Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
    Justice. What a crew. Gophs should have won by at least three.
    Bunyon and Shea (Hockey East Referees) did everything they could to keep Notre Dame in the game by picking and choosing when to call penalties. If Minnesota had tied or lost they would have had a right to be upset.

Comment

A split is good for both teams in the Pairwise. Having watched both games I would give the Gophers a "slight" edge over the Irish. Notre Dame's top line (Tynan, Rust, Costello) is probably the best line in College Hockey though.
      Last edited by 80Miracle; 11-09-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Excellent road test for this young Gopher squad this weekend. This was a hard fought, close checking game tonight and a Gopher freshman win between two very evenly matched teams, ending ND’s 11 game home winning streak dating back to Jan. 26. There were plenty of lessons learned to take back home like get the special teams fixed asap, don’t let the D get caught deep AGAIN, be more physical and stay out of the box.

Last night the second line was stonewalled by a more physical Notre Dame D that kept Kloos blanked with 0 SOG, and Condon and Cammarata with only 1 each. But tonight they showed good pace and energy early with Cammarata giving the Gophers a first period lead on his PP goal and then with Kloos adding another a few minutes later. Hudson Fasching, who notched two Gs tonight, continues to impress me as the quintessential and tenacious power forward with a motor that never slows down.

This weekend showcased a key goalie matchup between two top netminders in Summerhays and Wilcox. But it turned out to be an atypical weekend for Adam Wilcox, who never gave up 8 goals in two consecutive games all last season. Yet he managed to make his usual big saves at key moments tonight when called upon for the W.

Key positives for the Gophers were they backchecked better than last night, matched ND’s physicality better than last night, played hard overall for 60 minutes, and never trailed on the scoreboard. Credit a good veteran Notre Dame team with huge talent up front and on the backline for an intense weekend of hockey in their house. They’re a veteran team with solid fundamentals that I expect to see in the postseason as a true contender for an NC. NEXT: A team that always seems to bring their "A" game against the Gophers…the Purple Cows. Go Gophers! Rah!

Comment

GAME HIGHLIGHTS (WatchND)

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
            Justice. What a crew. Gophs should have won by at least three.
            More proof, Notre Dame cheats!
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Well I admit I was wrong, to some degree. I defended the idea of MN playing ND as good for them. But I can't say I want to see them play ND at ND again. TV and internet coverage was pretty poor compared to what we are used to. Makes you realize how good Gopher fans have it with FSN coverage. Even BTN seems very good compared to the two options we had this weekend.

Glad to see the Gophs bounce back with a better performance last night. Great to see Bisch get the GWG. Hopefully we won't see the team slip back into the bad Friday, good Saturday routine again this season. More importantly, I hope they can find a way to hit their stride at the end of the season this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Well I admit I was wrong, to some degree. I defended the idea of MN playing ND as good for them. But I can't say I want to see them play ND at ND again. TV and internet coverage was pretty poor compared to what we are used to. Makes you realize how good Gopher fans have it with FSN coverage. Even BTN seems very good compared to the two options we had this weekend.

Glad to see the Gophs bounce back with a better performance last night. Great to see Bisch get the GWG. Hopefully we won't see the team slip back into the bad Friday, good Saturday routine again this season. More importantly, I hope they can find a way to hit their stride at the end of the season this year.
                Dude! Don't be a spoiler, I think the 3rd period just started and when the feed stops buffering I will continue watching.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  I defended the idea of MN playing ND as good for them. But I can't say I want to see them play ND at ND again.
                  Wholeheartedly agree from a fan perspective. But from the team's point of view, playing them down there is probably a good thing.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    Dude! Don't be a spoiler, I think the 3rd period just started and when the feed stops buffering I will continue watching.

That was the way the AK games went for me last year. Still waiting to see period 3 from Sat game. I had very little buffering (have to talk to the wife about that). Online, it was having 50% of the shots being the closeups from the behind the glass in the corners, including staying with it after the puck was completely out of view or where the puck was 3/4 the way down the rink and you couldn't tell where anyone was, that drove me nuts, or maybe, more nuts. Every PP seemed to be shown from the corner, where you had no idea how players were set up and you couldn't see the play develop.

I guess I should be less pessimistic. They won. I got my deer even though I got pushed out of my spot I've been hunting for years by some guys who built a permanent stand. It's hanging in the garage. (No Gurt, I'm not giving you my address. It is a buck anyway, if that matters to you.)

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post

That was the way the AK games went for me last year. Still waiting to see period 3 from Sat game. I had very little buffering (have to talk to the wife about that). Online, it was having 50% of the shots being the closeups from the behind the glass in the corners, including staying with it after the puck was completely out of view or where the puck was 3/4 the way down the rink and you couldn't tell where anyone was, that drove me nuts, or maybe, more nuts. Every PP seemed to be shown from the corner, where you had no idea how players were set up and you couldn't see the play develop.

I guess I should be less pessimistic. They won. I got my deer even though I got pushed out of my spot I've been hunting for years by some guys who built a permanent stand. It's hanging in the garage. (No Gurt, I'm not giving you my address. It is a buck anyway, if that matters to you.)

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        More proof, Notre Dame cheats!
                        I think it's the Mario Factor, he gets the Irish pumped up to play us.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Wholeheartedly agree from a fan perspective. But from the team's point of view, playing them down there is probably a good thing.
                          Despite the less than ideal TV coverage, it was an important litmus test for the Gophers to be on the road and it exposed some weaknesses that are fixable. These NC road series are important for that reason. The Gophers have already scheduled the following NCs with HE teams:

2013-14: Notre Dame twice on road; Boston College twice at Mariucci.
                          2014-15: Notre Dame twice at Mariucci; Boston College and Northeastern for single games on the road.
                          2016-17: Notre Dame twice on road; Northeastern twice at Mariucci.

Unless tDon is a fortune teller, this prearranged NC schedule was NOT based upon whether these are going to be "good" teams or not. Northeastern has struggled much like UAA and has only been above .500 once in their last 10 seasons, the year they made the NCAAs. ND has only played above .500 hockey and made the NCAAs 2/4 previous seasons. Lucia made it clear a few months ago that with the conference realignment, he wanted to expand their schedule to focus on playing eastern teams (you mean he's looking east like ND? ), particularly solid hockey programs in HE. After ND drops off the schedule in 2016-17 (and Mario graduates...), the Whioux will come on the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Despite the less than ideal TV coverage, it was an important litmus test for the Gophers to be on the road and it exposed some weaknesses that are fixable. These NC road series are important for that reason. The Gophers have already scheduled the following NCs with HE teams:

2013-14: Notre Dame twice on road; Boston College twice at Mariucci.
                            2014-15: Notre Dame twice at Mariucci; Boston College and Northeastern for single games on the road.
                            2016-17: Notre Dame twice on road; Northeastern twice at Mariucci.

Unless tDon is a fortune teller, this prearranged NC schedule was NOT based upon whether these are going to be "good" teams or not. Northeastern has struggled much like UAA and has only been above .500 once in their last 10 seasons, the year they made the NCAAs. ND has only played above .500 hockey and made the NCAAs 2/4 previous seasons. Lucia made it clear a few months ago that with the conference realignment, he wanted to expand their schedule to focus on playing eastern teams (you mean he's looking east like ND? ), particularly solid hockey programs in HE. After ND drops off the schedule in 2016-17 (and Mario graduates...), the Whioux will come on the schedule.
                            You sure about this? I thought we had two on the road at BC next year...and had one on the road against Notre Dame next year in the ice breaker.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              You sure about this? I thought we had two on the road at BC next year...and had one on the road against Notre Dame next year in the ice breaker.
                              It would be unusual for any non-conference team (BC) to agree to come here and play two games, two years in a row, as it would any non-conference team (MN) to play a pair of games against Notre Dame, two years in a row, in South Bend.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Pretty sure it is @BC next year and 1 game in the ice breaker @Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X