X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    Pretty sure it is @BC next year and 1 game in the ice breaker @Notre Dame
    Pretty sure they will play one game at BC and one game at Northeastern, not a series at BC.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

How was Gurtler's play this weekend? I didn't seem to notice him much on the ice but think he was in the lineup both nights, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        How was Gurtler's play this weekend? I didn't seem to notice him much on the ice but think he was in the lineup both nights, right?
        Personally thought he struggled this weekend(at least on Friday night). I noticed him on Friday. It was hard to follow specific players on the internet feed on Saturday night but I thought he struggled a bit on Friday. Not to say he played poorly or anything, but he is going to need some breaking in while the rest of the freshman have already cut their teeth this year.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          You sure about this? I thought we had two on the road at BC next year...and had one on the road against Notre Dame next year in the ice breaker.
          No, I'm actually not sure about ND's visit to Mooch next season, Major. I pasted it in from a Strib interview with tDon where he laid it out and that's all the info I had. But we are also on for 2014 Ice Breaker at ND.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            Pretty sure they will play one game at BC and one game at Northeastern, not a series at BC.
            Correct. BC here for 2 this year, MN @ BC/NE next year, NE at Mariucci in 2015 and MN @BC/NE in 2016

As far as ND, unless I'm greatly mistaken, ND is coming to Mariucci next year for a pair, with MN going back to South Bend in 2015, after which this "series" is done for now. This is why the UND/MN setup is for 2016/17 and 2017/18, that's basically filling the slot in the schedule that the Gophers have Notre Dame in right now.

The Icebreaker is a College Hockey Inc tournament that's outside the normal scheduling setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
              Correct. BC here for 2 this year, MN @ BC/NE next year, NE at Mariucci in 2015 and MN @BC/NE in 2016

As far as ND, unless I'm greatly mistaken, ND is coming to Mariucci next year for a pair, with MN going back to South Bend in 2015, after which this "series" is done for now. This is why the UND/MN setup is for 2016/17 and 2017/18, that's basically filling the slot in the schedule that the Gophers have Notre Dame in right now.

The Icebreaker is a College Hockey Inc tournament that's outside the normal scheduling setup.
              I'd like to make either the Boston trip or the Ice Breaker trip next year. Those will be fun!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                No, I'm actually not sure about ND's visit to Mooch next season, Major. I pasted it in from a Strib interview with tDon where he laid it out and that's all the info I had. But we are also on for 2014 Ice Breaker at ND.
                I'm guessing you guys are right. Is that 8 games in 4 years against Notre Dame (excluding possible NCAA matchups)? Although he's deserved to schedule whomever he likes, I will be happy when Lucia gets this out of his system.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  I'm guessing you guys are right. Is that 8 games in 4 years against Notre Dame (excluding possible NCAA matchups)? Although he's deserved to schedule whomever he likes, I will be happy when Lucia gets this out of his system.
                  Why is there such a consternation among many of you regulars over playing Notre Dame? They seem to be a quality opponent which, with a good showing by us, can only help us at the end of the year in the power rankings and experience ( solid defensive style, good goaltending and different rink size { when playing there }) If it is only because you hate them, that is not quite enough. Elaborate, but don't go too deep. I'm not that smart.
                  You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                    Why is there such a consternation among many of you regulars over playing Notre Dame? They seem to be a quality opponent which, with a good showing by us, can only help us at the end of the year in the power rankings and experience ( solid defensive style, good goaltending and different rink size { when playing there }) If it is only because you hate them, that is not quite enough. Elaborate, but don't go too deep. I'm not that smart.
                    I don't feel that strongly about it...but you can look back into the thread about it if you want.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                      Some Gopher fans have expressed their displeasure with Notre Dame's refusal to visit Minnesota for football and their spurn of the Big Ten and have said they'd prefer we didn't play them in hockey (which is just helping them out with recruiting in-state). I don't have strong feelings either way, but I understand the opinion.

Coach Jackson:

"We need to stay in Minnesota. We recruit there and have gotten some good players out of the state and I don't want to stop," Jackson states.

"We want to keep going back. We will continue to play Duluth and Minnesota for the next couple of years. And we'll look into playing St. Cloud and Minnesota State down the road. We want to continue to play teams in the state."

READ ARTICLE
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                        I was more than fine with it until I saw the crappy TV coverage we got from there.

See I like that they are a quality program of the type the Gophs will likely meet in playoffs, they have a high national name recognition and I still remember when they were in the WCHA and a regular opponent. (Two guys I graduated high school with went there and played for Lefty for 4 years and I got to see them come to then Williams Arena.)

Comment

Keep hearing people talk about Notre Dame's "national name recognition". I don't mind playing them in hockey because they are a good program and a good test for our team that will prepare us well for the post season, but Notre Dame's "national name recognition" doesn't do one iota for us in hockey. Look at the crappy TV coverage that "national name recognition" got them in hockey. We do far more for them when we play then they could ever do for us. So please, stop throwing that out there.

Comment

(a) Not very many programs that don't recruit our in-state hockey players
                            (b) Football scheduling shouldn't have anything to do with it - they have their own longstanding traditions
                            (c) It was Minnesota - along with the other five B1G hockey schools - that started the whole realignment movement. Notre Dame is not a Big Ten school in any other sport, so who are we to tell them that they should be for hockey? All of the other schools did (or tried to do) what they thought was in their best interest.

Given the new alignment, which is now reality, I like the direction Minnesota has taken. This includes playing all four of the other in-State teams while scheduling some very challenging non-conference games (like BC and Notre Dame, and UND in a couple years).
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              (a) Not very many programs that don't recruit our in-state hockey players
                              (b) Football scheduling shouldn't have anything to do with it - they have their own longstanding traditions
                              (c) It was Minnesota - along with the other five B1G hockey schools - that started the whole realignment movement. Notre Dame is not a Big Ten school in any other sport, so who are we to tell them that they should be for hockey? All of the other schools did (or tried to do) what they thought was in their best interest.

Given the new alignment, which is now reality, I like the direction Minnesota has taken. This includes playing all four of the other in-State teams while scheduling some very challenging non-conference games (like BC and Notre Dame, and UND in a couple years).
                              I don't mind playing Notre Dame either, but let's stop acting like they're doing us favors. If anything, it's the other way around in this sport. (Replied to you, but not directed at you).

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                Keep hearing people talk about Notre Dame's "national name recognition". I don't mind playing them in hockey because they are a good program and a good test for our team that will prepare us well for the post season, but Notre Dame's "national name recognition" doesn't do one iota for us in hockey. Look at the crappy TV coverage that "national name recognition" got them in hockey. We do far more for them when we play then they could ever do for us. So please, stop throwing that out there.
                                I think your idea of college hockey TV coverage is pretty distorted when it comes to the national picture. None of the ECAC or Hockey East teams get all their games televised, but nearly all the away games are manageable driving distance. You'll get one B1G or Hockey East game a night/weekend on their channels. The fact that Notre Dame has most of its home games televised on a network that is nationally available is pretty unique.

As far as the camera angles, they do suck. I love Notre Dame's arena, but frankly that's one area that they didn't plan enough for. An extra 1k in seats would have been nice too, but oh well.
                                Boston University 2009 Champs
                                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                                X