Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    As for Hellebuyck, I think he's really good, I just think his numbers are a bit inflated by the way Lowell plays and that Gillies is better. Bazin's system turned Carr into a stud in 2012 and I think he's a pretty average goalie.
    good point

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      PC also has all their freshmen a year older who should score more goals and the young defensemen will be even better. Losing Harvey is a blessing, Schaller is a loss an Kyle Murphy is a loss in the leadership position but gave them zero offense last year.
      Carrying over leadership is very limited. PC is not at a distinct disadvantage here most of the guys who had letters on their jersey last year across the league are gone. In fact since Providence had such a small senior class, Leaman went out of his way during the last part of the season to talk about how the underclassmen stepped up and took a leadership role.

As other's have noted there is offensive potential in the Providence lineup. You could see the improvement as the season wound down of guys like Jankowski, Saracino, Gilmour and Parisi. Taking Zlax's listing of losses, Providence returns 10 of their top 12 with a couple more players who saw enough ice time to have gained valuable experience. Further one of their forward's coming in comes in with more experience than Murphy took into his senior year. By year end the 2 senior dmen were #5 and 6 on the depth chart with Harvey being benched several times late in games. You can throw out the stat about PC winning a lot of close games. They also lost 8 1 goal games, and had several games in midseason where the learning curve still had not been conquered where they blew leads. I would venture as a more veteran club they are not going to make these same mistakes. Their experience level last year seems to equate pretty neatly to what UML had for experience in 12-13, and this year at least in that department they might be more comparable to last year's UML team.

As far as Gillies goes. The four goalies you pick I think you are cherry picking and as someone said you can make stats what you want. Milner does not fit on the list with the other 3 or Gillies, he was Muse's backup, when and whom he played would have a marked affect on his results. Milan and Muse both saw their sophomore teams score 50 less goals also how did the fact their team's were not as dominate offensively play into the results (you can't score when you don't control the puck.). Lastly Cannata's slump is not that blatant. His freshman Merrimack team was totally offensively challenged as Dennehy improved the team I suspect he opened the game up (I can't really say I don't follow them closely), they gave up significantly more shots that year a trade off to improve offensive and count on your last line of defense to steal more goals than you add to your total. I think at this point PC is beyond that point of trading for offense and praying for steals of goals by Gillies. That would fit what Leaman counted on Beaudry to do his first year, last year you could clearly see his defense began to play within a system and with experience should be stronger this year.
      Last edited by cavbim; 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM.
      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        I want UVM to be better so we can have JCarter around more like we did when the green cats were actually relevant . It's way more fun. Anyway, the only difference between Gilles and those other four you mentioned JCarter is that he is light years better than all of them
        I wouldn't say Gilles is "lightyears" ahead of Cannatta. He was pretty fricking good. The rest of the list, sure.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          I wouldn't say Gilles is "lightyears" ahead of Cannatta. He was pretty fricking good. The rest of the list, sure.

I would have to say, in retrospect, that you are right

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
            Milan and Muse both saw their sophomore teams score 50 less goals also how did the fact their team's were not as dominate offensively play into the results (you can't score when you don't control the puck.).
            Not to mention Muse played that season on a torn hip

Comment

There are plenty of goalies with slumps come that second season. You guys can make excuses for the 4 that I listed, you can accept it, or you can spend some time looking through the fauqing stats for yourself. I don't really care.

I'll book mark this thread so at the end of the season when PC fails to meet the heaps of expectations piled on the team (see UML from 3-4 years ago) I can gloat.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

I'll book mark this thread so at the end of the season when PC fails to meet the heaps of expectations piled on the team (see UML from 3-4 years ago) I can gloat.
                I appreciate your honesty.

This is going to be a fun thread to go back to either way.
                Last edited by Jon; 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

There are plenty of goalies with slumps come that second season. You guys can make excuses for the 4 that I listed, you can accept it, or you can spend some time looking through the fauqing stats for yourself. I don't really care.

it's a debate jcarter, don't be bitter

Comment

Sure, but it doesn't mean every goalie slumps in their second season. Gilles is a pretty unique talent. I'm going to bet he'll be ok.

What I can say about the end of the season gloating - Vermont will be last. Your squad is hot garbage. My condolences.
                    Lowell Forever
                    Forever Lowell

Comment

it's a debate jcarter, don't be bitter
                      I take it you're unfamiliar with his handiwork?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

can we please stop licking pc lollipops!?!?!? they suck. they've always sucked. chris terreri is NOT walking through that door!!!!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                          I take it you're unfamiliar with his handiwork?
                          nah, I get his schtick but we need him to stir the pot like he did when UVM actually had a good team, seeing that there's virtually no hokydad around anymore.

Comment

nah, I get his schtick but we need him to stir the pot like he did when UVM actually had a good team, seeing that there's virtually no hokydad around anymore.
                            don't worry we have ~6 weeks till we have to deal with the minnesota fans...

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post

What I can say about the end of the season gloating - Vermont will be last. Your squad is hot garbage. My condolences.
                              I'll take that bet...

We can't be worse the Northeastern...
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

UVM was good? When did this happen?

Good at elephant walking maybe.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X