Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey East Summer Predictions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

    Anyways,

    you guys keep hyping up PC. It will make it that much better when they finish 7th.... right behind UVM
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

    Comment


    • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

      I see UVM finishing ahead of UMass and Northeastern...Outside of that, not sure...
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

      Comment


      • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

        Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        Anyway, the only difference between Gilles and those other four you mentioned JCarter is that he is light years better than all of them
        This. He's as good as any goalie in Hockey East the last 10 years. Including the guy in my screen name. (Obligatory Northeastern anger toward Chris Rawlings and Jim Madigan for him not being a Husky)
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS


        MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

        Comment


        • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

          I'm hoping jcarter's predictions gain some momentum. I hate it when people think PC is going to be good. Makes me nervous.

          "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

          2008 POTY

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            Saw him play at Winthrop and he was an absolute beast. Just a guess obviously, but I figure he'll get more of a chance to be a top-6 forward right away then some of the other drafted in-coming freshmen.
            Every D1 player is a beast in high school. If they even play high school at this point. No chance LeBlanc wins ROTY. I'd guess Kelleher at UNH. MVP is probably Gaudreau and best goalie is Hellebucyk.

            Comment


            • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

              Considering the effort that Northeastern put in to recruiting and hanging on to Mike Szmatula, I'd like to think he'll contribute enough to at least be considered for the ROTY. Perhaps we can have a 20 and over category and one for the teenagers like Kelleher and the typical BC/bu recruit.

              Prediction from out of left field (or the hockey equivalent): NU will discover that they have at least two and possibly three D1 goalies on their roster. The coaches will figure out who they are, and the team will fail to finish last. or 10th!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                Considering the effort that Northeastern put in to recruiting and hanging on to Mike Szmatula, I'd like to think he'll contribute enough to at least be considered for the ROTY. Perhaps we can have a 20 and over category and one for the teenagers like Kelleher and the typical BC/bu recruit.

                Prediction from out of left field (or the hockey equivalent): NU will discover that they have at least two and possibly three D1 goalies on their roster. The coaches will figure out who they are, and the team will fail to finish last. or 10th!
                Lets assume for a minute Jim Madigan doesn't want to get fired and has at least some knowledge of the game of hockey from years of playing, scouting and coaching the game. Why on Earth would he continue to go with Rawlings if Roy or Mountain were more capable D1 goalies?

                I think NU will be decent to good offensively, but I'd be concerned about the blue line and goaltending if I'm a NU fan.

                Second to last weekend against Maine, Rawlings lets in an awfully soft goal and Madigan used expletive in postseason press conference...he brings him back next night and has to pull him halfway through game.
                Last edited by CollegeHockeyRinkReport; 08-19-2013, 11:28 PM.
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  Lets assume for a minute Jim Madigan doesn't want to get fired and has at least some knowledge of the game of hockey from years of playing, scouting and coaching the game. Why on Earth would he continue to go with Rawlings if Roy or Mountain were more capable D1 goalies?

                  I think NU will be decent to good offensively, but I'd be concerned about the blue line and goaltending if I'm a NU fan.
                  The most popular player on a struggling hockey team is the backup goalie... And it's the backup qb in football.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                    Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    That means he will have an even more epic slump ???
                    I just don't think it's gonna happen. This kid's the real deal

                    Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                    He's as good as any goalie in Hockey East the last 10 years.
                    yup, since Jimmy Howard
                    *****

                    Comment


                    • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                      Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                      He's as good as any goalie in Hockey East the last 10 years. Including the guy in my screen name.

                      Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      yup, since Jimmy Howard
                      Hellofabuick 24 gp 20-3-0 0.833 win % 1.37GAA 0.952 S%

                      Gilles 35 gp 17-12-6 0.486 win % 2.08 GAA 0.931 S%

                      He isn't even the best goalie in the past year let alone the past 10...

                      He's good but lets not get carried away here. Especially with the goalies that have played in HE over the last decade. Schneider, Fallon, Tiffany-Amber, Carter Hutton, Quick... I got a crisp dollar bill that says his career stats do not show him as the best goalie in hockey east in the past 10 years. He will not have the best win %, he will not end with the best save% and he will not end with the best GAA. Or any combination there of...
                      Last edited by jcarter7669; 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM.
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

                      Comment


                      • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                        Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Tiffany-Amber
                        well done

                        Comment


                        • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                          Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          Hellofabuick 24 gp 20-3-0 0.833 win % 1.37GAA 0.952 S%

                          Gilles 35 gp 17-12-6 0.486 win % 2.08 GAA 0.931 S%

                          He isn't even the best goalie in the past year let alone the past 10...

                          He's good but lets not get carried away here. Especially with the goalies that have played in HE over the last decade. Schneider, Fallon, Tiffany-Amber, Carter Hutton, Quick... I got a crisp dollar bill that says his career stats do show him as the best goalie in hockey east in the past 10 years. He will not have the best win %, he will not end with the best save% and he will not end with the best GAA. Or any combination there of...
                          “Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

                          Comment


                          • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                            Last 10 years for goalies I'd put Howard and Schneider as 1A and 1B. Quick is top on the next level, he was clearly very good but didn't turn in the college career of the previous two, probably because umass was (and still is) dreadful. Gillies can't really even be remotely mentioned with them YET.

                            jcarter does make an interesting point comparing Gillies and Hellebuyck.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                              Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                              Lets assume for a minute Jim Madigan doesn't want to get fired and has at least some knowledge of the game of hockey from years of playing, scouting and coaching the game. Why on Earth would he continue to go with Rawlings if Roy or Mountain were more capable D1 goalies?

                              I think NU will be decent to good offensively, but I'd be concerned about the blue line and goaltending if I'm a NU fan.

                              Second to last weekend against Maine, Rawlings lets in an awfully soft goal and Madigan used expletive in postseason press conference...he brings him back next night and has to pull him halfway through game.
                              Fair question. I think that by the time Madigan realized that Rawlings was a lost cause, the season was virtually over. The decisions had been made to red shirt Witt and Roy and Mountain wasn't much of an improvement (although he did stay awake during games). Jimmy was left with the hope that the streaky Rawlings would have one of his "played out of his mind" games - which was wishful hoping. At the D was giving up too many "Grade A" opportunities - more than any goalie should have to face. A lot of time and effort has gone in to improving this part of their game. We shall see.

                              As for those soft goals: It was demoralizing for the team when they would occur. They simply couldn't bounce back consistently so those goals were often the turning point in the game. Rawlings not only cost us not only games and team morale, he cost us Gillies!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Hockey East Summer Predictions

                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Gillies can't really even be remotely mentioned with them YET.
                                That's fair. He needs to do it for more than one year. My comment was based more on the eye-test than anything. It's very rare to see a goalie of that size move that well and a HE freshman to be one of the best positional goalies in the league right from the start. He was PC's best player the moment he stepped on campus and I think is a legit Hobey candidate this year.

                                As for Hellebuyck, I think he's really good, I just think his numbers are a bit inflated by the way Lowell plays and that Gillies is better. Bazin's system turned Carr into a stud in 2012 and I think he's a pretty average goalie.
                                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS


                                MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X