Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
    gfmorris, no disrepect man. Ever since Huntsville burst on the scene by tying my Black Bears in 2004 I've been a fan, and I'm glad your program survived and was accepted into a conference. It's great for college hockey and I think a lot of people are rooting for you. Still, comparing programs like NMU and Huntsville right now is unfair. Four years ago we were one of the leaders in the strongest conference in college hockey. Meanwhile Huntsville was struggling to keep its head above the water as a program. It's like being ok with UK beating Bama in football.
    If you meant no disrespect, you wouldn't have used the words that you did, or you would have apologized for them.

The facts of the matter are these: you were facing a senior goaltender who got his first start of the season and came into the game with a career 5.00 GAA. You rocked him in the first period (especially with the screen job on that first goal that I feel put him on his heels a little bit). But then it's 3-2 after two periods. Your PP goes 0-for-6. Are we a well-skilled team? No. Did we set the NCAA record for losses in a season? Yes. But if our captain doesn't make an unbelievable turnover with 6:08 left so that Nowick could get his hat trick two seconds later, that's still a 3-2 lead on the road in front of a home crowd that hasn't seen a D-I home win in three years with a team that really wanted to get one at home in their final game. Who knows what would have happened? Sure, we'd have probably lost the game (we've, uh, lost a lot of them this year), but still, that was a real team that you could've lost to.

It's hard to reconcile "I've been a fan" with your other statements. Don't try to tell me what it's like or not like. Don't be a dick.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I've only heard rumors. davyd83 you would be the one with the inside scoop so I'd cede to you.

When I was a student we approached the AD numerous times to get games on television in some format. Despite showing them numbers, they dismissed us as "dumb kids." Godfrey was running the program like it was the mid 1960s, arguing that TV would hurt ticket sales even if we blacked out MQT County. No one was going to televise the NCAA game in 2010 until me and my friend contacted ABC10. Let's just say that was a good decision for them. I heard Tech or WLUC approached NMU about televising the series. I believe this since Forrest Karr never brought up the idea of televising games in his job interview to my knowledge, and also the AD's general intransigence to change or good ideas of any kind. [http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co...thletics.html]
      Tv6/FoxUP approached the schools. Tech was reluctant, even more so than NMU. Attendance was down 300 at NMU for the televised game than for the earlier game. The difference at Tech (nearly 1000 less) can at least in part be blamed on the weather although no doubt many stayed home and watched on TV that would have gone regardless of the snow.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Did we set the NCAA record for losses in a season? Yes.
        and it's a college hockey team in...Alabama. For your own sake get tougher skin or a sense of humor pal. Otherwise the next few seasons are going to be rough for you. I apologize if I was not politically correct enough for your standards on an online message board. It's possible to be proud of where you're from and be able to take the heat from others. Makes it sweeter when you surprise the favorites one day, which UAH will. NMU fans know that position very well.
        NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I understand that it takes money to make money, and it's hard to do if you're not making money... I also understand that MQT is a small town and the local community is financially tapped out (for the most part)... but simple things to try out wouldn't hurt.

I really hoped that Forest Carr would change things. He did so much while at UA_. He's been publicly absent since his hiring.
          Aparch, it's good to know that my friends and I are not alone in opinion on these issues. I agree in that I'm disappointed in Karr. He has been exceedingly average. The AD frankly needs to be cleaned out and hire some non-Yoopers who have vision. I'm optimistic with time Karr will get things done. The real important issue on the horizon is who the next President will be. Hopefully it's not an NMU insider like Haynes. We need another Les Wong (and not a Judith Bailey).

Thanks for the info davyd. I still feel like looking at TV potential by only analyzing a handful of games is a form of selection bias. Long term marketability is how these people need to be thinking. And if Fox UP approached the schools, then that is further evidence the problem--that the AD remains ignorant of the product they have and continue to refuse to market it to a regional audience. Like Maine where I grew up, the UP is a place where local college hockey will draw more fans than D1 scUM/UW basketball. Not many people are going to drive 2 hours for a game. Btw, don't take this as a slight against radio, we got the best possible announcer around.
          NMU '10

Comment

and it's a college hockey team in...Alabama. For your own sake get tougher skin or a sense of humor pal. Otherwise the next few seasons are going to be rough for you. I apologize if I was not politically correct enough for your standards on an online message board. It's possible to be proud of where you're from and be able to take the heat from others. Makes it sweeter when you surprise the favorites one day, which UAH will. NMU fans know that position very well.
            If you cannot see the inherent contradiction in your own words, well, I don't know what to tell you.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

well after that perfunctory thumping of Alabama-Huntsville (is that a real team?), the 'Cats have a chance to redeem this hitherto abysmal season with a classic Walt Kyle conference playoff run and still finish out of the NCAAs. Looks like NMU will be facing Mankato. Is there any hope? Remember when NMU was actually respectable?
              It's definitely a real team. Those kids played their tails off. They've got a terrific city, a good school and a coach who will get them where they need to go. If will take a few years. But they've had to start at ground zero. Maybe even lower. Those kids may not all be prime D-1 talent at this point, but they sure play with heart. If Corbett can keep that level of commitment while improving the talent base, it won't belong before fans quit putting them in the "automatic" category. I know coaches and players who will already tell you they are anything but automatic.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Florek is looking pretty good tonight in Boston.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                X