Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Don't think many Gopher fans would trade our recruits for yours...but Blais has created an amazing franchise in NE and is one of the best NCAA coaches ever.
    That was one of the themes of the responses I got in the Gopher thread.

We'll know a whole lot more about that one in about 5 years.

FYI, there IS an undercurrent in our fanbase that Coach Blais has not accomplished very much in his tenure here (read: results on the ice) and that his biggest success here came with his predecessor's players.

Say all you want about the incoming class we have, it is notable that we don't have a single goalie in it and it is the biggest need this team has, IMHO.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-06-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Josh Archibald is the NCHC Player-of-the-Month:

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_artic...rrer_id=878553

He should also be the NCAA's Player-of-the-Month as well.

I have serious doubts there are any real challengers there, either. His month was so good that he worked his way into the Hobey discussion.
      "Surprise!"

Archibald is the HCA Player of the Month, too:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/03/06/nebr...-for-february/

I don't think there was really a lot of suspense involved here.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 03-06-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

That was one of the themes of the responses I got in the Gopher thread.

We'll know a whole lot more about that one in about 5 years.

FYI, there IS an undercurrent in our fanbase that Coach Blais has not accomplished very much in his tenure here (read: results on the ice) and that his biggest success here came with his predecessor's players.

Say all you want about the incoming class we have, it is notable that we don't have a single goalie in it and it is the biggest need this team has, IMHO.
        Lucky for you, I don't see UNO pulling a DU when they fired the Gwoz.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Lucky for you, I don't see UNO pulling a DU when they fired the Gwoz.
          That still has me scratching my head.

I thought the object is to find coaches like that, not fire them.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 03-06-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Dayn Belfour says he was "forced out" at UNO

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/293187/

Since he barely played here (10 career games and a total of about 350 minutes played), considering UNO's goalie situation, in general, he must have really stunk in practice and I note his comment that no other D-1 team was interested in him, either.

Comment

I'm glad you found that I was gonna post it on here and find your thoughts. He also had a funny quote about people told him he as a "sieve" and that "he sucks". Did he just play a game at St. Cloud State?
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

UNO backs into home ice tonight by virtue of Western Michigan's loss.

This, on the back of one of the most woeful performances in school history. With a conference title still on the line along with the words of Coach Blais, who said publicly this week that our players were super stoked and very ready to play this series, the Mavericks then went out and authored up one the worst defeats in school history.

Very, very impressive.

UNO has lost games in program history by 11 goals (once), 9 goals (once), 8 goals (once), 7 goals (4 times) and 6 goals (4 times, including tonight).

Really inspiring, guys. You authored up the 5th worse defeat in school history tonight (along with the other 3 games in that 6 goal realm).

Coach Blais should be ashamed, in my book. A season high 33 minutes of penalties! The best player on our team makes a bonehead play, gets a major, and gets tossed. Eight different players took penalties. The fewest shots on goal we've gotten in a game all season.

Yes, we were really prepared all right. To get our asses kicked in an almost historic way we were.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I think dean is trying to get himself fired
                  UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Here is the ticket information pursuant to home ice as it pertains the City of Omaha's jerking around of the UNO Athletic Department in scheduling a Demi Lovato concert at the Clink in the middle of the NCHC tournament since they figured UNO would not get home ice:

http://view.tmclient.ticketmaster.co...3_11666702&r=0

Courtesy of Mavpuck.

Edit: I since got the email from the school myself, since posting this.
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-08-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                      I think dean is trying to get himself fired
                      If his level of "care" is still what it apparently was when he was at North Dakota then we have recruiting issues that go beyond talent, or lack thereof. We are then in the realm of character issues (plus, we don't have a goaltender).

He doesn't talk like a guy that really "cares" in my book, though. I get the "mailing it in" vibe every time I hear him talk about our team and the program. THAT has concerned me for some time. He is always pretty vague and not very specific. It's hard to gauge since he doesn't get a lot of press here since the media here usually gives the Mav hockey program kinda sketchy, pseudo-coverage. It's down the totem pole here pretty far, unfortunately, which is sad, because the UNO hockey program's potential upside here is tremendous.
                      Last edited by Red Cows; 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I wonder if he decided a couple of years ago that this would be his last stop before retirement and he didn't/ doesn't want to pack up and relocate again unless that means moving to his cabin in Minnesota and all he's here for is to occupy his time until the arena is built and he is retired. That is one long sentence.
                        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

3rd place, which equaled our all time best conference finish.

Except for what was on the line, this weekend reminded me a bit of our first season when we went up to Orono at almost the end of the year and got our asses handed to us by Maine in what was then, and still is, the worst defeat in program history, at 11-0.

Then, the next night, we went out and beat them 4-3 (which remains the only time we have ever defeated them).

Out of all the potential first round opponents for us, DU is the one that would, and, does, probably, have the biggest axe to grind where we are concerned. Not a particularly good match-up. We could just as easily be 1-3 against them as the 3-1 we were. Their season has been just as up and down as ours.

We finished 3rd in our conference yet their are 4 teams in the conference that are ahead of us in Pairwise (note: DU is not one of them).

I hope no DU fans make travel plans thinking we are playing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Comment

UNO recruit Avery Peterson is the 2014 winner of the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" award:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/249201251.html

I love how this Minneapolis Star Tribune article makes no mention of where he is going to be going to school---or where 3 other candidates for the award are headed with him.

Congrats, Avery, and, welcome to Omaha. You, too, Phil, Steve, and Luc.

Comment

Josh Archibald is now UNO's single season goal scorer record holder:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2014030...e-to-archibald

Considering his competition here, Bill Thomas (whose record he broke), Jeff Hoggan, Scott Parse, David Brisson, and current teammate Ryan Walters, this is an accomplishment that he should be very proud of.

Comment

3rd place, which equaled our all time best conference finish.

Except for what was on the line, this weekend reminded me a bit of our first season when we went up to Orono at almost the end of the year and got our asses handed to us by Maine in what was then, and still is, the worst defeat in program history, at 11-0.

Then, the next night, we went out and beat them 4-3 (which remains the only time we have ever defeated them).

Out of all the potential first round opponents for us, DU is the one that would, and, does, probably, have the biggest axe to grind where we are concerned. Not a particularly good match-up. We could just as easily be 1-3 against them as the 3-1 we were. Their season has been just as up and down as ours.

We finished 3rd in our conference yet their are 4 teams in the conference that are ahead of us in Pairwise (note: DU is not one of them).

I hope no DU fans make travel plans thinking we are playing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
                                You guys know they don't have fans, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X