UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Grogan won Feb 11 vs providence, I know non conference. Grogan hasn't been bad at all. Minus the army game he hasn't allowed more than two goals, you should win a game when you only allow two goals, but for whatever reason they aren't winning for him. You pretty much have to go with Nichols now, but it's just kind of weird the way it's happened. He had given them a chance to win every night.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
      Because they have such a long history of getting there, right? Have they ever been?

For a team with marginal D1 skill, they have worked their tails off this year and have been fun to watch. Of course I want to see a long playoff run, but I also want to reward their hard work and resiliency. As a fan, that's what we ask.
      One more point on this. We aren't the ones who started talk about UConn getting to the tournament...that originated with one Mike Cavanaugh. He said that was the goal in October and has repeated it many times since. That UConn fans have bought into the head coach's vision is usually not a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pucks711 View Post
        Grogan won Feb 11 vs providence
        Good catch. A very high quality win it was too.

Comment

My main point to all of this is they are not that talented. They are winning because they are playing hard; and the fact that they are doing it for the new coach is a great sign for the future. Based on Coach Cav's recruiting track record and eye for talent, the talent will improve.

This year they have put themselves in position to compete for a league championship. They have as good a shot as any. As the league has proven, it won't be easy, but UConn is right there as a legit contender. As a fan, that's what I am excited about.

I guess the one silver lining of the win one lose one trend is that they should prevail in a 3 game series!

Comment

My main point to all of this is they are not that talented. They are winning because they are playing hard; and the fact that they are doing it for the new coach is a great sign for the future. Based on Coach Cav's recruiting track record and eye for talent, the talent will improve.

This year they have put themselves in position to compete for a league championship. They have as good a shot as any. As the league has proven, it won't be easy, but UConn is right there as a legit contender. As a fan, that's what I am excited about.

I guess the one silver lining of the win one lose one trend is that they should prevail in a 3 game series!
            My view is that they are A. more talented than they have been over the years, if only because they have a couple of freshmen who would never have played at UConn in the past; B. They have the 2 things that you need to be a true threat,; good goaltending, and a scorer. Latta, in my view is good enough to play for lots of teams. I agree that they aren't as deep as some teams, even some AHA teams, but they are deeper than they have historically been. I agree that they are one of maybe 5 teams who could win it all. And they need to play hard to win.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
              Good catch. A very high quality win it was too.
              It almost seems if Matt Grogan may have a nagging injury or something like that. Not enough to keep him out, but maybe enough that he doesn't quite have his usual edge. If that is indeed the case, this extra week off came at a very good time.

Comment

Could be a nagging injury of some sorts. Outside of the army game it's not like he lost any of the games. Let in two vs holy cross and sacred heart. Have to win those games for your goalie, but for whatever reason they aren't scoring for him. Hopefully if he is hurt he and anyone else that might be banged up is getting the chance to heal up for the playoff run. It's amazing what an advantage this bye week could be. Have to think they will get RMU, but army could very well physically beat them to a pulp if not beat them all together.

Comment

Friday night cannot get here fast enough. Hopefully they're rested up, healed up, and chomping at the bit to get their hands on RMU again. Hoping they close the Freitas down in dominate fashion!

Comment

From the Yale AD
                    The first Liberty Invitational this season at the Prudential Center included Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth and Yale. Hockey East teams will join the Tigers and Bulldogs over the next three seasons.
                    2014: Princeton, Yale, UConn, Merrimack
                    2015: Princeton, Yale, Maine, UMass
                    2016: Princeton, Yale, Lowell, Vermont
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

I'd like to see UConn get out fast tonight. Nichols will be in the net.

Comment

Only AHA top seed not to hold serve opening night.

Not much to write. Single elimination from this point forward.

Comment

Only AHA top seed not to hold serve opening night.

Not much to write. Single elimination from this point forward.
                          Illustrates the importance of that second game against SHU. They had plenty of opportunities to avoid RMU.

Comment

No sense worrying about the past. If there is one thing this team has been all year it's resilient like Coach Cav said. Win, only thing that can be in their minds tonight. Doesn't matter how, doesn't matter if it's a pretty goal, and it doesn't matter who scores it. Win as a team.

Comment

Disappointing ending to a fun to watch season. Congratulations to a great senior class who accomplished a lot in their time in Storrs. Looks like it is time to officially put our eyes on Hockey East.

Comment

This Bentley fan enjoyed having you in our conference. Good luck next season and beyond. Frankly, I think it could be a tough transition for your squad, but I'm sure it will be a great move both for UConn and HE in the long run.

Looking forward to having another HE squad to beat up on.
                                :-P
                                Bentley University Hockey
                                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                                X