X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by 'Gate Man View Post
    Tomassoni also cut seniors, but Mazzoleni was the worst. When his first freshman class arrived he sat most of the seniors and juniors and played all of the frosh every game. Then in the next off season he cut some of the juniors. In future years he did the same to some of those first recruits who played every game for two years. No wonder kids are skeptical about going to Harvard.
    Both Mike Seward and Jon Caldwell were cut. I am sure that this will upset the coaches at the Boston Junior Bruins, probably the biggest D-1 hockey feeder program in New England, and at Belmont Hill School, historically one of Havard's biggest feeders (remember the Clearys). Those coaches may have second thoughts about directing playeres to the Crimson. This is all hubris on Donato's part; the "I played in the NHL" attitude (but can't coach a lick) is wearing thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubleminor View Post
      Both Mike Seward and Jon Caldwell were cut. I am sure that this will upset the coaches at the Boston Junior Bruins, probably the biggest D-1 hockey feeder program in New England, and at Belmont Hill School, historically one of Havard's biggest feeders (remember the Clearys). Those coaches may have second thoughts about directing playeres to the Crimson. This is all hubris on Donato's part; the "I played in the NHL" attitude (but can't coach a lick) is wearing thin.
      Honestly, if our biggest feeders are producing players that are getting cut as seniors, maybe we should look for new feeders.
      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
      Go Crimson!

Comment

You might want yo verify that fact. Bruins do a nice not by no means are they a D 1 feeder program. Depth player maybe but very little if any impact types
        Just saw an interesting stat yesterday. In all of Hockey East only 7 or 8 total D from mass. Only 4 or 5 playing.
        BCHL and USHL and junior leagues in Toronto and w Canada are the feeders.

Sucks those two local kids were cut but they have a Harvard education, which any kid in Hockey East with half a brain should have opted for. There is a reason shy Vesey and Fiddler send their kids to Harvard. Smart city kids who realize the short term glory doesn't feed your family....

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Man View Post
          No wonder kids are skeptical about going to Harvard.
          Are they? Seems like every year the pundits rave about what great classes Harvard is pulling in.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Are they? Seems like every year the pundits rave about what great classes Harvard is pulling in.
            Any kid skeptical about going to Harvard probably isn't bright enough to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Any kid skeptical about going to Harvard probably isn't bright enough to go there.
              Hah - love it. Absolutely true.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                If they are admittable to Harvard the hockey recruit can also opt for Yale - da Champs!!!! That alone is enough to cause some teeth grinding in Cambridge.

Comment

If they are admittable to Harvard the hockey recruit can also opt for Yale - da Champs!!!! That alone is enough to cause some teeth grinding in Cambridge.
                  seeing that it is the 3rd or 4th sport, I doubt it

This caused far more teeth grinding....

"Yale beats Harvard on endowment returns"

Yale University's endowment earned an investment return of 12.5% in its last fiscal year, surpassing the return rate of rival universities, including Harvard University

Comment

Both Mike Seward and Jon Caldwell were cut.
                    That stinks. Whether or not it is the norm now around the country or whatever, I hate seeing it. Knew Seward's dad briefly. Nice guy with a good sense of humor.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Hckydad - Either I erred in writing (antecedent noun appears correct (??)) or your misread - about the Junior Bruins and that, of D-1 feeders 'that are located in New England (EJHL)," it is tops.

Comment

Hckydad - Either I erred in writing (antecedent noun appears correct (??)) or your misread - about the Junior Bruins and that, of D-1 feeders 'that are located in New England (EJHL)," it is tops.
                        NP, they have been solid+ over the years, them and the Monarchs, now the Kings and Islanders as well. Hitmen a little further south

Comment

Since we are on the eve of another season, I thought that I would throw this out there for consideration. Given the success enjoyed by Tim Murphy in football, Katey Stone in women's hockey and Tommy Amaker in basketball and the fact that it has been 20 years since we were in a Frozen Four, what are the reasons for keeping Teddy as coach and how long would you stay the course before making a change? Yale won the NC last season, Brown is coming on strong, Cornell and Princeton are mid level and Dartmouth has gotten stronger recently. We seem headed for the abyss again unless something changes and soon. We can't even get the band to attend our games any more.

Adding enhancements to Bright-Landry isn't going to morph us into a national contender. I think Teddy's strengths are obvious; he knows the game inside and out having played it at different levels of competition. His biggest weakness seems to be his inability to take that knowledge and build a system that his players will buy into. Perhaps he isn't a very good communicator as well. Maybe there is a lack of trust. Something isn't working and I wonder how long the administration will wait before making a change. My guess? If we fail to go to the NCAAs this year, it might be Teddy's last season here. He has had a longer tenure than either Tommassoni or Mazzoleni. In fact, Teddy would be the fifth longest tenured coach in Harvard hockey history if he finishes this season trailing only Cooney Weiland, Billy Cleary, Alfred Winsor, and Joseph Stubbs. I had to look it up.

Thoughts?

Comment

You have until Tuesday at 7PM to get your picks in.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ntest-20013-14
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              Since we are on the eve of another season, I thought that I would throw this out there for consideration. Given the success enjoyed by Tim Murphy in football, Katey Stone in women's hockey and Tommy Amaker in basketball and the fact that it has been 20 years since we were in a Frozen Four, what are the reasons for keeping Teddy as coach and how long would you stay the course before making a change? Yale won the NC last season, Brown is coming on strong, Cornell and Princeton are mid level and Dartmouth has gotten stronger recently. We seem headed for the abyss again unless something changes and soon. We can't even get the band to attend our games any more.

Adding enhancements to Bright-Landry isn't going to morph us into a national contender. I think Teddy's strengths are obvious; he knows the game inside and out having played it at different levels of competition. His biggest weakness seems to be his inability to take that knowledge and build a system that his players will buy into. Perhaps he isn't a very good communicator as well. Maybe there is a lack of trust. Something isn't working and I wonder how long the administration will wait before making a change. My guess? If we fail to go to the NCAAs this year, it might be Teddy's last season here. He has had a longer tenure than either Tommassoni or Mazzoleni. In fact, Teddy would be the fifth longest tenured coach in Harvard hockey history if he finishes this season trailing only Cooney Weiland, Billy Cleary, Alfred Winsor, and Joseph Stubbs. I had to look it up.

Thoughts?
                              Has the band ever gone to hockey games during football season? I mean, honestly, it was a home football game so they certainly could have been there for Bentley tonight. But that's a band issue, personally.

My question still remains...who do we hire to take over?
                              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

Just way too early to have Donato questions. Solid 3-0 shutout of Bentley tonight. 5 frosh dressed, including an all freshman 3rd line.

Also of note, none of the folks impacted by last year's scandal played tonight - Everson, McNally, and Michalek. Don't know if that is coincidence, but one would have thought that Everson and McNally would surely be in the Top 6 on D.

RPI should be a real test on Tues. Not only has RPI played several more games, but also has quality wins over BU & UNH.
                                Last edited by bothman; 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X