Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014: NCAA Weekly Pick'em

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to have the exact same number of games every week. There might be some great match-ups one week and maybe not the next. I would like to see 12-15 games/week with one or two bonus questions/week. The number of points could vary with the question - maybe 5 points for # of minutes played in XYZ conference and 10 points for SOG (but never or rarely all or nothing for number of points). I like 2 points for games in the first half and four points in the second half. Higher points for the FF is a good idea but maybe not 25 and 50. One thing that I think would increase enthusiasm and keep people interested is more timely reporting. I realize that you are very busy, so take the offer of help that a few posters have offered!
    I try to update rankings and the like each week, but obviously some weeks for me are significantly busier than others. As you said, I think I'll call on some volunteers next year to help out. I think I might wind up putting a googledoc up for the volunteers to have access to. We would continue to do pick'em on here with everyone posting their picks, and then between myself and the volunteers we would be able to input the data and figure out the points. That would allow the volunteers to post the standings whenever they were able to. I don't want to over-complicate things, but I think this might be a better way to get everyone's results back quicker.

As for having the same number of games, it just makes it easier to have one setup in excel...although not terribly difficult to change.

As for volunteers, if you want to help, just shoot me a message and we'll get a group together to figure the logistics of it out. It would be nice to have at least 1 person from each of the conferences on the "panel."

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Have not been really involved here, but, would there be any interest in a USCHO NHL playoff pick-em group over at NHL.com. Apologies if I have been redundant. I would volunteer to set it up if there is interest.
    I believe there is already one going on down in the Café. I think it was posted in the NHL Playoff thread. Might as well combine the two different groups to have as many posters from USCHO as possible in the same group.

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    I was absolutely amazed no one passed me. My picks sucked in the second half. So what's that say about everyone else?

Thanks for doing this FS23. I enjoy Pick'em very much. I prefer a less bonus questions, but whatever you decide is fine with me.

I play two games during the season... Pick'em and Fantasy College Hockey. Between the two, one really gets a feel for what's going on in ALL of D-1 hockey. Not only the individual player stats, but the strength of the teams as well, and what makes certain teams stronger than others. That is of course, if one is paying attention.
    Agreed. I really enjoyed Fantasy College Hockey last season. The draft days simply didn't work out for me this year, so I wasn't able to do it. I enjoy researching and seeing teams that I normally wouldn't follow. It helps with pick'em as well, but requires more of a time commitment.

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Think you should keep a little flexibility on the "Pick Em." Some weeks have more compelling matchups, so as long as each conference has one included, most interesting games prevail.
    2. We pick 12 games each week generally spread throughout the conferences. with 1 or 2 bonus questions-surprise us
    C or D until national tournament then go up.
    I or II, but not all or nothing.

Hmmm, I think I did better on bonus questions than picking so ==1 point a game and at least 20 for bonus
    I usually try to pick the "best" games...although if I wind up getting a group of volunteers, perhaps we could have a panel selecting the games.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Yeah, less bonus, more beer would be good. Can we have cheerleaders next year ? I'd suggest throwing out everyones worst 2 or 3 weeks. This gives the guys that miss a pick or a coupla picks the chance to still be in the fracas so to speak. I'm sure whatever you end up with will be just fine, you do a good job. Its a lot of work and appreciated by us lazier bahstads.
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
        Yeah, less bonus, more beer would be good. Can we have cheerleaders next year ?
        Beer and cheerleaders. It is hard to properly hate some ME fans, despite my best efforts.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

How does everyone feel about the following:

We pick 15 games each week, spread throughout the conferences.
          Each game in the first half of the season will be worth 2 points.
          Each game in the second half of the season will be worth 3 points.
          Each series in the Conference Tournaments will be worth 4 points.
          Regional Semifinals will be worth 3 points.
          Regional Finals will be worth 4 points.
          Frozen Four Semifinals will be worth 6 points.
          Frozen Four Championship will be worth 8 points.

There will be 1 bonus question each week.
          The bonus question will range between 5-10 points.
          The bonus question will be scored depending on how close you are to the actual result (i.e. NOT all or nothing).

I will have a volunteer panel.
          They will have three primary functions:
          1) To submit 4-5 games from their specific conference (i.e. the ECAC panelist will submit 4-5 games featuring ECAC teams) by 11:59 Eastern on Sunday each week;
          2) To help collect/input/compute data using an excel spreadsheet (likely through googledocs, but I'm open to other ideas);
          3) To help resolve any disputes that come up

If you are interested on being on the panel, please message me (or post in this thread). You won't need to do everything from these functions (for example, if you're not a data guy, and just want to pick games from conference x, that's fine). I already have one person interested for Hockey East, and I'll fill the volunteer positions on a first come, first serve basis. You do not have to be a fan of the conference to be on its panel.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, and let me know if you are interested in volunteering to be part of the panel. Hopefully next year will be the best year of pick'em yet!
          Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

The bonus question will be scored depending on how close you are to the actual result (i.e. NOT all or nothing).

1) To submit 4-5 games from their specific conference (i.e. the ECAC panelist will submit 4-5 games featuring ECAC teams) by 11:59 Eastern on Sunday each week;
            2) To help collect/input/compute data using an excel spreadsheet (likely through googledocs, but I'm open to other ideas);

If you are interested on being on the panel, please message me (or post in this thread). You won't need to do everything from these functions (for example, if you're not a data guy, and just want to pick games from conference x, that's fine). I already have one person interested for Hockey East, and I'll fill the volunteer positions on a first come, first serve basis. You do not have to be a fan of the conference to be on its panel.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, and let me know if you are interested in volunteering to be part of the panel. Hopefully next year will be the best year of pick'em yet!
            Pick 'em is going big time! I like the scoring system. And the bonus question format. Hopefully we can get an even bigger crowd of regulars next year so I can finish even further from the top.

I'd be happy to help as part of the panel in any capacity. Even though it contradicts all of my morals to collaborate with anyone with "Fighting Sioux" in their screen name
            Last edited by HoosierPioneer; 04-15-2014, 09:29 PM.
            University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
            Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
              Pick 'em is going big time! I like the scoring system. And the bonus question format. Hopefully we can get an even bigger crowd of regulars next year so I can finish even further from the top.

I'd be happy to help as part of the panel in any capacity. Even though it contradicts all of my morals to collaborate with anyone with "Fighting Sioux" in their screen name

Ideally, I think 50 would be a great target for participants. My guess is that if we do it right, we can get 25-30 regulars for next season.

I'll put you down as the panelist for the NCHC (unless you'd prefer another conference).

So far we have...

Hockey East - FiveHole12
              NCHC - HoosierPioneer

Still need volunteers for...

ECAC -
              Atlantic Hockey -
              WCHA -
              Big Ten -
              North Dakota

Comment

Ideally, I think 50 would be a great target for participants. My guess is that if we do it right, we can get 25-30 regulars for next season.

I'll put you down as the panelist for the NCHC (unless you'd prefer another conference).

So far we have...

Hockey East - FiveHole12
                NCHC - HoosierPioneer

Still need volunteers for...

ECAC -
                Atlantic Hockey -
                WCHA -
                Big Ten -
                I'm happy to be be a consultant to the cause. If there's anyone out there who's interested in the NCHC, by all means they can have it. If we need someone for Atlantic Hockey when it's all said and done, I can fill that role too. Otherwise I'd be just fine assisting with the mechanics of it all.
                University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

• Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                  I'm happy to be be a consultant to the cause. If there's anyone out there who's interested in the NCHC, by all means they can have it. If we need someone for Atlantic Hockey when it's all said and done, I can fill that role too. Otherwise I'd be just fine assisting with the mechanics of it all.
                  Sounds good to me. I'll pencil you in as a wildcard then.

Hockey East - FiveHole12
                  Wildcard - HoosierPioneer

Still looking for
                  NCHC
                  ECAC
                  Big Ten
                  Atlantic Hockey
                  WCHA
                  North Dakota

Comment

Perfect! I would be happy to help. No preference on conference, although since my favorite team plays in the WCHA.....oops, never mind.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                      Perfect! I would be happy to help. No preference on conference, although since my favorite team plays in the WCHA.....oops, never mind.

I'll place you as a wildcard too. That means we need 3 more for the panel.
                      North Dakota

Comment

I'm a little late to the party following the Frozen Four but I just wanted to reach out to you (Fighting Sioux 23) and thank you for running this whole contest. I had a lot of fun this year making my picks and following along week to week. One area that I really enjoy about this contest is that the games we are picking week to week span the entire landscape of college hockey rather than focusing on one conference.

I think the scoring system you laid out for next year above is great. Having the point value increase as the season goes on allows for people to make comebacks as well as rewarding a good run in the 2nd half of the season (I know the SIOUX know a little something about 2nd half runs ).

As for volunteers for next season, I know HoosierPioneer originally volunteered to be on the panel for the NCHC but if they are willing to go for another conference I would be willing to offer my input for the NCHC. This is the conference I follow the closest (Miami) and I think it would be a lot of fun giving my input and helping out with data input.

Once again, thanks for running everything Fighting Sioux 23 and I am already looking forward to next season.

EDIT: I somehow missed that Siouxfaninseattle is offering to be on the panel as well. If they want NCHC that is fine with me I am open to offering input for any conference.
                        Last edited by SweeneyHawksHockey; 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM. Reason: Addition
                        2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Still would like to see more than 1 bonus question, at least every now and then.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
                            I'm a little late to the party following the Frozen Four but I just wanted to reach out to you (Fighting Sioux 23) and thank you for running this whole contest. I had a lot of fun this year making my picks and following along week to week. One area that I really enjoy about this contest is that the games we are picking week to week span the entire landscape of college hockey rather than focusing on one conference.

I think the scoring system you laid out for next year above is great. Having the point value increase as the season goes on allows for people to make comebacks as well as rewarding a good run in the 2nd half of the season (I know the SIOUX know a little something about 2nd half runs ).

As for volunteers for next season, I know HoosierPioneer originally volunteered to be on the panel for the NCHC but if they are willing to go for another conference I would be willing to offer my input for the NCHC. This is the conference I follow the closest (Miami) and I think it would be a lot of fun giving my input and helping out with data input.

Once again, thanks for running everything Fighting Sioux 23 and I am already looking forward to next season.

EDIT: I somehow missed that Siouxfaninseattle is offering to be on the panel as well. If they want NCHC that is fine with me I am open to offering input for any conference.

Thanks, and I'll put you down as another wildcard...hopefully we can get a couple of Eastern fans to help fill out the remaining two spots.
                            North Dakota

Comment

I would be willing to help selecting ECAC games. Not really much of a data/excel person, so I'd rather not help with scoring, etc.
                              Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                              Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                                I would be willing to help selecting ECAC games. Not really much of a data/excel person, so I'd rather not help with scoring, etc.
                                I think we have enough help on the tech side, so that would be great if you could be the ECAC panelist and help pick those games.

That means that we have:

Hockey East: FiveHole12
                                ECAC: drshoen
                                Wildcard: HoosierPioneer, SiouxfaininSeattle, and SweeneyHawksHockey

If we could get an Eastern fan to do Atlantic Hockey, then all we will need is to have a fight to the near-death for the wildcards to determine who gets the NCHC, WCHA, and B1G
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X