NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

I lurk here a lot and have yet to see a post where boot_walt_kyle actually puts forth a solution to his problem with Walt. Under NMU's budget, as I figure it is, Walt Kyle is one hell of a bargain, but that is just my opinion. I think he does good in recruiting, considering Marquette's climate, the fact that NMU is a D2 school, in the middle of nowhere and plain old does not have the facilities or assets of the majority of the former CCHA schools or I am sure a lot of the nWCHA schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      No... Blatant trolling of the NMU Fanbase is not welcome... Anyone that does so is a cancer on the fanbase... If you truely gave a **** like you claim to do, you would make yourself known... But of course, you live too far away to actually make a game or do anything to contribute to the manner, so it's a moot point... You will never donate or do anything to help this team out...
      I do live too far away to make a game, MQT is a crappy place to fly into. I can fly to games in Alaska cheaper than I can fly back to Marquette for a game. Next time the Cats are out at UNO I might go, maybe a Minnesota State game could happen. But dead serious, any games I am going to see involve at least a 10 hour drive or a $400 flight. Do you have any ideas how I can contribute to the team? I currently donate an annual amount to the universities general foundation, if you have a way to make sure this money could be used instead to help disadvantaged kids get tickets to games, I would gladly put my money towards that. I'm not even being sarcastic, if you have any idea of some kind of charity that does such a thing, please let me know. You might have trouble believing this, but I am a huge Wildcat fan, I attended almost every basketball, football and hockey game while I was at school. If you want to say that I am a cancer to the school, that's your opinion, but I know that when I drove down to Green Bay to watch the basketball team play over winter break, I was one of the few fans there. Honestly, I know that I am a true NMU fan, I just realize that there is a difference between loving NMU and being a fan and supporting the head hockey coach unconditionally. My honest assessment of the situation is that NMU could do better if they replaced Walt as head coach. In the past, people on this board have defended Walt by saying he has to compete against schools with much larger budgets and capabilities than NMU. This year will be a good test of this theory; in the new WCHA, NMU will be on more equal funding with its league counter parts. If NMU can't finish in the top 5 of the new WCHA, it will prove to me that no matter what, Walt can not lead NMU hockey to competitive finishes and NMU hockey need to move on and search for new coaching prospects. If they do finish in the top 5, I will happily eat crow and move on. I would love for nothing more than NMU to be competitive in the new WCHA and finish top 4 year in and year out. Whether that is with Walt or without, I don't care; I just want it to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
        I do live too far away to make a game, MQT is a crappy place to fly into. I can fly to games in Alaska cheaper than I can fly back to Marquette for a game. Next time the Cats are out at UNO I might go, maybe a Minnesota State game could happen. But dead serious, any games I am going to see involve at least a 10 hour drive or a $400 flight. Do you have any ideas how I can contribute to the team? I currently donate an annual amount to the universities general foundation, if you have a way to make sure this money could be used instead to help disadvantaged kids get tickets to games, I would gladly put my money towards that. I'm not even being sarcastic, if you have any idea of some kind of charity that does such a thing, please let me know. You might have trouble believing this, but I am a huge Wildcat fan, I attended almost every basketball, football and hockey game while I was at school. If you want to say that I am a cancer to the school, that's your opinion, but I know that when I drove down to Green Bay to watch the basketball team play over winter break, I was one of the few fans there. Honestly, I know that I am a true NMU fan, I just realize that there is a difference between loving NMU and being a fan and supporting the head hockey coach unconditionally. My honest assessment of the situation is that NMU could do better if they replaced Walt as head coach. In the past, people on this board have defended Walt by saying he has to compete against schools with much larger budgets and capabilities than NMU. This year will be a good test of this theory; in the new WCHA, NMU will be on more equal funding with its league counter parts. If NMU can't finish in the top 5 of the new WCHA, it will prove to me that no matter what, Walt can not lead NMU hockey to competitive finishes and NMU hockey need to move on and search for new coaching prospects. If they do finish in the top 5, I will happily eat crow and move on. I would love for nothing more than NMU to be competitive in the new WCHA and finish top 4 year in and year out. Whether that is with Walt or without, I don't care; I just want it to happen.
        When you compare NMU's record to the other 9 teams in the current WCHA teams over the Kyle era, NMU has the second best record, 4 wins behind Ferris over that span. Bemidji is next 19 games behind NMU playing mostly in College Hockey America and no other team is within 40 games of Kyle's record.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
          This year will be a good test of this theory; in the new WCHA, NMU will be on more equal funding with its league counter parts. If NMU can't finish in the top 5 of the new WCHA, it will prove to me that no matter what, Walt can not lead NMU hockey to competitive finishes and NMU hockey need to move on and search for new coaching prospects.
          I'm cautiously optimistic with BWK's repentant tone. I would say take your own advice and quit being so typically bombastic. Shut up and wait for the season to shake out. NMU got swept by the #3 team in the country; not that big of a deal, especially this early. I'm looking for the 'cats to be consistent. In the CCHA it seemed that NMU could take out the big dogs in the conference then drop games against lower level opponents, resulting in the annual gallantly tragic charge to win the Joe in order to get to the NCAAs approach. With Walt at the helm and a parity in resources, I expect BIG things.

Somebody uploaded the 1991 "Golden Season" season recap video on youtube. Check it out if you haven't already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWV_ZLbQcU
          NMU '10

Comment

I think you guys know that I'm from the Walt Kyle era when he played for NMU, so I'm a Kyle fan win or lose.

In the small amount of time that I've been a part of this forum, haven't we been over the pluses and minuses of Walt or no Walt? And hasn't it been decided that there is no constructive, legitimate, or reasonable alternative to Coach Kyle. Davyd has pointed out Kyle's record--to be alongside Bob Daniels career-wise that's not too bad. No ones calling for Daniels' head at FSU. Sure, NMU hasn't been to the NC finals lately, but how many teams have? NMU is almost always competitive with a few stand-out players that go on to the NHL periodically. Look who scored against the Red Wings the other night: Gustaffson! As long as NMU stays an exciting team to watch, which they usually always are, Walt and the boys are all right with me.

Home against Omaha this weekend. What should the 'Cats expect from UNO this year?
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
              Look who scored against the Red Wings the other night: Gustaffson!
              In case you missed it, and because it's the Canucks, most everyone probably has , Santorelli is having one hell of a comeback season in Vancouver. And for being a depth signing, he's been on the top line with the Sedins lately!
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Between Facebook and Twitter, the consensus was that the Marquette community isn't too happy with the ticket prices that have been set at NMU. So I just took a look at what other teams are charging this season. Here are the adult rate/child rate, student rate (if known) and any other misc information:

NMU - $16/no child, Students Free ($15 standing room)
                UA_ - 19/15, students ?, (13/10 GA)
                UAA - 18.50/13.50, students child rate (13.25/8.25 lower mezz)
                UAH - 13/13, students free,
                BSU - 25/12, students $5, (premium pricing for Minn/NoDak 40/30)
                BGSU - 15/na, students free (13 GA)
                FSU - 14/8, students 9
                LSSU - 12/6, students ?,
                MTU - 17/10, students 5
                MSU - 16/8, students ? (premium pricing for opponents)

The median pricing across the WCHA is $16 for adults, $12.50 for children.

While the gripes of a ticket increase for NMU are legit, they are smack in the middle of the pack.

Things that *could* make a difference are some additional season ticket plans. Maybe a "flex pack" where you get to pick your six games, or five games and you're forced into a sixth. Reintroduce the family pack. Couple it with concessions where you get four tickets, four hot dogs, and four soda for $xx. Work with local businesses to promote giveaways for the games (free camouflage compass to the first 500 fans sponsored by Gander Mountain, etc). Invite alumni back for a pregame autograph signing and ceremonial puck drop night (Dallas Drake, Don Waddell?)

Some of these tweaks wouldn't cost the athletic department much to achieve, and who knows, if they sell some extra tickets, they might even make a few bucks!

Here's another quick promotion... cut ticket prices by $4 for a couple games as a special promotion. Anyone with the old $16 price receives a free soda and hot dog.

I understand that books need to be balanced, and there needs to be income, but with the continued decline of attendance someone with a pretty high pay grade is still receiving a check for doing a pretty shi**y job.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Between Facebook and Twitter, the consensus was that the Marquette community isn't too happy with the ticket prices that have been set at NMU. So I just took a look at what other teams are charging this season. Here are the adult rate/child rate, student rate (if known) and any other misc information:

UA_ - 19/15, students ?, (13/10 GA)
                  UAA - 18.50/13.50, students child rate (13.25/8.25 lower mezz)
                  BSU - 25/12, students $5, (premium pricing for Minn/NoDak 40/30)
                  BGSU - 15/na, students free (13 GA)
                  FSU - 14/8, students 9
                  LSSU - 12/6, students ?,
                  MTU - 17/10, students 5
                  MSU - 16/8, students ? (premium pricing for opponents)

The median pricing across the WCHA is $16 for adults, $12.50 for children.

While the gripes of a ticket increase for NMU are legit, they are smack in the middle of the pack.

Things that *could* make a difference are some additional season ticket plans. Maybe a "flex pack" where you get to pick your six games, or five games and you're forced into a sixth. Reintroduce the family pack. Couple it with concessions where you get four tickets, four hot dogs, and four soda for $xx. Work with local businesses to promote giveaways for the games (free camouflage compass to the first 500 fans sponsored by Gander Mountain, etc). Invite alumni back for a pregame autograph signing and ceremonial puck drop night (Dallas Drake, Don Waddell?)

Some of these tweaks wouldn't cost the athletic department much to achieve, and who knows, if they sell some extra tickets, they might even make a few bucks!

Here's another quick promotion... cut ticket prices by $4 for a couple games as a special promotion. Anyone with the old $16 price receives a free soda and hot dog.

I understand that books need to be balanced, and there needs to be income, but with the continued decline of attendance someone with a pretty high pay grade is still receiving a check for doing a pretty shi**y job.
                  For the sake of filling in missing info, LSSU students pay a one time $100 dollar fee and get into all athletics for the duration of their time at LSSU

Comment

UAH is $13 downstairs, $8 upstairs, free for students.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Anyone know the status of Reed Seckel and when he might be back in action?

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Walt said he should be ready Friday against Michigan Tech.

Comment

In his Friday pregame interview, Coach Kyle said he could be ready for Tech, but it's not certain.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Great news Cat (and Husky) fans... WLUC tv6 will be airing the home and home series this October.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...4#.Ulbrccso7qB

And yet another way in which TV13 continues to s**t on the University it receives funding from.
                            Is this still a go? There hasn't been one thing said on air or anywhere. Unless they're keeping it under wraps so more tickets are sold. I just find it curious there is absolutely nothing about this on TV6 with just days to go.

Comment

Hellooooo . . . . hellooooo . . . . . hellooooo . . . . wow, it's quiet in here! The Wildcats had a good night.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                                Hellooooo . . . . hellooooo . . . . . hellooooo . . . . wow, it's quiet in here!
                                *bump*

Bye week(end) - Discuss

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                GO CATS! GO CATS! GO CATS GO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X