Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tUMD 2013-2014 Season Thread--beginning of another new era

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
    Happy to see how this team has started to come together. We have played a very tough schedule and have held up to the pressure. Hopefully they can keep up the good work and get an NCAA bid.

Good job at the NSCC, I love the sounds of gophers crying.
    They played some great hockey last weekend and are hopefully going to play this well the rest of the year (or hopefully well enough to prevent that late season slump we so often see). They have played the toughest schedule in the country and probably could have won a few more games. Was listening the Beyond the Pond this weekend and they were surprised UMD isn't better than their record (goaltending and bad defense will do that).

I'm optimistic this team can take advantage of an easier schedule (not in the 10 ten in the nation) and make a good run in the NCHC postseason and make the NCAA's. That would be a great accomplishment for this team that I didn't think could do that this year.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I was just watching the long 2011 National Champ Highlights and I had a couple of thoughts...

1. Mike Connolly. I've seen the highlight where he scores a shorty against Yale and then drills the Yale player after the goal and just stares him down. That=awesome. But today was the first time I noticed the first highlight against Union where Reiter makes a save and MC also drills a Union player into the net. Did he do that a lot? And how did he not get a penalty? Either way, both highlights typify the kind of player he is: talented, strong on the puck, and plays with an edge. He was way better than I realized at the time.

2. The FCC power play of old. Something they did a lot of the time was this: one of them would sit in front of the net, the other would be on the side, pass the puck towards the guy in front of the net and that player would fake a shot but actually let the puck go by them to the third player on the other side of the net and that third player would shoot. This play worked a lot of the time. How come we don't do that on the power play now? Are we just not as talented? I know the FCC line was the best in college hockey at the time but I wonder why we don't try that play more?

3. This year's team is really talented. They are competing better than I thought they would. When they are playing their best, and Crandall shows up, they can play with and beat almost any team in the country. See Notre Dame, Minnesota, North Dakota, St. Cloud (Friday night game) etc. Consistency is the biggest thing missing. But if Crandall keep playing well, like Reiter did in 2011, this team might be able to make the NCAA's and even do some damage there. Let's hope that happens!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugalumps View Post
        I was just watching the long 2011 National Champ Highlights and I had a couple of thoughts...

1. Mike Connolly. I've seen the highlight where he scores a shorty against Yale and then drills the Yale player after the goal and just stares him down. That=awesome. But today was the first time I noticed the first highlight against Union where Reiter makes a save and MC also drills a Union player into the net. Did he do that a lot? And how did he not get a penalty? Either way, both highlights typify the kind of player he is: talented, strong on the puck, and plays with an edge. He was way better than I realized at the time.

2. The FCC power play of old. Something they did a lot of the time was this: one of them would sit in front of the net, the other would be on the side, pass the puck towards the guy in front of the net and that player would fake a shot but actually let the puck go by them to the third player on the other side of the net and that third player would shoot. This play worked a lot of the time. How come we don't do that on the power play now? Are we just not as talented? I know the FCC line was the best in college hockey at the time but I wonder why we don't try that play more?

3. This year's team is really talented. They are competing better than I thought they would. When they are playing their best, and Crandall shows up, they can play with and beat almost any team in the country. See Notre Dame, Minnesota, North Dakota, St. Cloud (Friday night game) etc. Consistency is the biggest thing missing. But if Crandall keep playing well, like Reiter did in 2011, this team might be able to make the NCAA's and even do some damage there. Let's hope that happens!
        1. I don't recall him being overly physical like that. I do recall that our SHG's per year are down a couple because he no longer plays for us.
        2. Boy looking back on it you realize how great we had it with that line. Best line in the country as I recall.

3. Agreed on all counts. This run is great but will it hold up? Have they found their stride and are they going to play as a team? This weekend will help tell us...must SWEEP.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          They played some great hockey last weekend and are hopefully going to play this well the rest of the year (or hopefully well enough to prevent that late season slump we so often see). They have played the toughest schedule in the country and probably could have won a few more games. Was listening the Beyond the Pond this weekend and they were surprised UMD isn't better than their record (goaltending and bad defense will do that).

I'm optimistic this team can take advantage of an easier schedule (not in the 10 ten in the nation) and make a good run in the NCHC postseason and make the NCAA's. That would be a great accomplishment for this team that I didn't think could do that this year.
          I'm hopeful the team doesn't go into a slump since the remaining schedule is quite favorable.

I have to admit, I've been gone from posting for quite a while due to life happening...but have always looked for the box scores each weekend. Very excited that the team seems to be clicking and hope to get up to Duluth before the regular season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by burbstyle View Post
            I'm hopeful the team doesn't go into a slump since the remaining schedule is quite favorable.
            I was too.

It's over.
            tUMD Hockey

Comment

RPI hockey blog Without a Peer preview of tUMD http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/...ta-duluth.html.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to WaP except as a reader.

I also apologize if there is a Duluth off-season thread. I couldn't find one.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                RPI hockey blog Without a Peer preview of tUMD http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/...ta-duluth.html.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to WaP except as a reader.

I also apologize if there is a Duluth off-season thread. I couldn't find one.
                Great write up. We don't have an offseason thread because there are few UMD posters, and fewer who post everyday.

I hope we play RPI because despite the 1985 Frozen Four, I have a soft spot for them.
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                X