• Show
Clear All

Re: Who is the competition?

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
    Any of those nachos left?
    I ate the last one.

Comment

*****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw2326-Derpy_and_Rainbow_Abandon_Thread.gif******
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

OK. You shamed me into it, and I looked it up. The last three early departures from the Dutchmen went on to play for the Albany Devils, the Charlotte Checkers, and the Penticton Vees.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          Been stated where? [why not here?] This college hockey topic, like all others, has been previously discussed on this site. So what? I suspect many of the opinions and many of the arguments expressed about early departures have considered only the information about early signing contracts and player destinations provided by this site: in a word, ZILCH. My purpose in starting this thread is to encourage USCHO editors to include and USCHO patrons to request more facts about early departures opposed to offering more opinions from coaches and fans. Why? So site users can form more reasoned conclusions about a phenomenon which dismays a significant number of college hockey fans. Those who prefer pleasant dining experiences over facts, nosh on.
          So your purpose was to rag on USCHO. A site with limited staff. A site with a staff that puts the work in as a labor of love and not as a career. A site that provides all of us a fantastic destination for college hockey info, news and discussion. Got it.
          I don't pretend to know the thought process that goes into every decision made by USCHO and its writers, but there are a number of reasons as to why the exact details of the contract aren't included in the article. Maybe the details weren't disclosed at the time it was written. Maybe it's the offseason and they only have 2 or 3 people actively contributing and those 2 or 3 people are doing so on the side of their paying career. Maybe they figured if someone wanted to know the exact details of the contract that person could find it quite easily. Maybe they assume their readership has a base level of knowledge.

I also suppose USCHO could have opined as to the exact reason why each player has left eligibility on the table. That doesn't seem to jive with the identity USCHO has carved out for itself though. But really, the overwhelming majority of early signings are pretty straight forward. A 19-23 year old kid gets offered a minimum salary much higher than the average American (and higher than the average college grad right out of school) for becoming a professional in a sport they have always dreamed of being a pro in. What more is there to say?

Most the people who have intelligently engaged in conversation about early departures have taken the time to learn about the contracts and playing opportunities presented to players signing out of college. If you are curious about a particular player's contract, I'd suggest taking the 90 seconds the rest of us take to find the information. If you spend 90 seconds and can't find it, I'd highly recommend investing 10 minutes a day into the pursuit of learning how to navigate and search out information on the internet. It's a valuable skill to have.

Comment

Oh, I forgot. You referred to early departures as a phenomenon. It's not. In the early 2000's that might have been apt, but presently early departures are simply business as usual. I say again, welcome to division 1 college hockey.

Comment

OK. You shamed me into it, and I looked it up. 3
              That underscores the point: you not interested in learning the answers, only asking questions that you feel will make you look brighter than you are. And it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Oh, I forgot. You referred to early departures as a phenomenon. It's not. In the early 2000's that might have been apt, but presently early departures are simply business as usual. I say again, welcome to division 1 college hockey.
                Not picking on you in particular, Stauber1, but I notice that you joined this board in 2005, so I'm going to guess there's a possibility that you started following college hockey closely around that time. There is a human tendency to assume that a trend "started" at the time that one first becomes aware of it, so from your perception, the early departures "phenomenon" appears to have started at that time. It's actually been going on far longer than that. Nieuwendyk left Cornell after 3 years in 1989, and I'm sure there are plenty of even earlier examples.

Now, if someone actually cared about this issue, one might be motivated to actually put together some statistics to determine if the trend really is increasing or not, and if so, try to correlate that trend with other events which might be related to that trend (new CBAs, etc). My guess is that there's nobody on this board who really cares about this issue, though. Plenty who like to whine and complain a lot, though.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Not picking on you in particular, Stauber1, but I notice that you joined this board in 2005, so I'm going to guess there's a possibility that you started following college hockey closely around that time. There is a human tendency to assume that a trend "started" at the time that one first becomes aware of it, so from your perception, the early departures "phenomenon" appears to have started at that time. It's actually been going on far longer than that. Nieuwendyk left Cornell after 3 years in 1989, and I'm sure there are plenty of even earlier examples.

Now, if someone actually cared about this issue, one might be motivated to actually put together some statistics to determine if the trend really is increasing or not, and if so, try to correlate that trend with other events which might be related to that trend (new CBAs, etc). My guess is that there's nobody on this board who really cares about this issue, though. Plenty who like to whine and complain a lot, though.
                  Look at my user name, take note of some of the stand-out players at MN, and that will give you an idea about when I started following college hockey

Of course there were early departures before the early 2000's. But they were much fewer and further between than what we started seeing in this millennium. There were a number of factors that started making early departures more prevalent in the early 2000's (number of quality American born players, spread of youth hockey to regions not traditionally known for hockey, decreased bias from NHL bosses toward the NCAA game, more college players being drafted and in higher rounds) and as others have alluded, when the current CBA went into effect it made it even more desirable for NHL clubs to offer contracts and for NCAA players to accept them.

Maybe this is the discussion Osorojo was pining for all along...it only took 2 full pages to flesh it out.

Comment

"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Oddly enough, most of the questions you want answers to are found in the NHL's CBA. For example:
                      If a college player is announced as having signed with an NHL club, they have signed an entry level contract which is ALWAYS a two way contract and those players will play with the NHL club or with an affiliated AHL club based on an evaluation by the NHL staff.

The maximum and minimum payments, signing bonus, and many other matters are also included in the CBA under entry level contracts.
                      Wait, you expect Oso to actually know what he's talking about?
                      This guy is complete non-entity, and has absolutely no ****ing clue what he is talking about.

Any Osorojo started thread should be focused on Nachos, they deserve nothing else.

Has anyone heard when the new NCAA Hockey Video game is coming out?
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I am not speaking on behalf of USCHO, but my opinion is once a player is gone, they are gone. The main emphasis for USCHO looks to be how that affects their college hockey team and not the pro team they signed with. If contract information is made available, it is included. If not, I would assume that resources are not spent tracking it down as opposed to, you know, covering college hockey. You do often see mentions of a former player making the NHL team, but that is usually tracked by league correspondents and not the news wing of USCHO. I know I include any NHL deals in my AHA column because they are rare.
                        Last edited by Chris Lerch; 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Wait, you expect Oso to actually know what he's talking about?
                          This guy is complete non-entity, and has absolutely no ****ing clue what he is talking about.

Any Osorojo started thread should be focused on Nachos, they deserve nothing else.

Has anyone heard when the new NCAA Hockey Video game is coming out?
                          Assuming you are correct: this thread is nonsense and I am a non-entity, how do you explain your motive for your long-after-the-fact avid reply? No matter. You join a long list of volunteer crusaders to define the "proper" topics to discuss about college hockey. e.g. - "Which back-up goalie will have the best won-lost record in 2013-14?"

Comment

Assuming you are correct: this thread is nonsense and I am a non-entity, how do you explain your motive for your long-after-the-fact avid reply? No matter. You join a long list of volunteer crusaders to define the "proper" topics to discuss about college hockey. e.g. - "Which back-up goalie will have the best won-lost record in 2013-14?"
                            I don't regularly check the D1 boards, because it tends to attract most idiotic of all posters, of which you're example 1a or 1b.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              What about ponies?
                              *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9280-1355678759230.gif******
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                What about ponies?
                                *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9280-1355678759230.gif******
                                Ponies are a perfect fit for any osorojo thread.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X