No announcement yet.

Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Originally posted by Mavwatcher View Post
    It drove me nuts when Williams would be-bop in the crease to the sound system during games. I may be a bit old school, but it has no place in this game.
    I'm probably older than you, and that didn't bother me at all. I liked his relaxed confidence as long as he was backing it up.

Originally posted by Mavwatcher View Post
    The chip is probably off his shoulder. He might need another season to fully recover.
    Yeah, I think you're right. They say it takes 18 months to completely recover from orthopedic surgery, and there's certainly a mental aspect to get over as well.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      I think it's pretty clear that Hastings has lost faith in Williams. It could be that they've agreed to part ways after this season.
      This is what I've heard, but nothing confirmed by my sources yet. As far as Palowski is concerned, he plans to be here next fall.

Williams just doesn't have that confidence or swagger that he had. Often times goalies are referred to as "weird", which is generally a positive thing because it usually is their demeanor that makes them stop the puck well. Williams is missing that right now.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

[QUOTE=MavsFan;5876895]I'm probably older than you, and that didn't bother me at all. I liked his relaxed confidence as long as he was backing it up.
        Hmmm, I don't think you are older than me unless you are retired. I am tired of all of the antics from players who just scored a basket or caught a 10 yard pass in other sports (you would think they just won some championship). NHL hockey is one of the few professional sports where that sort of behavior is not present. To me, hot dogging shows a disrespect for the game and your opponents. You can show confidence all you want. It is through save percentage, the most important stat for a goaltender. A high GAA shows confidence without flaunting it.
        I'm sure Williams has learned a lesson. I know he is young. The mustard is gone from his hot dog. Maybe getting drafted went to his head as well. Going forward I think he is toast.

That type of behavior is non-existent in the NHL......with the exception of some goal scoring drama.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mavwatcher;5877003]
          Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          I'm probably older than you, and that didn't bother me at all. I liked his relaxed confidence as long as he was backing it up.
          Hmmm, I don't think you are older than me unless you are retired. I am tired of all of the antics from players who just scored a basket or caught a 10 yard pass in other sports (you would think they just won some championship). NHL hockey is one of the few professional sports where that sort of behavior is not present. To me, hot dogging shows a disrespect for the game and your opponents. You can show confidence all you want. It is through save percentage, the most important stat for a goaltender. A high GAA shows confidence without flaunting it.
          I'm sure Williams has learned a lesson. I know he is young. The mustard is gone from his hot dog. Maybe getting drafted went to his head as well. Going forward I think he is toast.

That type of behavior is non-existent in the NHL......with the exception of some goal scoring drama.
          Something tells me you don't watch a whole lot of NHL hockey..
          AF 99

Comment

FWIW, I never thought that what Williams did had anything to do with arrogance, taunting, etc. From all I've heard from people who've known him (students, teammates, USHL coaches and teammates), he's just sort of a different cat. When he was dancing to the beat of the PA music, it was just because he felt like dancing. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              FWIW, I never thought that what Williams did had anything to do with arrogance, taunting, etc. From all I've heard from people who've known him (students, teammates, USHL coaches and teammates), he's just sort of a different cat. When he was dancing to the beat of the PA music, it was just because he felt like dancing. I wouldn't read too much into that.
              Yeah, he did it all by himself, during stoppages in play. He didn't do it in the faces of opposing players. I never saw it as hotdogging, just clearing his head, getting into the music instead of thinking about the pressure of the game.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Yeah, he did it all by himself, during stoppages in play. He didn't do it in the faces of opposing players. I never saw it as hotdogging, just clearing his head, getting into the music instead of thinking about the pressure of the game.
                Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

You're exactly right. He never was beig arrogant to there or whatnot. He was playing with the swagger he needed to be successful; and it really, really worked.
                AF 99

Comment

Good job by the Mavericks taking care of business this weekend. They cannot lose a game next weekend. They better not be close.
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Good job by the Mavericks taking care of business this weekend. They cannot lose a game next weekend. They better not be close.
                    These 4 points are very important, as they will pretty much wrap up home ice. I don't anticipate a let down this week.

Comment

Well, it's a win. Solid first period. After that, UAH seemed to adjust to the speed a little better, and our guys seemed to be trying too hard to make the "highlight reel" goal, and disregarding the simple plays.
                      Need to up the intensity level tomorrow, because a rested UAH team will play better than they did tonight.

Comment

I felt like a lot of what we saw in the first period was bus legs. However, your special teams made the difference. That feed to Gervais was absolutely beautiful. We've been seeing that a lot (including from the Mavs) from a guy standing in front of the penalty box door, but that's the first team I've seen someone pull that off effectively through the center of the ice.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Home ice is in the bag. Solid sweep.

Ferris State could lose twice more in six games, but as we sit at 18 in the Pairwise, that's probably not something we want. I wonder now what happens if we win out, and lose to FSU in the WCHA title game.
                          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            Home ice is in the bag. Solid sweep.

Ferris State could lose twice more in six games, but as we sit at 18 in the Pairwise, that's probably not something we want. I wonder now what happens if we win out, and lose to FSU in the WCHA title game.
                            If Minnesota State and Ferris State go deep into the WCHA playoffs, I think they both will get invited. That is also taking into account that the Mavs finish the regular season strong (probably 6 points). If anyone other than MSU or FSU win the Broadmoor, the chances of MSU making the NCAA's is extremely slim. The non-conference record killed us, especially the North Star Cup.

Barring a complete collapse, Ferris State will be representing the WCHA.

Comment

Courtesy of Jim Dahl:

This only takes into account the rest of the regular season, but the bottom line is that if MSU wins all of their last four games, they're likely in good position to be in the tournament field, and anything less than that, and they'll likely need to win the WCHA tournament.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                Courtesy of Jim Dahl:

This only takes into account the rest of the regular season, but the bottom line is that if MSU wins all of their last four games, they're likely in good position to be in the tournament field, and anything less than that, and they'll likely need to win the WCHA tournament.
                                I like this. Hopefully we can win four in a row here. Should be able to do it, but still have to play the games.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X