put a note in my post that while I was replying to your post, my reply wasn't directed towards you. Not sure why I quoted you to begin with, but I was too lazy to change after I figured that out

You're right, you and I agree on all accounts. Notre Dame has been a good program under Jasckson and a fun opponent to watch the Gophers play.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I organized my thoughts on the subject HERE

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            Yeah, not really sure because my Comcrap internet usually sucks but it held up really really well for us at my house.
            I have Comcast and had no buffering. I watched the game on my iPhone4 using the NBCSports Love extra app. The picture was crystal clear. The production wasn't any good but the feed was perfectly fine.
            I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
            -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

I organized my thoughts on the subject HERE
              Agreed

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
              I suggest you move on...Ski-u-mah!
              Agreed
              Go Gophers!

Comment

I just think too much praise is being thrown at a Notre Dame program that has had some long stretches of mediocrity in it's history.
                SOME long stretches of mediocrity? Until Jackson came along mediocrity was generally the measuring stick for good seasons around South Bend.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                  SOME long stretches of mediocrity? Until Jackson came along mediocrity was generally the measuring stick for good seasons around South Bend.
                  Important thing is where your program is now, and that is in a very good place. Nice new arena, great coach, etc... Your team is pretty good too

Comment

Just how the hell did ND get away with building a rink with home bench on the side with the penalty boxes and visitor's bench on the other side? I expect things like odd sizes and corners for home ice advantage, but that's ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      Don't agree. It just encourages them.

And seriously, tell Jackson to quit offering Minnesota kids free tuition at your fancy-schmancy school. If they won't go to the U then Bemidji or Purple Cow State are good enough for 'em.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        Don't agree. It just encourages them.

And seriously, tell Jackson to quit offering Minnesota kids free tuition at your fancy-schmancy school. If they won't go to the U then Bemidji or Purple Cow State are good enough for 'em.
                        Jackson is from Minnesota.

Comment

The game on Saturday wasn't televised, it was streamed. And it was borderline unwatchable. I'd take the Anchorage game feeds over that hot mess any day. At least the commercials were entertaining
                          I know it was only streamed, but it was also free. I'm sure you would have paid for better coverage, but if I wanted to watch the BU-BC game Friday it would have meant buying a month of athletics coverage. Just as an example of the non hockey-state options we have to deal with...

I just don't get why Notre Dame's "national name recognition" should play any factor in whether we play them or not. Are people saying that if they got rid of Jeff Jackson and fell back into a period of mediocrity they would still be an attractive opponent?
                          No, I'd wager they're mainly an attractive opponent because they are a top 10 team. And reading your blog post, I agree that Notre Dame gets more from the arrangement than Minnesota does, but frankly for all the reasons you list that goes for most teams Minnesota plays. I agree that the "name brand" recognition thing is mostly useless, aside from a scenario where some guy watching TV in his underwear in Baltimore might be flipping through the channels and see "oh, Notre Dame" and keep watching.

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Just how the hell did ND get away with building a rink with home bench on the side with the penalty boxes and visitor's bench on the other side? I expect things like odd sizes and corners for home ice advantage, but that's ridiculous!
                          Something that I've wondered actually. I much prefer the setup with both benches across from the boxes, but both are apparently acceptable (page 10). But weirder things have happened in the past. IIRC, BC actually had their bench extend into the offensive zone in the early days at Conte Forum before they were forced to fix it.
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Umm, no, Jackson is from Michigan. Suburban Detroiter.

Comment

CandyCanes -

Fair point about the feed being free, although it is only free to those who get NBCSN. Very fair point though. I had some serious issues with the feed buffering, but it sounds like the quality was pretty good for most people. May have just been issues on my end.

I also agree that Notre Dame's appeal comes from being a top 10 team. Notre Dame has an excellent team, and they are well coached. I heaped praise on them following Friday's game. Not easy to shut this Gopher lineup down, but they did in a big way. Might be the most defensively sound team in the country this year.

I enjoyed seeing the Gophers play in South Bend (didn't realize it had been 30 years), and am glad they will be visiting in the future. Playing strong teams better prepares you for the postseason.

Comment

I'm not sure what that means... Of course he is.

I mean I sometimes read what you guys say and my understanding is that everybody in hockey is from Minnesota.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X