Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Gopher PP sucked, Gopher PK sucked, NBCSN sucked. That about covers it.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Tough game. Defense gave up way too much. Lost count of the number of breakaways. Bad, forced and dropped passes. Credit to Notre Dame because they weren't giving up anything in the later part of the game.

Hoping they come out tomorrow with a fire lit under them. Should answer the question about facing adversity.

Also the announcers drove me nuts. Couldn't pronounce anything. Constantly mispronounced Lucia and struggled to pronounce Vanek's last name even.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherFan89 View Post
        Tough game. Defense gave up way too much. Lost count of the number of breakaways. Bad, forced and dropped passes. Credit to Notre Dame because they weren't giving up anything in the later part of the game.

Hoping they come out tomorrow with a fire lit under them. Should answer the question about facing adversity.

Also the announcers drove me nuts. Couldn't pronounce anything. Constantly mispronounced Lucia and struggled to pronounce Vanek's last name even.
        Notre Dame played really well defensively, we did not. Their power play moved the puck well, ours did not. Simple as that. Gophers didn't play poorly offensively, Notre Dame's defense was just practically flawless tonight.

Gophers needed to get pucks in deep, but we had far too many turnovers at the offensive blue line. We're a really young team, and we knew there would be adversity. Well, here it is. Time to learn from it.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

mnstate0fhockey is right about the turnovers. I was at the game and it looked early like the Gophers should have been up by at least a couple of goals instead of 0-0? Second period was when I thought the Gophers got a little lazy. Notre Dame has a veteran skilled #1 power play unit. The officials gave the Gophers a couple of borderline penalties and the Irish made them pay. I still think the Gophers are a deeper team, but they need to play hard for 60 minutes against veteran teams like Notre Dame.
          Last edited by 80Miracle; 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Refs weren't great either
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I would add: Irish were very good. Quite impressed with how well ND disrupted the Gophers' game. Gave the Gophs no room and took quick advantage of Gopher mistakes. I could see the Irish making it to Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                I would add: Irish were very good. Quite impressed with how well ND disrupted the Gophers' game. Gave the Gophs no room and took quick advantage of Gopher mistakes. I could see the Irish making it to Philly.
                Agreed. They were the main reason the Gophers' special teams sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Wow this single camera at a low angle for NBCSN sucks. Real let down compared to Big 10 or FSN coverage.
                  Besides that fact, I thought NBC's announcers were awful as well. Those guys were so bad it made it hard to watch. These guys rolled out every hockey cliche' they had ever heard in what sounded like an attempt to sound "hockey savvy".

Comment

ND is a very good team, they play so well in the defensive zone which makes it tough to get grade A scoring chances. We need to get pucks in deeper tonight and stay out of the box. The 2 offensive zone penalties we had (both unnecessary) led to 2 goals by ND and essentially was the difference in the game.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

The game developed poorly:

1st period: we had the better play but just couldn't put the puck in the net.
                      2nd period: bad period where we didn't play well...particularly on special teams...when they got their rhythm and figured out the Gophers
                      3rd period: they put what they learned into practice...took advantage of NHL rink, more mature team and physical play

Unfortunately it started spiraling downhill after the Guertler penalty. The announcers actually took the time to understand Minnesota hockey and talked about it. So I guess the content was largely ok.

We'll see about tonight...but I think they have the recipe. If the Gophers don't adjust and/or take it up a notch, look for a repeat.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
                        Now that the Gophers are out of the WCHA I have a feeling these series thread are always going to be 5 pages og Gophers fans talking to themselves. I guess last week there were 2 or 3 BC fans.

Are there any Notre Dame Fans?

Bueller?
                        There are a few of us. Nice win by the Irish last night. Felt ND took control in 2nd period through remainder of the game. I was in attendance and there were a large number of Minnesoate fans. Looking forward to tonight and the next 3-4 years of playing a program with such a historical significance in college hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHANK View Post
                          There are a few of us. Nice win by the Irish last night. Felt ND took control in 2nd period through remainder of the game. I was in attendance and there were a large number of Minnesoate fans. Looking forward to tonight and the next 3-4 years of playing a program with such a historical significance in college hockey.
                          You've got a nice team, and what looks like a beautiful new arena. Congrats on a big win. Your guys shut us down, and that hasn't been easy for teams to do. If your team keeps that up, it could be a special season for you guys.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

First off, congrats to ND on a solid win.

Camera angle: blame the arena, not the network. Arenas dictate the camera angles sometimes, guys.
                            Announcers: the PBP guy was good, the color guy was HORRIBLE. Putrid. Kept repeating stuff over and over.

AND FOR THE LAST FRIGGIN' TIME, IT'S "loo-CHEE-ya," NOT "LOO-cheeya."
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              AND FOR THE LAST FRIGGIN' TIME, IT'S "loo-CHEE-ya," NOT "LOO-cheeya."
                              Also, it's Veah-nek (think "yeah"), not Vah-nek.

Comment

Also, it's Veah-nek (think "yeah"), not Vah-nek.
                                To get technical, Vah-nek is closer to how it would be pronounced in Austria...

A bit of a frustrating game last night. Gophers were having a really hard time finding space to move into off the puck. The width of the rink might have had a little to do with that, but Notre Dame did a great job with defensive positioning and awareness. It led to a lot of forced passes and unclean touches; probably the worst the Gopher passing game has looked so far this season.

Clearly special teams were the difference in the game. 5-on-5 it was a 1-1 game. I think we all knew that if MN didn't get the pk/pp sorted out it was only a matter of time until it cost them.

It's going to be another tough one tonight. I think Notre Dame is built in a way that will be tough for the Gophers. ND did a great job of taking the transition game away from MN, and there wasn't much else going for the Gophers. MN will need to get a solid forecheck going and try to get a bit more time in the offensive zone I think, but those are two areas that seem to be going against the grain for them in terms of strengths.

Hopefully special teams will be better tonight. If the Gophers lose that part of the game 2-0 again it will be extremely difficult for them to win.

Comment

Working...
                                X