Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    ?? It is a crap shoot anytime a player is recruited. It isn't like Rec sports where everyone has the promise to play. (not said in a snarky way) Depending on the chemistry (or lack of it) the system shifts and players get left out even after they get to the school. I would respect that he is aware he wouldn't play, or would have a minor role and decided to go somewhere else to play.

The commit at a very young age or commit for 2-3 yrs down the line has changed the landscape of the recruiting environment. How can you promise something 2 or even 4 yrs down the road. There are kids committing before they are even fully through puberty. If they keep developing then great but what if they plateau? Coaching staff changes. The make up of the team, even when they are recruited to fill certain roles, may change as things develop over time. Players and their sometimes overly ambitious parents try to make an educated guess to maximize the benefits for themselves just like the coaches do.
    I agree, early recruiting doesn't help anyone. I'd love to see the NCAA put in rules to change that, but they are too busy rolling around in the cash from the hoops and football television contracts.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      So do the Hawks bring in a couple more forwards for next season? If my count is right, with the current recruits and if everyone comes back, I have the roster currently at 27 (15 F,9 D, 3 G). The past few seasons they have at least started the season with 17 forwards.
      Here's how I had it as of a while back.

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Haven’t done this in a while, and really should set up a new thread since we’re two years past what this thread was for, but I’m being lazy today.

16/17 Roster
      Defense (9):
      Senior: Michael Kapla, Dylan Zink
      Juniors: Chris Forney, Tyler Mueller, Tommy Panico
      Sophomores: Avni Berisha, Niklas Folin, Jacob Townsend
      Freshman: Mattias Goransson

Forwards (15):
      Seniors: Evan Campbell, Joe Gambardella
      Juniors: Ryan Collins, John Edwardh, Gage Hough, Jake Kamrass, Mike Louria, CJ Smith
      Sophomores: Ryan Dmowski, Nick Master, Connor Wilson
      Freshmen: Guillaume LeClerc, Ryan Lohin, Colin O’Neill, James Winkler

Goalies (3):
      Sophomores: Sean Cleary, Chris Hernberg
      Freshman: Garrett Metcalf

This leaves us at 27 on the roster (28 currently for the 15/16 season), with the class breakdown for 2016/2017 being:
      Seniors: 4
      Juniors: 9
      Sophomores: 8
      Freshmen: 6

Looking ahead a couple of years:

17/18 roster

Defense (9):
      Senior: Chris Forney, Tyler Mueller, Tommy Panico
      Juniors: Avni Berisha, Niklas Folin, Jacob Townsend
      Sophomore: Mattias Goransson
      Freshmen: Cale List, Trevor Zins

Forwards (13):
      Seniors: Ryan Collins, John Edwardh, Gage Hough, Jake Kamrass, Mike Louria, CJ Smith
      Juniors: Ryan Dmowski, Nick Master, Connor Wilson
      Sophomores: Guillaume LeClerc, Ryan Lohin, Colin O’Neill, James Winkler
      Freshmen:

Goalies (3):
      Juniors: Sean Cleary, Chris Hernberg
      Sophomore: Garrett Metcalf

This leaves us at 25 on the, with the class breakdown for 2017/2018 being:
      Seniors: 9
      Juniors: 8
      Sophomores: 6
      Freshmen: 2
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Ex-Lowell player Jeff Smith has committed to SCSU.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Ex-Lowell player Jeff Smith has committed to SCSU.
          Good luck to him. It looks like he's having a decent season, currently fourth in the BCHL.

http://bchl.ca/goalie-stats

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            Sifferlen officially no longer committed to UMass Lowell. Wish him nothing but best. He'll make a very good d3 or Atlantic player.
            Eagle Tribune article on Sifferlen.
            http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/s...001e48a9b.html

Comment

Maine adds their third 2018 commitment in the last 3 weeks. We have only two ... for 2017.
              Monty

Comment

Maine adds their third 2018 commitment in the last 3 weeks. We have only two ... for 2017.
                Here's the total number of recruits currently listed on the Heisenberg site for each Hockey East school.

UVM - 24
                NU - 23
                Maine - 22
                ND - 21
                PC - 21
                BC - 20
                BU - 19
                UMA - 15
                UNH - 14
                MC - 13
                UConn - 11
                UML - 8

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=449700034

Comment

Is there any chance commitments are coming and the players are just not reporting them to their junior teams? I am pulling at straws here, that number is frightening..
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                    Is there any chance commitments are coming and the players are just not reporting them to their junior teams? I am pulling at straws here, that number is frightening..
                    Welcome to the world of UML recruiting. Drives us nuts but you can't argue with five straight 20 win seasons. One would think that during this stretch we'd be picking up a few more, drawn to the program's success, but Bazin plays his system and only certain types of players fit it. Just my opinion.
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

well, supposedly that's been Norm's thing... supposedly... I honestly dont get it... I really really don't get it
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        well, supposedly that's been Norm's thing... supposedly... I honestly dont get it... I really really don't get it
                        It just seems weird, because every player and junior team is going to want to release they got a new recruit. Especially if they are the undiscovered gems which I guess is the idea of what we are getting
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015
                        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

I would doubt it. That's not generally how this is done. Unlike the new freshman goalie we picked up really late last year, we've known about all the other commits for a while.
                          Monty

Comment

UNH adds another recruit (15), defenseman Anthony Wyse. Wyse was originally committed to Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              UNH adds another recruit (15), defenseman Anthony Wyse. Wyse was originally committed to Dartmouth.
                              NU added a '98 yesterday.
                              Monty

Comment

I would doubt it. That's not generally how this is done. Unlike the new freshman goalie we picked up really late last year, we've known about all the other commits for a while.
                                other theory, players don't exist until Norm creates them into existence... just a theory
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X