UVM Offseason Thread- Summer 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM Offseason Thread- Summer 2013

Jim was moved to forward due to a string of injuries at UND... This gave him the chance to a) get much more ice time than he normally would have at UND's program and b) prove to himself that he could be a versatile, everyday player at the D1 level. Again, with the talent coming in this year and next at UND he must have known that his time on the ice was going to be severely cut down. I'm sure this didn't sit too well with him and I don't blame him for moving on. I forget if he is able to practice with the team or not this year but fully expect Senkbeil to be able to contribute to Vermont's program from day one next year.

Comment

Maybe Dan transferred because all the Nodaks called him Jim.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
        Jim was moved to forward due to a string of injuries at UND... This gave him the chance to a) get much more ice time than he normally would have at UND's program and b) prove to himself that he could be a versatile, everyday player at the D1 level. Again, with the talent coming in this year and next at UND he must have known that his time on the ice was going to be severely cut down. I'm sure this didn't sit too well with him and I don't blame him for moving on. I forget if he is able to practice with the team or not this year but fully expect Senkbeil to be able to contribute to Vermont's program from day one next year.

Anybody can contribute at UVM right now...we will take anyone that can stand up and shoot because they might be able to score.

Comment

Incoming recruit Brad Ryan has elected not to attend the University of Vermont.

Comment

Crazy, school year is 3 days old and we've already lost a player. Ok, ok so he never even actually came.

I think that as a program we are struggling to recruit the right people for the coaching staff, or we have the wrong coaching staff for the players... but really the number of players that don't come/leave early is kind of surprising... For this year so far we have 1 kid who renegged and 4 players who are not returning...

One has to wonder if it's the athletes or the coaches... if it's the athletes then we need someone who is a better judge of character on the recruiting trail. Otherwise its time for the coaches to change whatever it is that's the problem.

Some of it's playing time... but why are they leaving?? Are players being promised playing time that doesn't materialize....

Seems like the "culture" of the program is the first thing that needs to change. It's a much different team from Sneddon's first few years...

We need more Dean Strong's type players, I hope the increase in roster numbers is to really make players compete for ice time and not a way to offset the early departures that are expected
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              Crazy, school year is 3 days old and we've already lost a player. Ok, ok so he never even actually came.

I think that as a program we are struggling to recruit the right people for the coaching staff, or we have the wrong coaching staff for the players... but really the number of players that don't come/leave early is kind of surprising... For this year so far we have 1 kid who renegged and 4 players who are not returning...

One has to wonder if it's the athletes or the coaches... if it's the athletes then we need someone who is a better judge of character on the recruiting trail. Otherwise its time for the coaches to change whatever it is that's the problem.

Some of it's playing time... but why are they leaving?? Are players being promised playing time that doesn't materialize....

Seems like the "culture" of the program is the first thing that needs to change. It's a much different team from Sneddon's first few years...

We need more Dean Strong's type players, I hope the increase in roster numbers is to really make players compete for ice time and not a way to offset the early departures that are expected
              Wow.What is going on that a kid has that shallow of a commitment prior to arriving. That is a sign of poor recruiting homework. Now losing Doerring is more of an issue as we are back to 7 D regardless of what his injury status was.

Comment

players leave theit schools for all types of reasons,but mainly lack of ice time or better incoming freshman that will affect ice time.the four players that didn't return this year had a slim chance of even making the roster this year.i think uvm is going in the right direction by upgrading their roster and foster competition for all the players.should be an interesting season!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dwb View Post
                  players leave theit schools for all types of reasons,but mainly lack of ice time or better incoming freshman that will affect ice time.the four players that didn't return this year had a slim chance of even making the roster this year.i think uvm is going in the right direction by upgrading their roster and foster competition for all the players.should be an interesting season!!!
                  That is probably the case, my issue stems with why? Were they promised ice time that never came... Did the coaching staff recruit them because they thought they would develop more then they did? There has been a lot of players leaving the past few seasons for all kinds of reasons... an abnormal amount in my opinion.

No matter what the reason is it has to have an impact on the "compete level" and mentality of the team. Clearly a significant portion of players are not happy with the program for whatever reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by dwb View Post
                    The kids that are leaving are not the problem they are all good players and will all find success elsewhere. My question is: When did we upgrade our roster? We won 2 more games last year and that was purely goaltending. Spinning the wheel as hard as Sneddon has always resulted in spokes getting broken and someone falling off, I don't think this will be any different and so far with the news on RYAN it looks to be the case. I think its way to early to tell if we have "upgraded" the roster. If we rip of a large wining streak this year, I will eat crow. There is just as good of chance we have "downgraded" the roster.

Comment

• Re: UVM Offseason Thread- Summer 2013

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                      The kids that are leaving are not the problem they are all good players and will all find success elsewhere. My question is: When did we upgrade our roster? We won 2 more games last year and that was purely goaltending. Spinning the wheel as hard as Sneddon has always resulted in spokes getting broken and someone falling off, I don't think this will be any different and so far with the news on RYAN it looks to be the case. I think its way to early to tell if we have "upgraded" the roster. If we rip of a large wining streak this year, I will eat crow. There is just as good of chance we have "downgraded" the roster.
                      I do think it's an upgraded roster for sure... in my opinion at least it's up to whether these kids play together as a team and the on ice effort being put forth. That said, I'm a huge proponent of Hoffman and Santaguida at the very least having split tending duties until one can lay claim. Not giving Faust a chance was no good for Faust or anyone else...Hoffman had virtually no competition in goal, nor could he get a rest... Santaguida's numbers are impressive considering the offensive numbers that get put up in that league. And having a guy that can actually push Hoffman is an upgrade right there

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        I do think it's an upgraded roster for sure... in my opinion at least it's up to whether these kids play together as a team and the on ice effort being put forth. That said, I'm a huge proponent of Hoffman and Santaguida at the very least having split tending duties until one can lay claim. Not giving Faust a chance was no good for Faust or anyone else...Hoffman had virtually no competition in goal, nor could he get a rest... Santaguida's numbers are impressive considering the offensive numbers that get put up in that league. And having a guy that can actually push Hoffman is an upgrade right there

Fair enough.

Comment

I'm not losing sleep over the players that have left, none of them would have been difference makers this season. IMO was much worse losing Stalberg and Girgensens. Ryan's decommit is a hit depthwise and his size was intriguing, but Muscoby and Hamilton are better prospects. Wouldn't surprise to see a walkon added on the blueline. Also have to remember that, other than Sneddon, this is essentially a brand new coaching staff so some players probably saw the handwriting on the wall.. though I do agree it doesn't say much about the previous recruiting.

This year's incoming is definitely an upgrade talent-wise, though remains to be seen if that will equate to better results on the ice. Hopefully they aren't all headcases like Milo..

Comment

uvm addedanother defenseman during the season last year,charlie wemyss, who is on the roster for this upcoming season.

Comment

We have to remember that 5 on 5 last year Vermont was not that bad only -7 in goals while the PP/SH was what
                              killed them as they were -21. Seems like playing as a team wasnt as big of problem as lack of talent to finish plays.
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                                Seems like playing as a team wasnt as big of problem as lack of talent to finish plays.
                                Have to remember, McCarthy's line accounted for 40+% of the goals and was combined +11, so the other 3 lines played at -18. So playing like a team is more of a one line playing like a line should and the other lines not cutting it Polessello .....-16??? The rest of the lines weren't overly productive.I don't see a lack of talent as an issue at all, there are plenty of finishers, they are just confused as to what the hell is going on... with the exception of McCarthy. Reynolds is a finisher, Fallon should be but he spends to much time being the set up guy. Brickely should be but he is more intent on trying to take someone's head off. White could be if given a chance...

The strategy is the issue... the roles the players are playing are the problem... and the team leadership is an issue as well,

Comment

Working...
                                X