Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

I'll be going to Omaha for hockey when UMD visits in January. My buddy will be booking a room soon and what places would one suggest that are within walking distance of the arena? We don't mind a bit of a hike to save a little dough.

What places have good food? and what bars are a must drink at before and after the games on each night? Obviously I'm asking for places that are within that downtown area that are within walking distance of the rink.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      I'll be going to Omaha for hockey when UMD visits in January. My buddy will be booking a room soon and what places would one suggest that are within walking distance of the arena? We don't mind a bit of a hike to save a little dough.

What places have good food? and what bars are a must drink at before and after the games on each night? Obviously I'm asking for places that are within that downtown area that are within walking distance of the rink.
      The arena is contiguous with the Hilton and connected via skywalk. There are 4 other hotels along Cuming Street (could a town with a street with that name be all bad?) to the North of the arena that are reasonable walking distance, a Fairfield, a Holiday Inn, a Homewood suites and a Hampton Inn. I don't know anything about room costs here but I bet the Hilton isn't a LOT more expensive than any of these. There are other hotels in the Old Market to the south of the arena as well, among them, the Embassy Suites.

Bars in the area I know are frequented by UNO fans before the game are Blatt, D.J.'s Dugout (local chain), Goodnights, Union Pizza and Sports Bar, and the Old Mattress Factory. All are walking distance and in sight of the arena. After the game, I can't really say. I live so far from the arena (in the Omaha suburb of Papillion) that we don't hang out after games downtown as we are looking at a 25 minute drive home.

FYI, the bars can stay open until 2:00 in Omaha. Not all do, though.

Goodnights serves pizza, only, and my wife and I honestly feel that it is easily among the best pizza in the city and we go there the most just because of that fact. I think I've mentioned before to you that my wife is chef, is a graduate of Johnson & Wales culinary school, and was the director of a culinary school herself, so, our food tastes are probably a bit different than most. The other places are bar food places. At Union, the pizza there is very, very average. Blatt serves very upscale bar food and my wife is a friend of the chef there so that's another place to consider. We won't even bother with the Mattress Factory. The food is crummy, we think. It's worth noting that North Dakota fans rented the place out for the outdoor game weekend here this past February. My wife and I laughed about that one since the food isn't very good. We figured their standards aren't every high. Then, they were all so drunk the whole weekend, we figured they probably didn't notice. The Blue Line Club has events at D.J.'s fairly regularly, but, again, my wife and I think the food there sucks. I have never even set foot in this particular D.J.'s location.

Union is located in the lobby of the Holiday Inn and they run a free shuttle to UNO games. If the weather is really cold, we go there just for that reason. And, it beats 8 bucks to park at the arena in their lots. Peripherally, you can find places that charge 5 bucks and freebie on-street parking is not at all impossible to find, either, particularly if you arrive fairly early.

Another thing to consider is the Midtown Crossing area as far as eating is concerned. Don't know about lodging around there. They run freebie shuttles to UNO games from there as well. This is a couple miles west of downtown, though. The restaurant quality and selection there blows away anything in close proximity to the arena, though. We sometimes eat there at Cantina Laredo and take Midtown's game shuttle.

http://www.midtowncrossing.com/

Last I'd mention is something new. Rick's Boatyard & Cafe, which is between the arena and the river immediately behind (east) of the arena has been reopened under new name and management in the past two weeks as Storz Trophy Room Grill & Brewery. The city actually owns this facility. This is where we are going for at least one of the UMD games, which are the next home games on UNO's schedule. Storz was an Omaha/Midwest beer brand back in the day. Storz is to Omaha as Fitger's is to Duluth:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013111...9#.UpYYqieJ4lQ

My guess is that because it's new, people will gravitate there, at least, for awhile.

But, I don't think you're going to find a place or atmosphere here that rivals that of the Curling Club, for example, in Duluth. If that kind of "hockey atmosphere" exists at any eatery or bar in that area I have yet to see it. You'll see a a fair number of UNO jerseys in any of the places mentioned, pregame, but it is nothing like the sea-of-maroon-and-gold-beer-drinking-crowd that greets one at similar places up there.

You'll find very happening places in the Old Market, post game, but, it isn't going to be because of the hockey crowd. And, there are too many down there to even name them all. They are so close, you can just walk from place to place.

Comment

Thank you! Sounds like the only place worth going for food is that pizza place. We plan on doing no driving before or after games so we will have to figure out what bars are good. It would be nice to find a good food place besides that pizza place for food that is within walking distance.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Thank you! Sounds like the only place worth going for food is that pizza place. We plan on doing no driving before or after games so we will have to figure out what bars are good. It would be nice to find a good food place besides that pizza place for food that is within walking distance.
          The "quality" restaurants in the area are in the Old Market. This is walking distance from the arena, but it is a healthy 6 blocks. Here are the restaurants there:

http://oldmarket.com/dining.asp

If I were to recommend one place, specifically? I'd say M's Pub. Since you'd likely be eating there early, you might not even need reservations but I would sure check. You're going to burn 100 bucks for two people there, minimum. It's certainly not the only place I'd recommend, but, if there was one can't miss place I'd recommend to an out-of-towner that would be it. You also can't go wrong with Blue Sushi (very eclectic bar and inexpensive sushi), Jackson Street Tavern (I actually ate there tonight, of all things), Micheal's (underrated Tex-Mex), Stoke's (emphasis on spicy food), Omaha Prime (gluttony supreme--ridiculous portions) V. Mertz (take a look at their web site home page--that's Warren Buffett eating there) or The Indian Oven (I love Indian food and years ago made a point of eating here once a month for a long time).

Stay away from Upstream (so-so food and is a ridiculously huge restaurant), Julio's (used to be good Mexican a long time ago that isn't any more), Roja (great Tequila selection and so-so Mexican food) and Wheatfield's (home of the $40.00(!) breakfast for two people).

Of course, this is just one man's opinion. Take a peek at Yelp and/or Tripadvisor.

Comment

UNO off to Colorado Springs this weekend for UNO's last action until after the new year and a trip to New Hampshire, whom UNO has played twice, ever, both times in Omaha, and not since October of 2005.

The Mavs moved up a notch in the poll this week, to 16th (18th in Pairwise, 17th in KRACH), despite not playing. The guys want to really impress me, they go out there, get 6 points, and play just like they have the past month against better teams than the CC team we play this weekend and don't have any sort of "let-down". Maybe for a pleasant change of pace we can actually score a power play goal or two this weekend.

Comment

Suspension

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013122...fits-violation

Sounds like a big oops but I think Trev is doing the right thing in the long run.
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Some shots of the fairly recent UNO @ CC game on 12-07-2013.

http://www.co14ersphotography.com/20...vs-CC-20131207
                DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                sigpic
                WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

A few odds and ends after a very slow month (on the ice, anyway) as UNO has not played since their disappointing "split" (sorta) at CC on December 6th & 7th.

1. The suspensions of Coach Blais and that of Jaycob Megna are so ridiculous as to practically almost not even be worth acknowledging. And the NCAA wonders why they are among the most hated institutions in our country today. Talk about overreach. Apparently, the school feels this way as well as there is ZERO mention of the entire incident on the athletic department's web site. Given the circumstances, the whole thing is pretty outrageous.

2. UNO being off for a month, playing this weekend on Olympic sized ice, on the road, without their head coach or one of their best defenseman, does not bode well for this weekend's series with New Hampshire (in what is UNO's first ever visit to Durham). On paper, though, these seem to be two pretty evenly matched teams.

3. The construction crane has arrived on site for UNO's new arena. (Quite a lot of site prep has already occurred). In November, in a USCHO LIVE interview, Coach Blais mentioned that the groundbreaking for the new arena was going to be in December. This did not occur, though. I exchanged emails with Tom Shatel, the Omaha World Herald's sports columnist about this while supplying him with a copy of that interview and he told me in reply that he has heard nothing from the school as yet about a formal groundbreaking and that he was scratching his head, too, as a result, in light of the interview I sent him.

4. On December 18th, the UNO Athletic Department sent out an email blast survey to all season ticket holders like myself that was quite obviously a fishing expedition to ascertain how badly we, as a fanbase, are willing to allow ourselves to be raped for season tickets in the new facility. It's going to be pretty bad, it would appear. My seats are $415.00 each per season, now. It would appear that they are going to more than double that in price, between seat cost and required contributions to get anywhere close to the same quality seating I have now. I won't go into this in a lot of detail here right now. If interested, check out this thread at Mavpuck, where the angry masses have gathered to scream blue bloody murder:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9532

The survey also had a comments section (which I spent over an hour on) and it sounds like I was far from the only person that teed off there on a variety of topics, based on conversations with others as well as what I have seen in social media postings. Then, there are factions like this one that again address the ridiculously small size of the facility (a feeling I share, vociferously) and the "wisdom" of building it at all:

http://huskermike.blogspot.com/2013/...ents-over.html

5. Update on the Husker's new arena situation in Lincoln and, by that, I am talking about the Breslow Ice Center not the recently opened Pinnacle Bank Center:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/br...8d1c416c3.html

Comment

A little thread resurrection in the middle of UNO's disappointing season (despite UNO currently being in 2nd place in the NCHC, no thinking UNO fan feels that this season is really going anywhere).

I wrote this in the NCHC weekend wrap-up comment section here at USCHO about last weekend:

As an attendee of the UNO/SCSU series, I believe that Saturday night's game was the one of the wildest in program history for UNO, perhaps only rivaled by UNO's first ever game at the Ralph against North Dakota on 1/21/11.

Saturday night's game was the biggest culmulative score by both teams in UNO's program history as well as being the most goals UNO has ever allowed in a victory.

I have been perusing my UNO press guide, too, to see if I can find any other incidence of UNO allowing a hat trick in a victory, either. I know this, if it HAS happened before, I don't readily recall it. And my suspicion is that it hasn't.

Interesting that neither the press nor the school here in Omaha has made any light of ANY of this (nor USCHO, for that matter).

The Breslow Center situation in Lincoln has been tabled by the NU Board of Regents:

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/n...4bcf6878.html\

Pending the outcome of this:

http://watchdog.org/127695/breslow-ice-center-cost/

The Omaha Lancers made a deal for two UNO recruits:

http://www.lancers.com/leagues/newsl...581&page=77310

..............which now makes for 4 UNO recruits playing for the Lancers, currently. Steve Spinner, Luc Snuggerud, Tyler Vesel, and Jake Randolph.

Randolph and Vesel are currently the top two leading scorers in the USHL (the #3 guy is nowhere near either one of them) and another Omaha Lancer, who is currently uncommitted, Gage Hough is 4th in the league in scoring (and there has been some clamoring, locally, for Coach Blais to offer him as well).

Of the 10 finalists this year for "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" 4 of them are UNO commits. Coach Blais has publicly called this the best recruiting class in school history.

Of very significant note is that UNO's current recruit list does not include a single goalie. Worrisome. Find us another Anthony Stolarz caliber goalie, Coach Blais. Preferably, one that hangs around for more than 8 games before bailing because you wouldn't play him.

Interesting tidbit. UNO has erased all evidence of Matt White ever having played for UNO from the Athletic Department's web site. It's like he never existed for three whole seasons. They deleted his stats, even. I'm emailing Dave Ahlers, who is UNO's Director of Athletic Media Relations (and is also the radio voice of UNO Hockey) to ask him what gives.

If UNO has any sort of serious post season aspirations, it starts with a sweep of North Dakota this weekend. PERIOD. Even if they somehow managed that it will take more than that, even, to convince me. But, it would be a step in the right direction.

There is no great team in the NCHC this season, methinks.
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 02-06-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      Interesting tidbit. UNO has erased all evidence of Matt White ever having played for UNO from the Athletic Department's web site. It's like he never existed for three whole seasons. They deleted his stats, even. I'm emailing Dave Ahlers, who is UNO's Director of Athletic Media Relations (and is also the radio voice of UNO Hockey) to ask him what gives.
                      matt who? He seriously embarrassed the school, Omaha, Nebraska, the sport of hockey etc. He deserves no mention. We'd have little chance of recruiting another minority hockey player if we gave the hint that racism is ok in the hockey program. buh bye matt whatever your name was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUSH7vClFmA

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                        matt who? He seriously embarrassed the school, Omaha, Nebraska, the sport of hockey etc. He deserves no mention. We'd have little chance of recruiting another minority hockey player if we gave the hint that racism is ok in the hockey program. buh bye matt whatever your name was.
                        Except that the "victim" (a guy named Lamar Triplett) himself here said the entire incident was blown out of proportion and had he known that the end result was would be that White and Hodge would be lose their scholarships along with getting kicked off the team he never would have cooperated with the authorities in the matter or signed a police report in the first place.

And, he he didn't show up to testify against anyone involved and publicly stated the reason why he didn't. Hodge and Simonson walked on the whole deal and the only reason why White even was fined $75.00 was that he pled guilty the month before to the disorderly conduct charge that both Simonson and Hodge ended up walking on because Triplett would not cooperate with the authorities in the matter.

Unless there was a whole lot more going here than what was publicly divulged, as Triplett himself said, the whole thing was a gross overreaction.

I don't care what went down that night, erasing 3 entire seasons of White from the UNO record books (his stats have been completely expunged as has his presence on any level of even being on the roster) only calls further attention to the whole thing, not less. He played for UNO for 3 seasons. Period.

We should expunge Ty Cobb from the baseball record books even though he went into the stands during a Major League game and beat up an invalid?

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-liv...-up-a-cripple/

That's a lot worse than what White did and Ty Cobb is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

O.K., they kicked White off the team. That doesn't change the fact that he played at UNO for three seasons. Frankly, in my eyes, it clearly compromises the integrity of the UNO record books and makes UNO looks unnecessarily punitive. The guy got drunk, did something stupid and now we pretend that he no longer exists, and never did? Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                          Except that the "victim" (a guy named Lamar Triplett) himself here said the entire incident was blown out of proportion and had he known that the end result was would be that White and Hodge would be lose their scholarships along with getting kicked off the team he never would have cooperated with the authorities in the matter or signed a police report in the first place.

And, he he didn't show up to testify against anyone involved and publicly stated the reason why he didn't. Hodge and Simonson walked on the whole deal and the only reason why White even was fined $75.00 was that he pled guilty the month before to the disorderly conduct charge that both Simonson and Hodge ended up walking on because Triplett would not cooperate with the authorities in the matter.

Unless there was a whole lot more going here than what was publicly divulged, as Triplett himself said, the whole thing was a gross overreaction.

I don't care what went down that night, erasing 3 entire seasons of White from the UNO record books (his stats have been completely expunged as has his presence on any level of even being on the roster) only calls further attention to the whole thing, not less. He played for UNO for 3 seasons. Period.

We should expunge Ty Cobb from the baseball record books even though he went into the stands during a Major League game and beat up an invalid?
                          Sounds good to me.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-liv...-up-a-cripple/

That's a lot worse than what White did and Ty Cobb is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
                          Shouldn't be

O.K., they kicked White off the team. That doesn't change the fact that he played at UNO for three seasons. It changes that fact that he deserves recognition for his efforts on the ice. He doesn't
                          Frankly, in my eyes, it clearly compromises the integrity of the UNO record books and makes UNO looks unnecessarily punitive. The guy got drunk, did something stupid and now we pretend that he no longer exists, and never did? Come on!
                          He used a racial slur. He and those other 2 should have been at home sober staying out of trouble. I remember when we had trouble with players going to the casinos clearly in violation of team rules shooting of at the mouth "you can't arrest us we play for the Mavericks" more stupidity from kids that are at UNO for 2 reasons. 1) to get a college education, and 2) to play hockey. Your mentallity is the same one as all those big dumb idiots down in Lincoln have (football players). We don't need premadonnas we need numbers in the win column period. If you come to UNO on a scholarship and plan for anything less you don't deserve any recognition. This cry baby mentality our society has is why we have the mess we have. matt white was sent a message so was what's his name show off alex whatever. If you want to act stupid go home and be forgotten. Gee I wonder how a coach like Red Berenson handles dumb kids.

Comment

The only attention called to it is by people who want to make a big deal out of it. How do you feel about USC having titles and seasons expunged for stupidity, that's a team of 70 this is one kid. Not a big deal. Should UWEC still honor their players by naming them in their record books, where is the line?

Having a scholarship is a job worth thousands a year and if you put you're employer in a negative light than you get let go and they make every attempt to cut all possible ties with that person or their history with a company. It happens all the time in the real world and college player or not you still have contract not to mention student code of conduct to adhere to.

2. Discrimination, Harassment and Intimidation
                            a. Any form of discrimination because of race,
                            color, age, disability, religion, gender (including
                            sexual harassment), national origin, marital
                            status, Vietnam-era veteran status, political
                            affiliation, sexual orientation, or any unlawful
                            reason. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests
                            for sexual favors, and other physical, verbal, or
                            visual conduct based on sex constitute sexual
                            harassment when (1) submission to the conduct
                            is an explicit or implicit term or condition of
                            employment or academic standing, (2) submission
                            to or rejection of the conduct is used as the
                            basis for an employment or academic decision,
                            or (3) the conduct has the purpose or effect of
                            unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work
                            performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or
                            offensive working or academic environment.

I think he got off easy. IMHO any improper act such as this which embarrasses the school, department, your team and your teammates should result in a repayment of all the scholarship. If you don't have enough respect for the people around you figure out how the rest of the world lives having to pay for school.

Oh and can we just enjoy the heart shown by these guys once in awhile? Sure they make mistakes on the ice, sometimes quite a few and lose games, but they also have the ability to be great. See last Saturday vs. SCSU or tonight vs. UND. They were picked to finish 7th, they had no significant experience in goal, they lost a lot of cogs from last year and are in a great conference with some of the best hockey every weekend. If there's no enjoyment in playing the current 11th toughest schedule, being in 3rd, splitting with UND, splitting with Michigan, talking 3 of 4 from Miami, splitting with SCSU and only on focus on the downs why watch? By all preseason accounts things should be much worse, so enjoy it while we can.
                            Last edited by SilversSports; 02-09-2014, 01:18 AM.
                            University of Wisconsin - River Falls Men's and Women's Hockey Broadcaster 2007-2012
                            University of Nebraska at Omaha Intermission/Post Game Host and Statistician 2012-2014
                            https://twitter.com/SilversSports

Comment

Well put Silver. And I checked. matt whites stats are still available. http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbm...CLID=208747360 click on career records.
                              Last edited by MAVFANJEFF; 02-09-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Omaha is probably the best offense in the nation after BC. But when your defense and goaltending is terrible, you will lose more than you win. This is the same situation as last year but some of you still don't get it.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X