• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers
    replied
    Re: John t whelan ranking simulator

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Clarkson and Yale...chn and siouxsports are insignificantly different but there are multiple teams with a different ranking for uscho compared to chn and siouxsports.
    Found this discussion interesting also. I went back and did a check. Unless I can't see what I am missing, uscho and chn show exactly the same values. The ratios between teams in uscho/chn compared to siouxsports are close to with a few parts in 10000.

What I am expecting happened here was that ShirtlessGuy was looking while all 3 sites were processing results from tonight's Beanpot games. One site may have had all the results, the others not yet. It seems now, with all results in, that the numbers for KRACH are the same (up to a constant multiplier, of course. Which multiplier is 1.545)
    Last edited by Numbers; 02-03-2014, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Clarkson and Yale...chn and siouxsports are insignificantly different but there are multiple teams with a different ranking for uscho compared to chn and siouxsports.
    are there teams with the same value? There are two possibilities... missing game(s). A few substantial differences with some minor but existing deviations. Other possibility, iterations and round-off error... unlikely at this point but if so every team would have small deviations.

Otherwise I'd start to see if they're accidentally putting in weighted games into KRACH.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
    Based on my quick spot checks, the rankings are all the same and the ratios between the ratings are all the same. The actual rankings in KRACH are arbitrary, it's the ratio between two rankings that predicts the likelihood of one team beating another.

Leave a comment:

• JimDahl
    replied

This seems like the right thread to ask. I just started looking at KRACH today because gfmorris has been using it to predict WCHA results and noticed that USCHO, CHN and SiouxSports all claim to be showing KRACH values for teams but they all have different values?
    Based on my quick spot checks, the rankings are all the same and the ratios between the ratings are all the same. The actual rankings in KRACH are arbitrary, it's the ratio between two rankings that predicts the likelihood of one team beating another.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

This seems like the right thread to ask. I just started looking at KRACH today because gfmorris has been using it to predict WCHA results and noticed that USCHO, CHN and SiouxSports all claim to be showing KRACH values for teams but they all have different values?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Thanks. I should have mentioned, I actually fixed a problem on my end in the interim. USCHO incorrectly has Bentley v. Holy Cross listed as a home game instead of neutral, so may calculations for those two were off by a smidge. Easy to find when it's two teams that are off, but a reminder of how painful it's going to be to care about location. As discussed earlier in this thread, I clearly need to write a parser for CHS and begin to treat it as authoritative.
    awk FTW

Leave a comment:

• JimDahl
    replied

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
    It looks like they match now; must have caught one of us between updates.

http://pwr.reillyhamilton.com/pwr.php will pull/scrape updated results; I never implemented a caching layer and the .html page has fallen wildly out of date.
    Thanks. I should have mentioned, I actually fixed a problem on my end in the interim. USCHO incorrectly has Bentley v. Holy Cross listed as a home game instead of neutral, so may calculations for those two were off by a smidge. Easy to find when it's two teams that are off, but a reminder of how painful it's going to be to care about location. As discussed earlier in this thread, I clearly need to write a parser for CHS and begin to treat it as authoritative.

Leave a comment:

• RHamilton
    replied

Where is Reilly's? I had this bookmarked, but it doesn't seem to match up at all.
    It looks like they match now; must have caught one of us between updates.

http://pwr.reillyhamilton.com/pwr.php will pull/scrape updated results; I never implemented a caching layer and the .html page has fallen wildly out of date.

Leave a comment:

• JimDahl
    replied

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    JimDahl and RHamilton - Just a note, and you probably are aware of this, but the last I checked, your current Final RPI numbers for all teams are identical, except for Bentley and Holy Cross, and I am not sure why that is.
    Where is Reilly's? I had this bookmarked, but it doesn't seem to match up at all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Priceless,
    If SCSU's region is arbitrary, then wouldn't it also be possible to put Providence in Worcester because it's so much close for them?

I would get the same brackets, but reverse the locations of Worcester and Bridgeport.
    Sure. In this scenario, it doesn't really matter.

Leave a comment:

• Numbers
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Only one host team makes the tournament, and they just happen to also be the #1 overall seed, so placing them is easy. Minnesota goes to St. Paul. Next, the remaining #1 seeds are placed according to proximity to campus. #2 Ferris State goes to Cincinnati. #3 St Cloud State isn't within driving distance of either Worcester or Bridgeport, so we'll place them in Worcester and #4 Providence will get Bridgeport.
    Priceless,
    If SCSU's region is arbitrary, then wouldn't it also be possible to put Providence in Worcester because it's so much close for them?

I would get the same brackets, but reverse the locations of Worcester and Bridgeport.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

After the games this weekend I'll start a pairwise thread with a look back at the pairwise as of the first weekend of January since 2003. For now, here is the bracketology for the New Year:

Using the pairwise from SiouxSports/Reilly Hamilton because they seem to have the most accurate calculations at this point.

1 Minnesota
    2 Ferris State
    3 St. Cloud State
    4 Providence
    5 Boston College
    6 Union
    7 Quinnipiac
    8 Mass.-Lowell
    9 Wisconsin
    10 Michigan
    11 Clarkson
    12 Vermont
    13 Cornell
    14 Maine
    15 Northeastern
    32 Air Force
    ---
    16 Notre Dame

Only one host team makes the tournament, and they just happen to also be the #1 overall seed, so placing them is easy. Minnesota goes to St. Paul. Next, the remaining #1 seeds are placed according to proximity to campus. #2 Ferris State goes to Cincinnati. #3 St Cloud State isn't within driving distance of either Worcester or Bridgeport, so we'll place them in Worcester and #4 Providence will get Bridgeport.

The 2 seeds are placed accordingly: #8 Lowell is St Paul, #7 Quinnipiac in Cincinnati, #6 Union in Worcester and #5 Boston College in Bridgeport.

The first intraconference matchups crop up as we place the 3 seeds. #11 Clarkson and #12 Vermont are switched to avoid conference confrontations in the first round. Clarkson to Bridgeport to play BC and Vermont to Worcester to play Union. The B1G teams stay west, with #10 Michigan going to Cincinnati and #9 Wisconsin going to St Paul.

Air Force is our #16 seed as the automatic qualifier from the AHA goes to St Paul to play Minnesota. #15 Northeastern goes to Cincinnati, #14 Maine to Worcester and #13 Cornell to Bridgeport.

Code:
    Bridgeport (Yale)	Worcester (Holy Cross)	Cincinnati (Miami)	St Paul (Minnesota)
    Providence		St Cloud		Ferris			Minnesota
    Boston College		Union			Quinnipiac		Lowell
    Clarkson		Vermont			Michigan		Wisconsin
    Cornell			Maine			Northeastern		Air Force
    We have resolved the 2 conference meetings, but what about attendance? St Paul is fine. Bridgeport has 4 eastern schools and PC and BC are local so they should be OK. Worcester is a little light, but drivable for Maine fans hungry to get back to the NCAAs and Union and Vermont should add a few fans. Cincinnati is stuck with two eastern teams, but without host Miami making the field this is about as good as it gets. All their hopes for attendance lie with the Wolverines.

These are the brackets as of December 31.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Also, FlagDude, do you have a recent "Results" file available? I can't find anything past Dec 8 on your website.

Thanks.
    I do not have a recent one.

Leave a comment:

• Numbers
    replied

Also, FlagDude, do you have a recent "Results" file available? I can't find anything past Dec 8 on your website.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Numbers
    replied

JimDahl and RHamilton - Just a note, and you probably are aware of this, but the last I checked, your current Final RPI numbers for all teams are identical, except for Bentley and Holy Cross, and I am not sure why that is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X