X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biddco
    replied
    Re: 2013-14 North Dakota Season thread

If it makes you feel better, the last time UMD scored that many goals in a victory in Grand Forks was 1964.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    It is the case, but most UND fans saw some definite possibilities in this group because there is good talent and speed up and down the line up. A smaller team than we have become used to and not as strong, but good speed and skill level. But they haven't found a way to put their talents to good use, especially the transition game, which has usually been a UND strong point. This is a very beatable team right now and one that may find itself outside the bubble come nut cuttin' time.

Still they will be in the final mix at the FF if the refs don't screw them.
    I think this team reminds me of the 2009 team. I don't think it has the speed we've seen from some other UND teams. To have some success, I think this team is going to have to play like some of the classic Wisconsin teams of the past 20 years. Buckle down defensively, don't take unnecessary chances offensively, cash in on the power play, get some good goaltending.

Probably best case scenario is to sneak into the tournament and hope they get hot at the right time. What I really want to see is some development from Luke Johnson, Stecher, Ausmus, Tambellini and Caggiula. Those guys could be the backbone of a very good team in a year or two. I really like the way they play.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Almost five months out, and already warming it up.
    No need. Like they said about "Sweet Lou" Piniella--he could roll out of bed in January and hit line drives. We sweet Sioux fans have that God-given talent.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    It's going to be especially fun to blame the refs for costing UND Fabulous Four games that they aren't even playing because their season ended the week earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    if the refs don't screw them.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    Looking at North Dakota's roster, I was somewhat surprised by the lack of "big name" players, especially at Forward. We all know about Grimaldi, but after him I don't see tons of talent. In years past there was usually at least 3 or 4 guys that you dreaded having to play against, which doesn't look to be the case this year....
    It is the case, but most UND fans saw some definite possibilities in this group because there is good talent and speed up and down the line up. A smaller team than we have become used to and not as strong, but good speed and skill level. But they haven't found a way to put their talents to good use, especially the transition game, which has usually been a UND strong point. This is a very beatable team right now and one that may find itself outside the bubble come nut cuttin' time.

Still they will be in the final mix at the FF if the refs don't screw them.
    Last edited by burd; 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSiouxFan
    replied

Congrats to Dillon Simpson. Named NCHC defensemen of the week.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_artic...rrer_id=878553

Leave a comment:

• carltonbarrett
    replied
    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    Well that was ugly. Didn't show up until the second period. Typical goaltending - always let in a softie. Rocco who? Take the "A" off Pattyn and give it to someone that doesn't take stupid penalties. It's going to be a long year....
    Looking at North Dakota's roster, I was somewhat surprised by the lack of "big name" players, especially at Forward. We all know about Grimaldi, but after him I don't see tons of talent. In years past there was usually at least 3 or 4 guys that you dreaded having to play against, which doesn't look to be the case this year....

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied

Well that was ugly. Didn't show up until the second period. Typical goaltending - always let in a softie. Rocco who? Take the "A" off Pattyn and give it to someone that doesn't take stupid penalties. It's going to be a long year....

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    I count 15 forwards on the North Dakota roster, only 2 senior forwards, and 5 incoming recruits (schmaltz, Wilkie, voltin, poganski and gersich) - I'm no mathematician but without early departures that leaves 18 forwards on the roster. That's after Gropp saw the writing on the wall and decommitted. How is playing time (and scholarships for that matter) going to work at North Dakota next year? Unless they have early departures or push recruits out a year, they'll have 6 healthy scratch forwards any given night. Do you expect any other decommitments?
    A couple of them will be found floating in the Red.

Leave a comment:

• jerryj
    replied

I count 15 forwards on the North Dakota roster, only 2 senior forwards, and 5 incoming recruits (schmaltz, Wilkie, voltin, poganski and gersich) - I'm no mathematician but without early departures that leaves 18 forwards on the roster. That's after Gropp saw the writing on the wall and decommitted. How is playing time (and scholarships for that matter) going to work at North Dakota next year? Unless they have early departures or push recruits out a year, they'll have 6 healthy scratch forwards any given night. Do you expect any other decommitments?

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied

Well, why not give someone else a shot?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/276532/

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Nice win to start conference play.

As for positives, I'd say that the last 15 minutes of the first period were as well played by UND as they are probably capable. Zane had a real solid game and the boys continued their solid penalty kill play.

The first 5 minutes of the first period, and most of the second, not so much. Not many scoring chances and back on their heels for much of the time. The third looked like it could be the same, but the penalties kind of killed Miami's momentum. I was also disappointed with their play on the 5 minute major. That was a chance to bury a very good team, and we looked pretty disorganized.

As I say, a good start. But it will be a season of steps.

Leave a comment:

• willythekid
    replied

absolutely fitting that NoDak gets the first win in the NCHC

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    Nice win tonite. Absolutely owned the first period, played pretty even in the second and did what they needed in the third to win the game. It was great to see a fast Sioux team winning battles to get to the puck. And it didn't hurt to get a little puck luck. Sweep tomorrow!!!
    What a gigantic win. Keep it Rollin tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X