NMU @ Wisconsin: More Choreography Than an Episode of GLEE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    Just an aside here. It was the 1981 DII Quarterfinal playoffs. This is many years before a dome on campus. NMU had home field and drew a team from Elizabeth City State Univ. in North Carolina. I think this was November--it might have been the beginning of December--can't remember. It was frigid, temp in the single digits, with occasional flurries, and the wind off the big lake. Elizabeth City didn't stand a chance in those weather conditions. The 'Cats won 55 - 6. However, in the next game NMU had to travel to Texas to play Southwest Texas in the semis, where they were smoked 62 - 0.
    The fact that NMU lost their starting QB in the week between the games may have had some effect on the outcome.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: NMU @ Wisconsin: More Choreography Than an Episode of GLEE

Wishing there was some TV coverage for this series.....sigh

Comment

Originally posted by SatNightFever View Post
        Wishing there was some TV coverage for this series.....sigh
        Yup. I remember two years ago, the NMU@UW series was televised.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          The fact that NMU lost their starting QB in the week between the games may have had some effect on the outcome.
          I don't remember that. But it would have been Tom Bertoldi - NMU career passing record holder. I remember him and the great back George Works - career points & TDs holder.

Tom Bertoldi, 443 yards passing vs Elizabeth City, 1981
          Mario Ferretti, 4 field goals vs Elizabeth City, 1981
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
            I don't remember that. But it would have been Tom Bertoldi - NMU career passing record holder. I remember him and the great back George Works - career points & TDs holder.
            If I remember correctly, he got appendicitis in the days leading up to that game. Without their offensive superstar they had little chance. Things just snowballed from the beginning in that game.

Anyway, I see an easy sweep for the Badgers this weekend. Besides the fact UW is considered one of the best teams in hockey this year don't underestimate the revenge factor. The guys in red and white haven't forgotten last years sweep.

I just hope the Cats can keep one of the games respectable.

Comment

It's hard to put much stock in early games like this... But I agree with NMU fan that these games could be a downer for NMU... But I also expect this team to win games they shouldn't this year, so why not start early
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

On paper, I predict a Wisconsin sweep, but in my gut, I'll be nervous and won't get ahead of myself at least until the Badgers have a lead.

Comment

This will be an interesting weekend for me...
                  I was a student at NMU for 5 years, and have now been living in Madison for 6.
                  I went to every game I could at the Berry Events Center (usually 75% of the home games), and this will be my 4th year with season tickets for both nights at the Kohl Center.
                  I will be wearing my green and gold and cheering for the 'Cats, but won't be terribly disappointed if the Badgers sweep the weekend; I'm just looking forward to watching some hockey!

Comment

Any free internet coverage of this series (video or radio)? Thanks.

Comment

NMU audio
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

You can listen to the Wisconsin feed on 1310 WIBA (yes, they stream the game). Here's the station website, and here's the radio player.

Comment

Working...
                        X