Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John t whelan ranking simulator

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Weird. I click on the Sunday game and the message indicates Michigan State is the winner. When I click on "hide completed games" it no longer shows up. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. We'll check again next week.
    You're not doing anything wrong on that part. If you click "Hide Completed Games", that's going to remove from the display any game in which an outcome has been determined. By saying "Michigan State won", the outcome is determined. If the game were set to "Not Played / No Contest", it'd still be there. However, the game is still in the master list.

Comment

Moving this back here

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Update after games played on 10 November 2013:

And the tournament field:

Boston College
      Minnesota
      St. Cloud State
      Providence

Miami
      Quinnipiac
      Michigan
      St. Lawrence

Notre Dame
      Wisconsin
      Northeastern
      Boston University

Ferris State
      North Dakota
      UMASS Lowell
      AHA Champ (39 - Air Force)
      I get different results and I figured out why. No matter which version I download, I get V 0.1 on my system. I tried deleting everything and starting over, but still get V 0.1 even when I download from the links for version 2 or 3.

Comment

Moving this back here

I get different results and I figured out why. No matter which version I download, I get V 0.1 on my system. I tried deleting everything and starting over, but still get V 0.1 even when I download from the links for version 2 or 3.
        Interesting... unless I'm demented and threw the wrong executable in on each one. How are you running this? The exe or jar?

I just took a look, and it looks like the right jar wasn't updated. Try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Interesting... unless I'm demented and threw the wrong executable in on each one. How are you running this? The exe or jar?

I just took a look, and it looks like the right jar wasn't updated. Try it again.
          That works. I have v .3 and my results match - except my results broke the tie between UML and NoDak in Lowell's favor (which it shouldn't have based on RPI).

Comment

That works. I have v .3 and my results match - except my results broke the tie between UML and NoDak in Lowell's favor (which it shouldn't have based on RPI).
            Works for me also. I now have version 0.3. My results have NoDak ahead of Lowell, though. I wonder what is causing that inconsistency, FD?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
              Works for me also. I now have version 0.3. My results have NoDak ahead of Lowell, though. I wonder what is causing that inconsistency, FD?
              Probably because there isn't an actual algorithm for tiebreak, and it sorts it based upon your last sort. Perhaps Priceless was alphabetical, but Numbers was by RatingsPI. This, along with the Quality Wins Bonus, is actually a fix for version 0.4.

Comment

Why no Holy Cross at Connecticut game on your schedule list for tonight, Flaggy?

Comment

I guess if this is the "chosen" PWR/RPI discussion thread, I have another implementation question! On that note, perhaps a unified thread with a better topic/subject is at hand?

Are wins with negative impact removed before quality win bonuses have been applied or after? It seems like a question that shouldn't need to be answered (and probably won't need to be by season's end), but right now my implementation is removing BC's win over Rensselaer due to negative impact, yet Rensselaer is in the top 20 and thus yields a quality win bonus for the (removed) game. Definitely doesn't seem right to add a bonus for a removed game, but the NCAA memo establishes a fairly clear order of operations -- bonuses come last. Further, the bonus BC receives from the win over Rensselaer exceeds the penalty sustained to their RPI if the win is NOT removed, so it would be an injustice to BC to only award Quality Win Bonuses to non-removed games.
                  RPI Class of 2012
                  Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Why no Holy Cross at Connecticut game on your schedule list for tonight, Flaggy?
                    Perhaps it was rescheduled? There have been several reschedules since we had that schedules thread in the off-season.

EDIT: It was originally scheduled for December 14th. Once I get the Tuesday games in, I will put up the new listing to reflect that game.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-13-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                      I guess if this is the "chosen" PWR/RPI discussion thread, I have another implementation question! On that note, perhaps a unified thread with a better topic/subject is at hand?

Are wins with negative impact removed before quality win bonuses have been applied or after? It seems like a question that shouldn't need to be answered (and probably won't need to be by season's end), but right now my implementation is removing BC's win over Rensselaer due to negative impact, yet Rensselaer is in the top 20 and thus yields a quality win bonus for the (removed) game. Definitely doesn't seem right to add a bonus for a removed game, but the NCAA memo establishes a fairly clear order of operations -- bonuses come last. Further, the bonus BC receives from the win over Rensselaer exceeds the penalty sustained to their RPI if the win is NOT removed, so it would be an injustice to BC to only award Quality Win Bonuses to non-removed games.
                      You may want to check your calculations. The only removal I have for BC is against Army on November 10th. Likewise, to a discussion we were having previously, the wins I have removed for RPI are October 19th vs. Sacred Heart (the home win) and November 2nd vs. Dartmouth, but the away win vs. Sacred Heart stays, given the weighting allows for a higher RatingsPI for RPI.

Comment

Here are the results as of games completed 12 November 2013:

Quality Wins Bonus:
                        5.00 Minnesota
                        4.75 St. Cloud State
                        4.50 Providence
                        4.25 Boston College
                        4.00 Michigan
                        3.75 Quinnipiac
                        3.50 Northeastern
                        3.25 Miami
                        3.00 Wisconsin
                        2.75 Ferris State
                        2.50 Notre Dame
                        2.25 LSSU
                        2.00 Bowling Green
                        1.75 RPI
                        1.50 North Dakota
                        1.25 UMASS Lowell
                        1.00 Minnesota State Mankato
                        0.75 St. Lawrence
                        0.50 Vermont
                        0.25 Yale

And, given the discussions we had on the other thread, the tournament field according to version 0.4 of the application which has fixed how the Quality Wins Bonus is calculated, and is soon to be released:

Minnesota
                        St. Cloud State
                        Providence
                        Boston College

Michigan
                        Quinnipiac
                        Miami
                        Northeastern

Wisconsin
                        Ferris State
                        Notre Dame
                        LSSU

Bowling Green
                        RPI
                        North Dakota
                        AHA Champ (36 - Air Force)

Comment

With respect to RHamilton, I would like to ask admin to change the name of the thread to "2013-14 PWR/RPI discussion". Can anyone help me know how to do that?

Comment

Flaggy,

Remember when I was asking about the size of the RPI bonus? It seemed really really big to me. Then, I found this on the CHN website explanation:

The total bonus for the season is divided by the amount of games played (weighted for home-road), to give a final bonus figure.

This makes much more sense to me.

I am sure you had explained that, and I just missed it.

EDIT: Do you have an NCAA ice-hockey link for how to calculate this number? Your list is quite different from CHN's.
                            Last edited by Numbers; 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Flaggy,

Remember when I was asking about the size of the RPI bonus? It seemed really really big to me. Then, I found this on the CHN website explanation:

The total bonus for the season is divided by the amount of games played (weighted for home-road), to give a final bonus figure.

This makes much more sense to me.

I am sure you had explained that, and I just missed it.

EDIT: Do you have an NCAA ice-hockey link for how to calculate this number? Your list is quite different from CHN's.
                              Like I said, I did just notice that, and was discussed previously. Version 0.4 will be released that reflects this change.

As for your other question, there really isn't a single source that provides a specific algorithm; it had to be derived from the text given.

Comment

Flag and others,

I think I now have v 0.4 and Nov 12 games. Here is what I get:

Minn
                                SCSU
                                Prov
                                BC

Mich
                                Quinn
                                Miami
                                NoEastern

Wisc
                                Ferris
                                NoDame
                                LSSU

Bowling Green
                                RPI
                                NoDak
                                AHA - Air Force at 36th

Bubble:
                                StL
                                Lowell
                                Mankato

Also, Flag, I still think something is amiss. Minnesota's RPI and RPI w/o bonus are the same. I am using version 0.4, and 11-12-13 data. Of course, Minny has wins against both BC and NoDame at present, as well as a tie with BC, so their RPI should rise with the bonus.
                                Last edited by Numbers; 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM. Reason: Minnesota RPI bonus

Comment

Working...
                                X