Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Some thoughts.

1. UNO is now 4-0 against Sam Brittain this season, who is 15-9-6 against everybody else.

2. We score 4 times, including 3 power play goals, and Josh Archibald figured in none of it.

3. This was one of the most penalty filled games UNO played all season (but not THE most), 51 minutes of penalties, 31 of them by UNO.

4. I have seen zero mention in any coverage of the game about ice conditions at the Clink. Having seen upwards of 250 UNO hockey games in this facility, they were about as bad as I can ever remember seeing them. It noticeably slowed the game down to my eye, something I think plays in DU's favor. It's going to be upwards of 20 degrees cooler in Omaha than yesterday (although still relatively warm) and we'll have to see what sort of an issue that is or is not going to be tonight.

5. Easily was one of the finest games of Brock Montpetit's career here.

6. I don't know if anybody agrees with me necessarily but I didn't think this was a particularly well played game by either team, really (although I think the ice conditions may have played a role in that).

7. The game was played in front of the 2nd the smallest crowd of the season (3,873), eclipsed only by the NAIT exhibition game to start the season. There will be more people in the building tonight, but, it won't be anything to write home about, either. 5,000ish would be my guess, looking at Ticketmaster. This is almost entirely the school's fault, by the way, and is something that somebody ought to be held accountable for.

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of quality the streaming video on the NCHC's web site was like. I obviously didn't see it.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Barn

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Some thoughts.

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of quality the streaming video on the NCHC's web site was like. I obviously didn't see it.

Saw the stream was great for a freebee. They used the radio play by play then added the house audio at the same time which was poor quality. I kept my finger on the remote. I went to considerable expense and haasle to be able to watch streamed games but when it came time to ditch the boob tube and get a flat screen I held back and got a 24" for the bedroom which sits 9 ft from my eyes while I'm laying in bed. That tv will become a desk monitor before october if I don't go fishing too much this summer. If.
      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

• Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Yeah, looked like they added one of those 3s onto the beginning or end.
        Oh... so it was a Price is Right game.... I get it
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Frankly, if we defeat DU tonight I, for one, will be a tad surprised.

One of the problems UNO has, it seems to me, is it isn't a "character" team, in my book. And, some of the dumb things I see some of our players do, and on a consistent basis, also makes me think that some of them are not very bright, either. Neither is a prescription for consistent success no natter how much talent you might have or how well your team skates. Throw in some very marginal goaltending........................

Ice conditions were much better last night, not that it helped. And, about 1000 more people showed up. Since we are playing directly against Creighton's participation in the Big East tourney championship game tonight it will be interesting to see how many people are at the game here tonight.

UNO, in important games, with Coach Blais at the helm, has a dismal, dismal track record.

Comment

Frankly, if we defeat DU tonight I, for one, will be a tad surprised.

One of the problems UNO has, it seems to me, is it isn't a "character" team, in my book. And, some of the dumb things I see some of our players do, and on a consistent basis, also makes me think that some of them are not very bright, either. Neither is a prescription for consistent success no natter how much talent you might have or how well your team skates. Throw in some very marginal goaltending........................

Ice conditions were much better last night, not that it helped. And, about 1000 more people showed up. Since we are playing directly against Creighton's participation in the Big East tourney championship game tonight it will be interesting to see how many people are at the game here tonight.

UNO, in important games, with Coach Blais at the helm, has a dismal, dismal track record.
            Well Tanner Lane's melt down sure didn't look very good. He's lucky the refs didn't call him on his little tizzy fit. And he's really lucky his broken stick didn't do any good. I look for him to be scratched tonight. It's obvious DU was coached to be annoying which is ok I guess if it helps you win.

Comment

Epitaph for the season.

The word of the day around here is, "expectations".

There are basically two camps.

1. The fans that see a team that was picked 8th, finished 3rd, and possesses a proven National Championship Coach that has been unfortunate to lose some key players through defections to the pros and due to disciplinary circumstances the past few seasons. They note that UNO is moving into a new arena season after next (one that these souls, by and large, also think is large enough for the program) and that UNO has arguably the best recruiting class in school history, by a ton, arriving on campus next season. These people see the glass half full.

2. Then, there are the fans that think that our head coach is just playing out the string, that his best days are behind him, and that he really doesn't care all that much any more. These people point out that Coach Blais publicly said he'd win a National Championship by his 3rd season here during his first season on the job. They also point out that his biggest success as a head coach here (so far) came not with his players, but, with that of his predecessor, Mike Kemp. They are also tired of how off ice matters torpedoed the program the prior three seasons and don't understand why or how the past 4 seasons, including this one, have gotten off to tremendous starts, only to have the team melt down each and every one of those seasons to one degree or another. The people in this camp also wonder why UNO doesn't have a goalie in it's incoming "monster" class, despite this being the "A #1 need" of the program at the moment. Some of these people are openly talking about the need for Coach Blais to go. Their glass is half empty.

What do I think?

My opinion is comprised of a little of both. Because of his past track record, I am inclined to give Coach Blais the benefit of the doubt, but, without that track record I would probably be through with him. I am willing to give it another year (his contract runs out at the end of next season, by the way) based on the class that he has coming in. He needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk, because, as I have said before, he is rapidly using up the coupons in his book around here. He is fortunate that it was so large in the first place. With the resources he has at hand, I expect that UNO should be competing for conference titles on a somewhat regular basis and be in the NCAA tournament hunt more often than not as well. UNO is the 3rd largest school in the conference and will probably be the 2nd largest within 2 seasons. And UNO has the 2nd largest athletic department budget of schools that don't sponsor football in the conference. It is one of few schools in the conference where hockey is easily the school's signature and primary sport. The school is located in a major metropolitan area with 5 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in it. The school has one of the largest booster clubs in all of college hockey. The program has only finished as low 8th in attendance, nationally, once in program history and has finished 6th or higher every other year other than that one outlier season. With all these resources at hand for this program (and a new arena coming), my expectations are high and so is that of a not insignificant portion of our fanbase. And, I probably don't need to mention my disgust of the small size of the facility we are building--that is well trodden ground.

So, It's a wait and see attitude that I will have until sometime next season when either our ship will have been sent sailing in the direction it ought to be, or, I'm going to really start screaming for changes to be made, along with other UNO fans that feel like I do. I know they are out there. I have talked to a lot of them.

One thing I will say, though. Dean Blais and this team had no business losing a home playoff series after winning the first game of it against a team with a first year head coach, one that, before dropping the last 2 games at home in the playoffs to them, you had been 4-1 against.

That is inexcusable. As crazy as it may sound to outsiders, Coach Blais clock is ticking around here with a not insignificant portion of our fans.

The countdown to next season has started.
              Last edited by Red Cows; 03-16-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

let his contract run out. when it does I fully expect dean to be gone. If his contract was going to be renewed it would have been already. There are plenty of coaches really good ones who have played in our barn and know what we're about and many of them will be chomping at the bit to apply. I want to move outside of Omaha and if I do I won't buy season tickets until he is gone. I wonder what George is up to.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                  let his contract run out. when it does I fully expect dean to be gone. If his contract was going to be renewed it would have been already. There are plenty of coaches really good ones who have played in our barn and know what we're about and many of them will be chomping at the bit to apply. I want to move outside of Omaha and if I do I won't buy season tickets until he is gone. I wonder what George is up to.
                  Don't forget that Trev's runs out at the beginning of next season as well. He has gone from being very much in evidence to being non-existent. I saw him at a game once this entire season. Previously, I've saw him at practically every game. He was introduced during the fete of the UNO track athletes between periods the other night except for one thing---he was nowhere to be found--he was a no-show even though he was introduced as being on the ice.

When have you EVER seen a university undergo/begin/announce a major facility expansion/upgrade/addition in your life that wasn't done with major fanfare? UNO had no groundbreaking ceremony of any kind for the new arena, despite Coach Blais assertion during a USCHO Live interview in November where he said there'd be one in December. Tom Shatel of the Omaha World Herald told me in an email in late December that the paper had heard squat, at that time, about any plans to have one, either.

Trev Alberts, for all intents and purposes, seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth, to the extent that I find myself wondering if he has some sort of health issue we don't know about.

As far as Coach Blais, despite a lot of what I call "public consumption" things that he says, it has always struck me to this day how he doesn't use phrases like "we" or "our team" or "us" and continually refers to us in the third person when he talks about the program, referring to us that way as "Omaha", for example, like he has never really taken possession of the reins here. "Omaha this" or "Omaha that". Very, very odd. He reminds me of girl I used to know that every time you spoke to her at a gathering, a party, or even on the phone, she always yawned a lot and gave you the impression that she always had something better she could be doing. That is a lot of the vibe I get from Coach Blais.

Throw in the almost non-existence of any promotion of the hockey program, supposedly the school's signature sport and cash cow (and the amount done has gone downhill with each year of Trev Alberts tenure) and I find myself wondering what in the hell is going on down there. By the way, could the gameday experience at the Clink possibly have gotten any worse than it is? Notice that sponsorship of the silly on-ice stuff between periods has fallen off drastically and things they used to have, or, do disappeared? "What's in the box?", "Where's Taco Girl?", etc.? I mean, basically, they turn on the lights, play the game, and everyone goes home and for the past 4 years, less and less has been happening in that time frame. Organist disappeared, Jawa disappeared, band's disappeared, I mean, has anybody noticed all these things?

I don't know what is going on down at the UNO Athletic Department but I sure don't like what I am seeing. At all.

The only thing I can surmise is that they are broke to the point of not being able to do any more than this and it's my hope that we see an improvement once in the new arena. That said, I fully expect UNO to be treated like the lame duck they are next season by MECA in what will be their last season in the Clink. THAT started this season, from all appearances.
                  Last edited by Red Cows; 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Uh oh, hope this doesn't portend bad things:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201403090105

I watched Archibald a lot this season pretty intently and he is strictly an offensive player, by the way. He was a tad lazy on D.

We really need him to come back next year.

Interview with incoming UNO recruit David Pope, who is a 4th round draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMp...ature=youtu.be

Judging by what he says is his favorite food, its no wonder he is coming here.

edit: Jack McNeely added to UNO's already extremely impressive recruiting haul:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...nebraska-omaha
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

"What's in the box?", "Where's Taco Girl?", etc.? I mean, basically, they turn on the lights, play the game, and everyone goes home and for the past 4 years, less and less has been happening in that time frame. Organist disappeared, Jawa disappeared, band's disappeared, I mean, has anybody noticed all these things?

I don't know what is going on down at the UNO Athletic Department but I sure don't like what I am seeing. At all.

The only thing I can surmise is that they are broke to the point of not being able to do any more than this and it's my hope that we see an improvement once in the new arena. That said, I fully expect UNO to be treated like the lame duck they are next season by MECA in what will be their last season in the Clink. THAT started this season, from all appearances.
                      the organist couldn't play a lick. Whenever he tried to play Jump by Van Halen I was embarrased for him. And jaway was another embarrassment we can live without. Just keep it simple. Bring back the band teach the fans the words to the fight song fly the blimp with give aways the kids will enjoy instead of $20 oil changes. Right now they have the mentality that they will fix everything once the new arena is built but nobody seems to know how to fix anything. Have an alumni game during intermission. Think of something.

Comment

Josh Archibald is named one of the finalists for the Hobey Baker Award:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/03/20/bost...y-baker-award/

Congrats, Josh.

While I don't think he is going to win or even deserves to, it raises another issue.

I'd like to see a listing of teams that have ever had finalists (different guys) in back to back seasons like UNO has, that didn't make it to the post season in at least one of those seasons.

Plus, both the players played together (Archibald and Walters) BOTH seasons the other was a finalist

UNO played this season with two Hobey Baker Award finalists on the team and they STILL can't punch their way out of a paper bag. They didn't even play on the same line.

This is more depressing than it is something to crow about, really, when you think about it.

Comment

Josh Archibald is named one of the finalists for the Hobey Baker Award:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/03/20/bost...y-baker-award/

Congrats, Josh.

While I don't think he is going to win or even deserves to, it raises another issue.

I'd like to see a listing of teams that have ever had finalists (different guys) in back to back seasons like UNO has, that didn't make it to the post season in at least one of those seasons.

Plus, both the players played together (Archibald and Walters) BOTH seasons the other was a finalist

UNO played this season with two Hobey Baker Award finalists on the team and they STILL can't punch their way out of a paper bag. They didn't even play on the same line.

This is more depressing than it is something to crow about, really, when you think about it.
                          You know I sat there during the last 2 home games and wondered why Dean didn't try playing Walters on defence and put Mike Young in the wing as an offensive player just to mess with the other team and generate some scoring opportunities. I'm glad he got a few goals and I think he had some jump and puck luck that might have helped. Ryan Walters turning pro probably won't turn any heads. He is too snake bit. Interesting developments in the playoffs. Real good bunch of teams in this conference. I just hope Zahn heals from his broken leg and can play professionally next season. He deserves the chance. Does anyone know if Sam Brittain was drafted?

Comment

I guess I'd be pretty remiss if I didn't point out that Josh Archibald is the winner of the conference's first ever Player of the Year award as well as Forward of the Year, to boot, to go along with his Hobey candidacy:

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_artic...rrer_id=878553

We'll see what everybody thinks of Jake Guentzel not winning the Rookie of the Year honor after he wins the same awards Archibald just won--next season.

Congrats, Josh.

Comment

Archibald signs with Pittsburgh.

http://www.wbspenguins.com/articles/...oins-penguins#
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                Ugh, and he will wear jersey #54 for them, I see.

Not exactly unexpected, though.

Stories like this one is a reason I frequent this board instead of Mavpuck.

Not a word about this over there. Nor on their Facebook or Twitter pages. Your post might even become the impetus for it showing up there.
                                Last edited by Red Cows; 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X