Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014: NCAA Weekly Pick'em

Originally posted by mnturkey View Post
    sorry if I hurt your feeling but I was under the impression that all the threads are open to all registered users, if not then tell us that we cannot post.
    You didn't hurt my feelings. It's just that if everyone came in here and rambled off nonsense then this would be a very difficult thread to follow for those participating. Next time, try to be more considerate of your fellow posters.

As I said before, if you want to make predictions like everyone else in here, please do. Otherwise, stick to the game threads please.

Thanks.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      \\

So 13 power play minutes on 24 penalty minutes hmmmm. Changed my prediction to 8 power play minutes
      Noted, and thanks for letting me know.
      North Dakota

Comment

So here are the results from the Pick'em Tournament for Thursday

#1 1988 vs. #12 vizoroo - 1988 wins 54-3

#6 FS23 vs. #10 aygwm2 - aygwm2 wins 37-4

So, playing on Saturday (and only using Saturday points) for the Pick'em Championship...

1988 vs. aygwm2

The matchup:
        - Both have Union winning the National Title, so they will either both earn 50 points or 0 for that.
        - They both picked 5 goals in the title game
        - 1988 went with 18700 for attendance, aygwm2 went with 17500 (today's games had 17311)
        - 1988 went with 63 SOG to aygwm2's 60
        - Both went with 14 minutes of powerplay

As a result, the winner of the pick'em tournament will almost certainly be determined through bonus.

As for the overall points lead...1988 clinches the title with a Union victory over Minnesota. If the Gophers beat the Dutchmen, then either SweeneyHawksHockey or Siouxfaninseattle could catch 1988, but it would require hitting the 25 point bonus for hitting all three tiebreakers. Because both SHH and SFIS predicted OT, and neither game today went to OT, that means that so long as the title game is decided in regulation (or so long as OT doesn't last 4 or 7 minutes (rounded)), 1988 will clinch.

As for the NCAA Tournament Points Lead...97osu currently has a small 9 point lead over drshoen. Both picked Union, so it will likely come down to bonus. Others still with a chance: Shirtless Bob (11 back), 1988 (19 back), gochiefs (24 back), and aygwm2 (25 back). Bonus will play a key, especially if someone is able to get the 25 point Tiebreaker bonus.
        North Dakota

Comment

Did not realize until the middle of the Union-BC game last night that I forgot to make picks for this week. Thanks for running this all season. Hopefully you have the time to continue this next year.

Comment

So here are the results from the Pick'em Tournament for Thursday

#1 1988 vs. #12 vizoroo - 1988 wins 54-3
            Almost as embarrassing as the Pios first period against BC.
            Even if I had picked the right teams, 1988 would still have won 4-3

1988, I've got Union to win it all so hope that doesn't jinx you. Good Luck.

FS23, unbelievable game last night. Don't you hate it when the GWG is the opponent's first of the year!
            Last edited by vizoroo; 04-11-2014, 07:23 PM.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
              Did not realize until the middle of the Union-BC game last night that I forgot to make picks for this week. Thanks for running this all season. Hopefully you have the time to continue this next year.
              I will do my best to keep it going next season. It doesn't take a ton of time for me to keep track...assuming we get the usual 20 or so people that regularly predict. That being said, it doesn't take that much more time to keep track, even if we have 40-50. If we start regularly getting more than that...I may have to ask for some assistance.
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                Almost as embarrassing as the Pios first period against BC.
                Even if I had picked the right teams, 1988 would still have won 4-3

1988, I've got Union to win it all so hope that doesn't jinx you. Good Luck.

FS23, unbelievable game last night. Don't you hate it when the GWG is the opponent's first of the year!
                You and me both struggled at the Pick'em Frozen Four...just wasn't meant to be.

As for the game last night, yes it was a classic. Disappointing to come out with a loss, but I'm very proud of my team. They fought hard for 59:59.4. Unfortunately, when you don't play the full 60, and the other team does, things like that happen. Plenty of kudos to the Gophers and Wilcox...guy is a stud. Of all the Sioux-Gophers games I have seen, that was easily top 10, and maybe even top 5. As I said in the game thread after the game, the only thing I would have changed was the outcome. Both teams played like everything was on the line. For a neutral, I'm sure it was a great day of hockey.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  I will do my best to keep it going next season. It doesn't take a ton of time for me to keep track...assuming we get the usual 20 or so people that regularly predict. That being said, it doesn't take that much more time to keep track, even if we have 40-50. If we start regularly getting more than that...I may have to ask for some assistance.
                  I suggest quit adding all the bonus crap. I quit after it got to be too much.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                    I suggest quit adding all the bonus crap. I quit after it got to be too much.
                    Does everyone feel this way? If the majority of predictors would rather scrap the bonus and just predict more games, I can easily do that.

I believe I added the bonus after there was suggestions last season of doing just that, so if that sentiment has changed, I don't mind switching it up for next season.

Anyway, I'm still tabulating all the scores and such. I'll try to have a recap here shortly with the different winners...
                    North Dakota

Comment

Alright, first off, Irish08 was 5 seconds off on his GWG of the Championship Game prediction...amazing job.

Pick'em Championship
                      1988 defeats aygwm2 63-51. Both posters predicted Union to win the championship on Saturday, but 1988 amazingly correctly predicted attendance for the championship game (18,700). While both posters lost 7 points for only predicting 5 goals in the title game, 1988 still earned 13 in the bonus to aygwm2's 1 point. Congratulations to 1988 on a great run to the Pick'em Title.

Pick'em Champion - 1988
                      Pick'em Runner-up - aygwm2
                      Pick'em Semifinalist - vizoroo
                      Pick'em Semifinalist - FS23

NCAA Tournament Points Title
                      97osu barely hung on to win the NCAA Tournament Points Title, squeaking out a 2 point victory over drshoen.

NCAA Tournament: Top 10
                      1. 97osu - 223 Points
                      2. drshoen - 221 Points
                      3. 1988 - 220 Points
                      4. Shirtless Bob - 210 Points
                      5. aygwm2 - 202 Points
                      6. allbear - 185 Points
                      7. Aerman - 184 Points
                      8. vizoroo - 164 Points
                      9 SiouxfaninSeattle - 149 Points
                      10. Irish08 - 146 Points

Correct Pick % Championship
                      FiveHole12 won this title, but we already knew that going into this week. Either way, a great job predicting from FH12.

Correct Pick %: Top 10
                      1. FiveHole12 - 60.94% (163-100-25)
                      t2. 1988 - 59.90% (160-103-25)
                      t2. SweeneyHawksHockey - 59.90% (160-103-25)
                      4. SiouxfaninSeattle - 59.20% (158-105-25)
                      5. Aerman - 59.17% (153-102-23)
                      6. allbear - 58.85% (157-106-25)
                      7. LakerDude - 58.57% (155-106-25)
                      8. Driftryder - 57.99% (89-62-18)
                      9. darker98 - 57.91% (116-82-17)
                      t10. ShirtlessBob - 57.81% (154-109-25)
                      t10. Irish08 - 57.81% (154-109-25)

As a group, we finished at 56.67%. Not quite as good as last season, but still pretty good, especially considering that we were around 52-53% midway through the season.

And final, the granddaddy of them all...

OVERALL POINTS CHAMPIONSHIP
                      Congratulations to 1988! It was a stellar season, and a stellar run for 1988, as 1988 led almost the entire way after week 6.

Points Leaderboard: Top 18 (200+ games predicted)
                      1. 1988 - 895 Points
                      2. gochiefs - 824 Points
                      3. all bear - 823 Points
                      4. SiouxfaninSeattle - 810 Points
                      5. Aerman - 807 Points
                      6. SweeneyHawksHockey - 804 Points
                      7. Shirtless Bob - 796 Points
                      8. aygwm2 - 795 Points
                      9. drshoen - 790 Points
                      10. 97osu - 787 Points
                      11. Irish08 - 758 Points
                      12. LakerDude - 756 Points
                      13. vizoroo - 754 Points
                      14. FS23 - 741 Points
                      15. FiveHole12 - 718 Points
                      16. HoosierPioneer - 674 Points
                      17. BCeagle - 593 Points
                      18. darker98 - 445 Points

As we can definitely see, the NCAA Tournament played a huge role in determining the final standings. gochiefs was sitting in 10th prior to this weekend, but used a strong Frozen Four (correctly predicted both semis and the national title) to vault into 2nd place. If you didn't have a solid Frozen Four, that dropped you. I was sitting in 7th heading into this weekend, but went with my heart and it cost me big time, as I dropped to 14th position.

It was another great season. Thank you to all of you who participated. Let me know how you would like to see pick'em changed for the better, and I'll do my best to have it be the most enjoyable experience possible. Once again, congratulations to 1988, FiveHole12, and 97osu on their respective championships.
                      North Dakota

Comment

FS23 Thanks for running the NCAA Pick'em, as I said before it was allot of fun!! Looking forward to next year and in regards to bonus questions I didn't have a problem with them.

Comment

Have you considered using the form feature on Google Docs? I've done it with stuff like this and it makes life quite a bit easier- could at least probably save you some time on data entry. I'll stop short of pledging availability to help out next season since I'm starting research work on top of the day job in the fall, but shoot me a PM/email if you want to chat about different ideas.
                          University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                          Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                            Have you considered using the form feature on Google Docs? I've done it with stuff like this and it makes life quite a bit easier- could at least probably save you some time on data entry. I'll stop short of pledging availability to help out next season since I'm starting research work on top of the day job in the fall, but shoot me a PM/email if you want to chat about different ideas.
                            I use excel right now, and I have a nice spreadsheet already put together to make calculating everything pretty easy. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for things to make my life easier, so I'll check out the form feature on Google Docs. Thanks for the tip!
                            North Dakota

Comment

I use excel right now, and I have a nice spreadsheet already put together to make calculating everything pretty easy. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for things to make my life easier, so I'll check out the form feature on Google Docs. Thanks for the tip!
                              You could use the form to collect the data and then plug it directly into your Excel sheet (the responses already aggregate to a sheet in Google Docs), and voila! Productivity! Thanks for running everything this year.
                              University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                              Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

I setup a Google spreadsheet a couple years ago to do HE picks. Basically gave access to the sheet for all the players. They enter their own picks ; saves you a ton of work.
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X