• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    *bump*

Bye week(end) - Discuss
    Orange Barrel pitches a shutout both nights for Bye Week... BWK's head explodes.... The world is a happier place as a result...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

So with eight games left, I think 6-2 is what the Cats will have to finish for a realistic chance at home ice.

Just thought I'd bring this thread up from the depth.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
        . . . and they resurface! How can you hold your breath that long? See you in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
          So with eight games left, I think 6-2 is what the Cats will have to finish for a realistic chance at home ice.

5-3 will give them a good chance. 6-2 will do it for sure.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

well after that perfunctory thumping of Alabama-Huntsville (is that a real team?), the 'Cats have a chance to redeem this hitherto abysmal season with a classic Walt Kyle conference playoff run and still finish out of the NCAAs. Looks like NMU will be facing Mankato. Is there any hope? Remember when NMU was actually respectable?
            NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
              well after that perfunctory thumping of Alabama-Huntsville (is that a real team?), the 'Cats have a chance to redeem this hitherto abysmal season with a classic Walt Kyle conference playoff run and still finish out of the NCAAs. Looks like NMU will be facing Mankato. Is there any hope? Remember when NMU was actually respectable?
              For a team that was picked to finish 6th in both preseason polls and then lost their captain (and best player) a third of the way into the season, finishing 6th or 7th really isn't that bad.

Comment

Dallas Drake isn't walking through that door. Neither are Mike Santorelli, Dirk Southern, Nathan Oystrick, Pat Bateman, etc...
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Remember when NMU was actually respectable?
                  1991? Kinda fuzzy since we're approaching the 25th anniversary of it.

This team was picked 6th in the preseason. http://wcha.com/men/pres1314/201309/sep25cp.php
                  And will finish there with a UAA loss tonight. Or, since UAA holds a 2-0 lead midway through their game tonight, NMU can take the easier travel trip and face off against Mankato, who WAS favorited to win the league handily in the preseason.

Honestly, until there is a serious cash influx into the hockey program, this is the best we're going to get on a budget that hasn't changed since Rick Comley was coach AND athletic director.

Speaking of abysmal seasons... Walt has yet to have a stinker of a season like Rick did during the "glory years" at Lakeview Arena. So can we all move on? The 'Cats are not going to be returning to Lakeview. They're never going to be in a conference with Minnesota, Michigan, Denver, and North Dakota ever again.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Dallas Drake isn't walking through that door. Neither are Mike Santorelli, Dirk Southern, Nathan Oystrick, Pat Bateman, etc...
                    No, but what Walt has been able to do is turn a lot of those into professional hockey players. Santorelli was a gamble taken by Vancouver where he was able to play how we all knew he could from his NMU days. Oystrick, who developed into a stellar shut down defenseman, was able to spend four years with the Chicago Wolves / Atlanta Thrashers and continues to play in the KHL. Florek is developing into a top Bruins prospect.

Guys like Southern continue to play minor league hockey; or are currently giving back to the NMU hockey program like Rob Lehtinen, Dusty Collins, Andy Fernandez.

While we may not be stocked with "blue chip" prospects that challenge for a national title every year (BC, BU), NMU has been able to develop players into AHL and NHL players... which means a lot more to NHL scouts in where they draft/sign talent from.

*edit* Not directed at you Bob, just building off your thoughts.

For those interested, here's a list of NMU alumni still playing professionally:
                    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5165492

That list was half as big when I was at NMU. We may not be National Championship contenders every year, but we're a hell of a development program for the NHL.
                    Last edited by aparch; 03-08-2014, 11:39 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Most nights, the slights don't bother me, but tonight, they do. Attempt self-copulation, sisu458. (Is that even a real name?)

Good win tonight for the Wildcats: lots of pressure in the first 9:00, weathered the goals from Prince, stayed in it, and then Nowick was there for that ghastly turnover by Reid. Nice breakaway goal to end that one. The building was ready to explode if UAH had tied that one up.

Good luck in Mankato. That's a tough place to play. Make sure to arrive more than 2.5 hours before puck drop on Friday night.

GFM
                      Last edited by gfmorris; 03-09-2014, 01:00 AM.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm not talking about returning to the early 90s. The college hockey landscape has changed too much obviously. I'm talking about 4 years ago. Preseason polls don't mean squat. Many college hockey writers are often woefully ignorant (remember Paula?). How often are preseason polls accurate in any sport?

What frustrates me more than anything else with NMU's fanbase is its acceptance of mediocrity. I know we aren't playing the B1G and I think that's good for us. Now there are no more excuses about money, school size, etc. to not qualify for the NCAAs almost every year. Think about it, are you ok being perennially worse than Ferris State(just look at their rink) and BGSU (a program on the verge of elimination only a few years back)? With NMU's facilities, tradition, location, and coach (Walt is a genius) the 'Cats should be one of the best programs in this conference EVERY YEAR. To not think so is exactly the small town mindset that leads to the Berry still having a video screen from the Cold War and no games on television (until recently, & courtesy of Tech). I am upset because I know the potential our program has. It's not some crazy dream either, it happened only a few years ago.

gfmorris, no disrepect man. Ever since Huntsville burst on the scene by tying my Black Bears in 2004 I've been a fan, and I'm glad your program survived and was accepted into a conference. It's great for college hockey and I think a lot of people are rooting for you. Still, comparing programs like NMU and Huntsville right now is unfair. Four years ago we were one of the leaders in the strongest conference in college hockey. Meanwhile Huntsville was struggling to keep its head above the water as a program. It's like being ok with UK beating Bama in football.
                        NMU '10

Comment

I'm not talking about returning to the early 90s. The college hockey landscape has changed too much obviously. I'm talking about 4 years ago. Preseason polls don't mean squat. Many college hockey writers are often woefully ignorant (remember Paula?). How often are preseason polls accurate in any sport?

What frustrates me more than anything else with NMU's fanbase is its acceptance of mediocrity. I know we aren't playing the B1G and I think that's good for us. Now there are no more excuses about money, school size, etc. to not qualify for the NCAAs almost every year. Think about it, are you ok being perennially worse than Ferris State(just look at their rink) and BGSU (a program on the verge of elimination only a few years back)? With NMU's facilities, tradition, location, and coach (Walt is a genius) the 'Cats should be one of the best programs in this conference EVERY YEAR. To not think so is exactly the small town mindset that leads to the Berry still having a video screen from the Cold War and no games on television (until recently, & courtesy of Tech). I am upset because I know the potential our program has. It's not some crazy dream either, it happened only a few years ago.

gfmorris, no disrepect man. Ever since Huntsville burst on the scene by tying my Black Bears in 2004 I've been a fan, and I'm glad your program survived and was accepted into a conference. It's great for college hockey and I think a lot of people are rooting for you. Still, comparing programs like NMU and Huntsville right now is unfair. Four years ago we were one of the leaders in the strongest conference in college hockey. Meanwhile Huntsville was struggling to keep its head above the water as a program. It's like being ok with UK beating Bama in football.
                          As for games on TV, first you must have someone willing to televise them. How was the recent series "courtesy of Tech?"
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            As for games on TV, first you must have someone willing to televise them. How was the recent series "courtesy of Tech?"
                            I've only heard rumors. davyd83 you would be the one with the inside scoop so I'd cede to you.

When I was a student we approached the AD numerous times to get games on television in some format. Despite showing them numbers, they dismissed us as "dumb kids." Godfrey was running the program like it was the mid 1960s, arguing that TV would hurt ticket sales even if we blacked out MQT County. No one was going to televise the NCAA game in 2010 until me and my friend contacted ABC10. Let's just say that was a good decision for them. I heard Tech or WLUC approached NMU about televising the series. I believe this since Forrest Karr never brought up the idea of televising games in his job interview to my knowledge, and also the AD's general intransigence to change or good ideas of any kind. [http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co...thletics.html]
                            NMU '10

Comment

I go back a little bit further than you, as there were a few of us who kept hounding TV13 to air the games (even tape delayed, or one game on the weekend, something) once Charter stopped covering the games in 2002, but were continually told that the cost to have staff work the late hours and running of cables to master control wasn't worth it. Even with us students volunteering to operate cameras and production. And you're absolutely right about the prior regime in the AD office.

Seeing what came about after us (ie: CatChat) showed that steps were slowly moving forward. With the upgrade to HDTV and digital sub-channels, a push was once again made to air something on TV13 to draw viewers to the channel. This time, the push back was that "airing full blown PBS programming is more important, and maintaining existing programming viewership" along with the "cost" word thrown around again.

One big tell of how concerned with local programming WNMU is, is the lack of local documentaries within the last few years. It seemed every year they would have one big documentary that would draw viewers and donations. Now it's just more re-broadcasts of John Tesh in hopes of maintaining donations.

And you wouldn't believe the struggle us alumni have had with the prior AD and with the interim president in trying to test changes to improve the game experience. I've personally submitted ideas that various minor league hockey programs have done to the hockey staff, to the AD office, but it was met with no reaction and no response.

I understand that it takes money to make money, and it's hard to do if you're not making money... I also understand that MQT is a small town and the local community is financially tapped out (for the most part)... but simple things to try out wouldn't hurt.

I really hoped that Forest Carr would change things. He did so much while at UA_. He's been publicly absent since his hiring.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                I go back a little bit further than you, as there were a few of us who kept hounding TV13 to air the games (even tape delayed, or one game on the weekend, something) once Charter stopped covering the games in 2002, but were continually told that the cost to have staff work the late hours and running of cables to master control wasn't worth it. Even with us students volunteering to operate cameras and production. And you're absolutely right about the prior regime in the AD office.

Seeing what came about after us (ie: CatChat) showed that steps were slowly moving forward. With the upgrade to HDTV and digital sub-channels, a push was once again made to air something on TV13 to draw viewers to the channel. This time, the push back was that "airing full blown PBS programming is more important, and maintaining existing programming viewership" along with the "cost" word thrown around again.

One big tell of how concerned with local programming WNMU is, is the lack of local documentaries within the last few years. It seemed every year they would have one big documentary that would draw viewers and donations. Now it's just more re-broadcasts of John Tesh in hopes of maintaining donations.

And you wouldn't believe the struggle us alumni have had with the prior AD and with the interim president in trying to test changes to improve the game experience. I've personally submitted ideas that various minor league hockey programs have done to the hockey staff, to the AD office, but it was met with no reaction and no response.

I understand that it takes money to make money, and it's hard to do if you're not making money... I also understand that MQT is a small town and the local community is financially tapped out (for the most part)... but simple things to try out wouldn't hurt.

I really hoped that Forest Carr would change things. He did so much while at UA_. He's been publicly absent since his hiring.
                                Carr may be publicly absent but he hasn't been invisible to the athletic department. Walt on more than one occasion has credited Forrest for arranging better flight accommodations to Alaska. Davyd could probably give better detail about that since he was the one interviewing him. Heck, Walt even gave credit to interim president Haynes for going to the board of control and securing more funding for travel costs.

This past December Carr was on the roundtable show and announced that the Superior Dome will have a new video board in place by September to replace that 23 year old scoreboard. He mentioned that a video board for the Berry is on the wish list but finding funding for that may take time after finally securing corporate funding for the Dome's new board.

I can't speak about the t.v. broadcast problems. But based on Davyd's responses regarding this season's NMU/MTU series I have to believe Carr wouldn't be as closed minded about it as previous regimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X