Miami RedHawks 2013-14 Season Thread: Enrico We Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miami RedHawks 2013-14 Season Thread: Enrico We Trust

Nice way to open the series. I managed to make it up to Oxford for this one, the building really started to clear out midway through the third, which was a bit disappointing.

-McKay had a really solid game, Canisius had a handful of good scoring opportunites, especially that late open goal. Ridiculous save.
    -Czarnik and Barber weren't as clinical in front of net tonight, if they buried some of their better chances we could have put up 6 goals.
    -Another good performance from Coleman, he has been great so far this season.
    -I would be shocked if we won more that 20% of the faceoffs, that needs to improve.

Williams tomorrow night? McKay made an excellent case for himself to be picked again.

Comment

• Faceoffs 23 of 59. Just under 50% for the year. These last three games have been brutal for us there.

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
      Nice way to open the series. I managed to make it up to Oxford for this one, the building really started to clear out midway through the third, which was a bit disappointing.

-McKay had a really solid game, Canisius had a handful of good scoring opportunites, especially that late open goal. Ridiculous save.
      -Czarnik and Barber weren't as clinical in front of net tonight, if they buried some of their better chances we could have put up 6 goals.
      -Another good performance from Coleman, he has been great so far this season.
      -I would be shocked if we won more that 20% of the faceoffs, that needs to improve.

Williams tomorrow night? McKay made an excellent case for himself to be picked again.

Comment

Saw the guys on All-Access last night for the first time since OSU. Couple of thoughts:

1. we are really (blank)ing small. Speedy? Yes, but extremely small. Here's the thing: I think we lost to a couple of years in a row to HE teams - teams which were built on speed. To solve that problem, Rico started going after faster recruits with major stick skills. I get it; I concur completely. However, as I recall those HE teams, they weren't just fast. They were BIG and fast. We weren't playing an entire team of Nathan Gerbe's. It just seems to me that our smaller lineup puts us at a major disadvantage (especially in the new NCHC) when we play teams that have above average speed to close out lanes and enough bulk to scrape Miami's forwards off of the boards. As I look down our lineup, more than half of these guys are 6-0 or smaller. Just seems like a disaster waiting to happen in a grind-it-out conference.

2. Not digging Tim Bray calling hockey. Love him in football and basketball, but hockey? nope.
        Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
          Saw the guys on All-Access last night for the first time since OSU. Couple of thoughts:

1. we are really (blank)ing small. Speedy? Yes, but extremely small. Here's the thing: I think we lost to a couple of years in a row to HE teams - teams which were built on speed. To solve that problem, Rico started going after faster recruits with major stick skills. I get it; I concur completely. However, as I recall those HE teams, they weren't just fast. They were BIG and fast. We weren't playing an entire team of Nathan Gerbe's. It just seems to me that our smaller lineup puts us at a major disadvantage (especially in the new NCHC) when we play teams that have above average speed to close out lanes and enough bulk to scrape Miami's forwards off of the boards. As I look down our lineup, more than half of these guys are 6-0 or smaller. Just seems like a disaster waiting to happen in a grind-it-out conference.

2. Not digging Tim Bray calling hockey. Love him in football and basketball, but hockey? nope.
          A valid concern. If Canisuis had any offensive prowess we would have been down 3-0 in the first 5 minutes We turn the puck over way too often and literally give opponents the slot. whatever. We are fun to watch on offense

Comment

Ditto on Tim Bray, Greg Wadell is still doing the radio broadcast, why can't we have him for All-Access as well?

I'm sure he's learning, but it's rather painful to listen to.

Comment

Great win last night, unfortunately had to follow the action from my phone. Going into the weekend I would have been happy with a split, I would be absolutely thrilled with a road sweep. Although McKay has been a beast lately, I would be surprised if Rico dropped the rotation this early in the season.

Comment

I am a little puzzled how a team can go on the road to the #3 team in the country, earn a split, and still lose ground in the national rankings.

Full-on
                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

I thought the team looked extremely dangerous when they had the puck on saturday (couldn't watch friday). The only issue was that they never had the puck. Maybe it was because they were on the road, but they seemed to be out possessed throughout most of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mu2010 View Post
                    I thought the team looked extremely dangerous when they had the puck on saturday (couldn't watch friday). The only issue was that they never had the puck. Maybe it was because they were on the road, but they seemed to be out possessed throughout most of the game.
                    I was at the game on Friday and I thought Miami looked great. Regardless of the outcome, the Redhawks clearly looked better than UND did the week prior. Your three losses make you appear weaker than you are. However, you clearly have an elite team and I expect you'll give opponents fits the rest of the way out.

McKay did a great job on Friday, the Redhawks utilized their momentum for both goals scored, and SCSU's shots were a little off in quality. Saturday, the Huskies didn't have a major penalty to kill off and so they didn't sacrifice momentum. So, both teams looked good both nights (at full strength anyway) and the end results reflect that.
                    scsuhockey.com
                    CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

I am a little puzzled how a team can go on the road to the #3 team in the country, earn a split, and still lose ground in the national rankings.

Full-on
                      I can kind of see the logic, a lot of the teams above us have better records, we've just had a tough run of games the last few weeks, and Wisconsin will be another big test. One ranking I'm definitely confused about is Michigan, they have really only beaten one team (BC), and granted that's a good win, but their schedule so far has been a joke.

Comment

What is Austin Czarnik's pro potential?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/nchc...-on-the-future

Chris Dilks takes a look.
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Full-on
                          Pretty sure the problem is you split. See, you shouldn't do that. For example, we won nothing last weekend and moved up a position. Now you guys just give that a try this week and I'm sure you'll be just fine.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Pretty sure the problem is you split. See, you shouldn't do that. For example, we won nothing last weekend and moved up a position. Now you guys just give that a try this week and I'm sure you'll be just fine.
                            PC went 2-0 and got jumped by Quinnipiac in the USA Today poll...
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              PC went 2-0 and got jumped by Quinnipiac in the USA Today poll...
                              Right, exactly my point. You don't want to be doing that either. Any sort of winning is sure to be bad for you this weekend. Now being the friendly sort of folks we are up here, we are more than willing to help you out guys out with this deal. 'Cause you know, if you're happy, we're happy.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

SBN's article on Ryan McKay -> http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...e-nhl-prospect

and Riley Barber's future -> http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/nchc...-on-the-future
                                The University of Minnesota Duluth

Tweet -> @Matt_Christians

http://umdbulldogcountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X