• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Re: NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    And who picks up the tab if there is a financial loss?
    Seem to have no problem so far.

And yes, those are national promotions; nothing says that local spots couldn't be produced similar. And hey, there is a broadcasting class that could help do it too...

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    By corporate promotion, I mean the psudo-commercials like, for example, "Masterpiece Theatre presented by Ford F150" *cut to touchy/feely promo for Ford* and by BP *cut to heartwarming promo for Gulf state cleanup*.

*edit* Like this: http://youtu.be/TANHo81u-E8

Here are short promos from Canon and Ford during Nature.
    http://youtu.be/Pc_5CI-5Ek8
    Those national corporate promos come from PBS. And who picks up the tab if there is a financial loss? TV-13 doesn't have much latitude when it come to financial risk.

Leave a comment:

• tmoney@nmu
    replied

More eyeballs on screens.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

New Hampshire Public TV aired UNH games for years. Wisconsin Public TV has aired Badger games for decades. Bemidji got a deal with Minnesota PBS.

Somehow they're all able to get underwriters and sponsorship.

And WNMU TV13 continues to ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• tmoney@nmu
    replied

They're not going to pay enough for just mentions like that out of the goodness of their corporate hearts.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by tmoney@nmu View Post
    The major difference between TV6 and 13 is the type of FCC license. Now I'm trying to draw from 10 year old information from my Mass Comm Law class back in 2003 and my experience working at Radio X; but, standard advertizements on TV13 fall into a category of illegality. You can say, "Company X gave us money, here's their tagline." But, anything beyond that is a no. Any "call to action" such as, "Go buy this" illegal. Of course I can be oversimplifying this, and once again drawing off of 10 year old information badly stored in my brain for a class I got a B- in.
    By corporate promotion, I mean the psudo-commercials like, for example, "Masterpiece Theatre presented by Ford F150" *cut to touchy/feely promo for Ford* and by BP *cut to heartwarming promo for Gulf state cleanup*.

*edit* Like this: http://youtu.be/TANHo81u-E8

Here are short promos from Canon and Ford during Nature.
    http://youtu.be/Pc_5CI-5Ek8
    Last edited by aparch; 10-11-2013, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tmoney@nmu
    replied

The major difference between TV6 and 13 is the type of FCC license. Now I'm trying to draw from 10 year old information from my Mass Comm Law class back in 2003 and my experience working at Radio X; but, standard advertizements on TV13 fall into a category of illegality. You can say, "Company X gave us money, here's their tagline." But, anything beyond that is a no. Any "call to action" such as, "Go buy this" illegal. Of course I can be oversimplifying this, and once again drawing off of 10 year old information badly stored in my brain for a class I got a B- in.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    You have to remember that TV6 has a much greater opportunity to cover its production costs and even profit from these broadcasts. As an advertiser, I'd be much more likely to sponsor a broadcast where I can run my regular TV commercial as opposed to the greatly toned down announcements on Public TV. Also, if TV6 doesn't cover it's costs it has other revenues to cover it in the long run. They have a much greater ability to take a financial risk than does WNMU. If WNMU were to end up $3,000 in the hole for the weekend, who picks up the tab?
    TV6 also has to factor in the cost of production truck use and additional staff. Can't just send Ludlum with a shoulder camera to broadcast the game. WNMU TV13 already is on site and wired to the buildings eliminating the need to roll extra staff. Camera operators could be volunteer, as they are for Public Eye News.

TV timeouts are standard in college hockey. Plenty of time to air sponsorship promotion *cough*ads*cough*. Instead of :15/:30 spots on TV6, they could get :30/1:00 spots during the intermission breaks. Of the 15/18 minutes of intermission, PBS would only need 5 for recap/highlights.

Sponsorship of PK/PP and each period could replace some sponsorship promotions

And you're forgetting about viewer donations. With the drop in donations, wouldn't this be a good time to gamble on new income sources? What would TV13 lose? Try it during fundraiser week when programming isn't quite on schedule anyway.

I'm glad to see that some station has taken the initiative to try this. Obviously the market is there, why not try it out? How many people called into ABC10 to get the Regional Game vs SCSU on air?

It infuriates me that a promotional arm of the University, with a reach across the whole UP, continues to bury it's head in the sand.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Great news Cat (and Husky) fans... WLUC tv6 will be airing the home and home series this October.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...4#.Ulbrccso7qB

And yet another way in which TV13 continues to s**t on the University it receives funding from.
    You have to remember that TV6 has a much greater opportunity to cover its production costs and even profit from these broadcasts. As an advertiser, I'd be much more likely to sponsor a broadcast where I can run my regular TV commercial as opposed to the greatly toned down announcements on Public TV. Also, if TV6 doesn't cover it's costs it has other revenues to cover it in the long run. They have a much greater ability to take a financial risk than does WNMU. If WNMU were to end up $3,000 in the hole for the weekend, who picks up the tab?

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Great news Cat (and Husky) fans... WLUC tv6 will be airing the home and home series this October.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...4#.Ulbrccso7qB

And yet another way in which TV13 continues to s**t on the University it receives funding from.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long! All the old spots are still good. Except Whiskers/Overtime. It's now a grassy field!
    Good. That means I can go to Vango's before the game and either the Nickel or Stucko's afterward.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by potternmu View Post
    Definitely looking forward to this season of NMU hockey. I'm trying to pick out a home series to go to, as I live 8 hours from campus, but I am definitely planning a road trip to watch the Cats in Huntsville. Very excited to see their arena, and maybe even get a little bit of spring golf in.
    You are most welcome in our little village.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I don't know... I haven't been up there since December 2007. Last I checked, Stucko's was the spot, but that may have changed.

Also, the last time I was up there was when the "EAT A SANDWICH" chant was born.
    Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long! All the old spots are still good. Except Whiskers/Overtime. It's now a grassy field!

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

What's wrong with the old ones?
    I don't know... I haven't been up there since December 2007. Last I checked, Stucko's was the spot, but that may have changed.

Also, the last time I was up there was when the "EAT A SANDWICH" chant was born.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    So where is the new post-game drinking spot?
    What's wrong with the old ones?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X