Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Keep hearing people talk about Notre Dame's "national name recognition". I don't mind playing them in hockey because they are a good program and a good test for our team that will prepare us well for the post season, but Notre Dame's "national name recognition" doesn't do one iota for us in hockey. Look at the crappy TV coverage that "national name recognition" got them in hockey. We do far more for them when we play then they could ever do for us. So please, stop throwing that out there.
    Calm down. It's not that name recognition is doing anythign for us. But consider four team names, assume they are all equally ranked in polls/PWR/Krach.

Notre Dame
    RPI
    Quinipiac
    Boston University.

Which two opponents will be most interesting to people? Even if all 4 teams are identical in every way 95% of people would rather play ND and BU.
    I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
    -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      (a) Not very many programs that don't recruit our in-state hockey players
      (b) Football scheduling shouldn't have anything to do with it - they have their own longstanding traditions
      (c) It was Minnesota - along with the other five B1G hockey schools - that started the whole realignment movement. Notre Dame is not a Big Ten school in any other sport, so who are we to tell them that they should be for hockey? All of the other schools did (or tried to do) what they thought was in their best interest.

Given the new alignment, which is now reality, I like the direction Minnesota has taken. This includes playing all four of the other in-State teams while scheduling some very challenging non-conference games (like BC and Notre Dame, and UND in a couple years).
      mnstate summed it up.

Notre Dame is not a national name in hockey. They are adequate and the reason they are adequate is due to their football program. Just a few measures: they have a small fanbase, they have poor coverage, its not a very old program and they have no titles. Should we play them? Sure. Should we play them 8 times? I think its excessive and would like to see us play other schools (other NCHC schools, BU, etc). We owe Lucia a lot...I just don't think we owe Notre Dame that much.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
        Calm down. It's not that name recognition is doing anythign for us. But consider four team names, assume they are all equally ranked in polls/PWR/Krach.

Notre Dame
        RPI
        Quinipiac
        Boston University.

Which two opponents will be most interesting to people? Even if all 4 teams are identical in every way 95% of people would rather play ND and BU.
        No disagreement there. And if people are just talking about whom our own fan base would like to see us play more, the argument is more valid. I just think too much praise is being thrown at a Notre Dame program that has had some long stretches of mediocrity in it's history. They are a great program now, and I like to see the Gophers play great teams, but from an excitement stand point playing Notre Dame is no different to me than playing a team like Miami Ohio.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
          I think your idea of college hockey TV coverage is pretty distorted when it comes to the national picture. None of the ECAC or Hockey East teams get all their games televised, but nearly all the away games are manageable driving distance. You'll get one B1G or Hockey East game a night/weekend on their channels. The fact that Notre Dame has most of its home games televised on a network that is nationally available is pretty unique.

As far as the camera angles, they do suck. I love Notre Dame's arena, but frankly that's one area that they didn't plan enough for. An extra 1k in seats would have been nice too, but oh well.
          The game on Saturday wasn't televised, it was streamed. And it was borderline unwatchable. I'd take the Anchorage game feeds over that hot mess any day. At least the commercials were entertaining

Comment

The Saturday game (watching options) was a joke, ND you guys sure are lucky to have such a great TV package. (laughs hysterically)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post

Notre Dame
              RPI
              Quinipiac
              Boston University.

And sorry, I am not very good at tone via written text. I am very matter-of-fact in what I say and sometimes it comes off the wrong way. I apologize if I gave the impression that I'm upset

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                The Saturday game (watching options) was a joke, ND you guys sure are lucky to have such a great TV package. (laughs hysterically)
                It was really bad. I turned it off after the first 10 minutes and listened to Wally and Frank.

Comment

I don't mind playing Notre Dame either, but let's stop acting like they're doing us favors. If anything, it's the other way around in this sport. (Replied to you, but not directed at you).
                  Not sure who said they were doing us any favors, as that's obviously not the case. Certainly no more than Boston College - who has won it all three of the past six years - is doing us a favor by scheduling us.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Not sure who said they were doing us any favors, as that's obviously not the case. Certainly no more than Boston College - who has won it all three of the past six years - is doing us a favor by scheduling us.
                    I just don't get why Notre Dame's "national name recognition" should play any factor in whether we play them or not. Are people saying that if they got rid of Jeff Jackson and fell back into a period of mediocrity they would still be an attractive opponent?

I don't think the fact they are a nationally recognized opponent for football has any bearing on how attractive they are as an opponent for hockey.

Like someone said above as a reason why we shouldn't hold the fact they won't play us in football against them in hockey, "football has it's own traditions".

If our program is at the point where we need nationally recognized football schools as opponents to bring in hockey fans, our program is in Wisconsin territory trouble

Comment

It was really bad. I turned it off after the first 10 minutes and listened to Wally and Frank.
                      Really? It wasn't perfect, but I'd rather watch some terrible camera angles than only listen on the radio.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        Really? It wasn't perfect, but I'd rather watch some terrible camera angles than only listen on the radio.
                        It kept buffering for me, and I was missing long stretches of the game, so I turned it off. And I have a business class Internet connection and never have streaming issues. The camera angles were pretty lousy too, but I would have struggled thru that.

Comment

If our program is at the point where we need nationally recognized football schools as opponents to bring in hockey fans, our program is in Wisconsin territory trouble
                          Well to be fair, this is prime "dating" season for Bucky fans... so the Kohl Center just isn't an option right now.

Comment

It kept buffering for me, and I was missing long stretches of the game, so I turned it off. And I have a business class Internet connection and never have streaming issues. The camera angles were pretty lousy too, but I would have struggled thru that.
                            Hmmm, that stinks. We had very few issues at my place with the steaming as far as buffering goes. The only complaint we had were the terrible camera angles and the lack of replays.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Thanks to all for such quick and thoughtful responses. It is all so clear now Seriously, it is much clearer. I suggest you move on whilst still kind of agreeing before the barbs and hurt feelings creep in and threaten the foundation of that which is the the rock that is Gopher Hockey. Ski-u-mah!
                              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                                Hmmm, that stinks. We had very few issues at my place with the steaming as far as buffering goes. The only complaint we had were the terrible camera angles and the lack of replays.
                                Yeah, not sure what the issue was for me. Didn't any issues with BTN2Go. Glad at least some Gopher fans were able to watch without issues

Comment

Working...
                                X