No announcement yet.

Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    UMD just tied #1. If they and SCSU keep rolling, you'll be fine as long as you win the games against teams below you.
    That's what makes it so frustrating. We played so badly for 5 of the 6 periods this weekend. We took UMD 20 seconds from a shootout and were beating SCSU until Williams melted down. The reason so many people outside of Kato think that this program isn't going anywhere is because when we get on this stage, we play like garbage. They played 10x better last weekend against Ferris right after going to Alaska and dropping 3 out of 4 and now this letdown. I truly believe we need to win the conference tourney or we miss the NCAAs.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Originally posted by Bale View Post
      That's what makes it so frustrating. We played so badly for 5 of the 6 periods this weekend. We took UMD 20 seconds from a shootout and were beating SCSU until Williams melted down. The reason so many people outside of Kato think that this program isn't going anywhere is because when we get on this stage, we play like garbage. They played 10x better last weekend against Ferris right after going to Alaska and dropping 3 out of 4 and now this letdown. I truly believe we need to win the conference tourney or we miss the NCAAs.
      At this point that is reality.

Comment

My apologies to the band: In the North Star Cup thread last week, I said our band was terrible. Maybe I sit too close to them in Mankato, and that distorts the sound, but I thought they sounded pretty good in the Xcel, and I thought their presence added to the atmosphere. Good job, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          My apologies to the band: In the North Star Cup thread last week, I said our band was terrible. Maybe I sit too close to them in Mankato, and that distorts the sound, but I thought they sounded pretty good in the Xcel, and I thought their presence added to the atmosphere. Good job, guys!
          Agree....they did sound pretty good. The band version of Ole was pretty awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
            Agree....they did sound pretty good. The band version of Ole was pretty awesome.
            That was actually pretty cool.

I've kind of thought since Novemeber this team would have to win a Final Five to go to the big dance, and I believe that's almost a must now.
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Being that we're not down to 24th in the pairwise, it's a long shot for an at-large bid, but not totally out of the question. I'm not a numbers guru, but it's still January and there are 10 conference games, a first round series and potentially another 2 games in the tourney. If we go on a huge run, we could still do it. That's asking a lot considering our record outside of Mankato, but anything is possible. I don't think anyone would have guessed we would be as close to Ferris as we are right now either. It has to start this weekend though if there's a chance though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                Being that we're not down to 24th in the pairwise, it's a long shot for an at-large bid, but not totally out of the question. I'm not a numbers guru, but it's still January and there are 10 conference games, a first round series and potentially another 2 games in the tourney. If we go on a huge run, we could still do it. That's asking a lot considering our record outside of Mankato, but anything is possible. I don't think anyone would have guessed we would be as close to Ferris as we are right now either. It has to start this weekend though if there's a chance though.
                I suppose it's possible, but remember: Unless we play Ferris again in Grand Rapids, we won't face anyone the rest of the year rated above us in the Pairwise. We could win a lot of games over the next 6 weeks, but not get much computer love. Of course, when you're 0-2 against HE, 0-2 against the B1G, and 0-2 against the NCHC, you don't really deserve a lot of computer love.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  I suppose it's possible, but remember: Unless we play Ferris again in Grand Rapids, we won't face anyone the rest of the year rated above us in the Pairwise. We could win a lot of games over the next 6 weeks, but not get much computer love. Of course, when you're 0-2 against HE, 0-2 against the B1G, and 0-2 against the NCHC, you don't really deserve a lot of computer love.
                  Realistically though, RPI is the biggest factor now....at least that's what the numbers gurus are saying. I've always believed that if you win everything else will take care of itself. If they win and win a lot, we'll be OK. If not, it's a lost season.

Comment

Well, the Mavericks are starting a stretch where they need to get rolling. They need to continue their home dominance and sweep the next two series.
                    AF 99

Comment

So if we have a sophomore goalie, a freshman goalie, and now 2 goalie recruits (Palowski seems ready as soon as next year and the Nelson report says next year) is the team preparing for Williams to Develop elsewhere after this year or is one of these guys going to wait three years in the NAHL/USHL? thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                        So if we have a sophomore goalie, a freshman goalie, and now 2 goalie recruits (Palowski seems ready as soon as next year and the Nelson report says next year) is the team preparing for Williams to Develop elsewhere after this year or is one of these guys going to wait three years in the NAHL/USHL? thoughts...
                        Nelson has to come here in the fall, as he's played three years in the NAHL. Palowski still as eligibility at the junior level. If they're only taking three guys on the roster next year, Palowski or Williams is the odd man out.
                        AF 99

Comment

yeah, I guess now that I have time to look at it, it makes sense. Palowski will have 3 years total in the USHL if Williams stays 4 years and they can call him up if Willy doesn't. At first blush I thought the timing didn't add up but it does.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear that Hastings has lost faith in Williams. It could be that they've agreed to part ways after this season.
                            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                              I think it's pretty clear that Hastings has lost faith in Williams.
                              In fairness to Coach, his faith lasted longer than mine did. And I still think Williams will be a good goalie again some day. But that day isn't coming this season.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                                I think it's pretty clear that Hastings has lost faith in Williams. It could be that they've agreed to part ways after this season.
                                Perhaps Williams did not recover from hip surgery and that is the reason he is struggling. Cook, who was a senior last year had both hips surgically repaired in successive off seasons, was not the same afterward.
                                It drove me nuts when Williams would be-bop in the crease to the sound system during games. I may be a bit old school, but it has no place in this game. The chip is probably off his shoulder. He might need another season to fully recover.

Comment

Working...
                                X