Miami RedHawks 2013-14 Season Thread: Enrico We Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miami RedHawks 2013-14 Season Thread: Enrico We Trust

What happened last night was what Michigan used to do to us regularly when we didn't have the talent or speed to skate with them. Cross-ice stretch passes from the offensive zone to forwards with speed entering the Miami defensive zone were unchallenged and the forwards didn't backcheck. The second period seemed like a completely different Miami team until the last :30 of the period. Hopefully it was just an off-night and we'll look back on this one as a blip on the radar.
    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
      What happened last night was what Michigan used to do to us regularly when we didn't have the talent or speed to skate with them. Cross-ice stretch passes from the offensive zone to forwards with speed entering the Miami defensive zone were unchallenged and the forwards didn't backcheck. The second period seemed like a completely different Miami team until the last :30 of the period. Hopefully it was just an off-night and we'll look back on this one as a blip on the radar.
      What I noticed in the Michigan-UNO series is that UNO really activates their d-men up into the play. They have the speed to backcheck effectively, but once in a while they get caught. Also, the officials really dictated the play in our series- a ton of penalties for both teams and turned both games into special teams battles.

UNO has speedy wingers with good offensive skills. Taking away the neutral zone is the only way to make them play honest. Force d-zone mistakes and penalties and take advantage of their weak PK. That's what Michigan did last weekend.

Comment

Streaker you are spot on. The best way to stop UNO is to prevent them from getting going. Aggressive forechecks can do that by forcing turnovers. I was very impressed by Miami's speed and skill last night but they gave up blue line very easily. Sometimes UNO can shoot the puck alot but they can be those shots from outside which are relatively harmless. One of the problems UNO has had is depth. 2 above average/very good lines and not much behind it. Blais found something last week with a Polk/Pearce/Parisek line that I watched last night. 2 of the Monpetit/Ortega line goals came right after a very good cycling/offensive zone shift from the P line.

If healthy, I'd expect Massa to start tonight. Also, with a Creighton Basketball game at 2:30, the ice will not be in great shape tonight. The team that does the dirty work and goes to the net most often will win tonight's game.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          What I noticed in the Michigan-UNO series is that UNO really activates their d-men up into the play. They have the speed to backcheck effectively, but once in a while they get caught. Also, the officials really dictated the play in our series- a ton of penalties for both teams and turned both games into special teams battles.

UNO has speedy wingers with good offensive skills. Taking away the neutral zone is the only way to make them play honest. Force d-zone mistakes and penalties and take advantage of their weak PK. That's what Michigan did last weekend.
          Holy doodie! I'm agreeing with Streaker for once! #signoftheapocalypse

Agree completely.
          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Wow. Just wow. UNO completely took Miami off their game and made us look incompetent much of the night. This is the first time Miami has been swept since February 3-4, 2012 (@Michigan) , and tonight's game wasn't even as close as the score may have suggested. We're getting to the point that, if we don't figure things out and start stringing some quality wins together, we are in serious danger of blowing our chance to play in Cincinnati this March. Hopefully this is the Swoon and it ends soon.
            Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
              Holy doodie! I'm agreeing with Streaker for once! #signoftheapocalypse

Agree completely.
              Even a blind weasel finds a nugget.

Blais ran the same system with the Sioux and Michigan beat his team in 1998 at Yost in the Regionals by implementing that strategy.

Comment

I'm absolutely shocked. Swept by UNO, are you ****ing kidding me? How can we be struggling this much to put together any sort of offense? We need to get ourselves together if we want to even be in the running for our own god**** regional.

Comment

Miami can definitely skate that's for sure. Both goaltenders made some very, very good saves. In addition to Czarnik playing a lot of D, Miami appeared to make a tactical adjustment by reversing the puck in the defensive zone on breakouts. It worked well early. UNO's puck possession was much better last night, and cycled the puck an awful lot. The D, while still active, didn't give up as many doozy scoring chances the other way. UNO's first goal was the result of Walters playing up top on a powerplay, getting a good keep and firing a shot. I tend to think Archibald should be down low instead of Megna as he's definitely not afraid to muck it up, and was a cog on the third of the night.

Sometimes playing a gauntlet of teams can leave a team gassed and come out flat. I'm very impressed that didn't happen to UNO this weekend. Confidence is a funny thing, and I'm excited to see where this thing goes.

Comment

Well this seals it, our defense is ****ing terrible. Why can't we just play a complete game? The first two periods I thought we had finally gotten back on track.

Comment

Feels like a loss. No reason for that game to be even close. When Miami skated like they can, Bemidji could barely get out of their defensive zone, let alone get anything through the neutral zone. Gotta play 60 minutes tomorrow.

Comment

I would challenge anyone to find a school that is experiencing anything close to the athletic misery of Miami University right now.

Anything less than a win tonight and I'm in full-on panic mode.

Comment

phewww. Sloppy first two periods followed by taking advantage of our opportunities in the third, saves everyone from panic mode. Still need to build on the consistency of the team.

Comment

This will be the first time in what, 25 years, that the Gwoz is not coaching either Denver or Miami. I'm not sure what that means in the overall scheme of things, but it is one of the major changes in college hockey.

Looks like it will be Miami's offense against Denver's defense this weekend. In goal, Sam "The Great" Brittain may be the difference maker. The Pioneers seem to have the edge in special teams, so I encourage the Redhawks to take lots of penalties, but NO shorthanded goals.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              This will be the first time in what, 25 years, that the Gwoz is not coaching either Denver or Miami. I'm not sure what that means in the overall scheme of things, but it is one of the major changes in college hockey.

Looks like it will be Miami's offense against Denver's defense this weekend. In goal, Sam "The Great" Brittain may be the difference maker. The Pioneers seem to have the edge in special teams, so I encourage the Redhawks to take lots of penalties, but NO shorthanded goals.
                              Alas, I was so looking forward to Rico-Gwoz battles on a annual/semiannual basis in the new conference.

Miami has definitely been down the past several weeks, but seemed to start pulling everything back together this past weekend (with the exception of the 3rd period on Friday...). Should be an exciting couple games to watch. You'll likely get your wish for plenty of special teams play.

Comment

Alright... gameday. Where is everybody?

We could really use a home sweep here. We're sitting one spot out of last in the conference, but a couple wins can change that pretty quickly. It would also be nice to go into this month off with some solid wins that can boost us a bit in the PairWise picture, if only for peace of mind during the break.

Comment

Working...
                                X