Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Because we're better than you, obviously.

UW/KC staff couldn't care less about the fan experience. I'd put good money on them doing nothing. (Possible exceptions: improved jumbotrons and better PA speakers... They'd spend a fortune on those things))
    I for one would appreciate a bottle of water that was less that $5.00.

Parking question...I like parking in the lot where the bicycle shop used to be off Regent St by gate C by the RR tracks. Is there any free parking in that area for men's games? I don't care about the walking distance. Tx.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

So, on one of my broken-record topics: I saw this article (about a sophomoric and stupid chant done at MLS games and how the league commish is trying to deal with it) and immediately made a comparison in my head with how the AD has dealt with sophomoric vulgarity from the UW students at different sporting events. Don Garber's approach seems to be to have open dialogue with the teams, with supporters groups, etc. and to say that if it doesn't stop, he'll take drastic measures and remove privileges. Contrast that what's happened on campus, where they've simply decided to slowly replace Leckrone with canned music that they can use to try to drown out cheers that they don't like.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Parking question...I like parking in the lot where the bicycle shop used to be off Regent St by gate C by the RR tracks. Is there any free parking in that area for men's games? I don't care about the walking distance. Tx.
      Side note: is Budget Bicycle still in business?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

In other, much more fun news: Chris Chelios is going to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So, on one of my broken-record topics: I saw this article (about a sophomoric and stupid chant done at MLS games and how the league commish is trying to deal with it) and immediately made a comparison in my head with how the AD has dealt with sophomoric vulgarity from the UW students at different sporting events. Don Garber's approach seems to be to have open dialogue with the teams, with supporters groups, etc. and to say that if it doesn't stop, he'll take drastic measures and remove privileges. Contrast that what's happened on campus, where they've simply decided to slowly replace Leckrone with canned music that they can use to try to drown out cheers that they don't like.
          I only ever notice anything like that at football games, and that's in just one form - ESFU. Listen to what they yell in the video in that article you posted. Notice both the content and tone. If someone yells something like that at a hockey game, it just gets ignored. It's just like everyone's thinking "oh...okay, here was nothing to that." If someone starts a creative chant, everyone joins in.

In response to ESFU, they did offer the chance for one or two lucky fans to win a trip to the the Badgers' bowl game "if no ES-FU chant is heard during today's game" in the 2011 season. Within seconds, the clowns in the back of K and L started doing it. There was a minor thing they started, trying to get some people to switch to "eat cheese, Bucky rules." That didn't catch on (shocker, I know), but there are small pockets of fans who enjoy doing "eat chips, fondue." Yes, that is actually a thing.

Comment

Blackhawks hire Osiecki as an assistant for the Rockford IceHogs
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Side note: is Budget Bicycle still in business?
              Oh yes, still have 3 shops open, the bike shop, accessories / repair store, and I believe the used bike store are all still open.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

No one wants to give up their double secret free parking tip to a fellow long time hard core UW fan? You can always email me. This upcoming hockey season I'd be willing to trade perch or pike fillets for tickets.

Comment

No one wants to give up their double secret free parking tip to a fellow long time hard core UW fan? You can always email me. This upcoming hockey season I'd be willing to trade perch or pike fillets for tickets.
                  My secret is I live nearby. I can't offer much information, but there are many open lots on campus. That lot by Union South (on Johnson Street to the east) isn't controlled, and is pretty close. Here's a link to where I'm talking about on Google Maps; it's that triangle between Johnson St, Charter St, and the train tracks. There are other little lots by campus buildings that aren't controlled. I'd also consider Memorial Union.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    My secret is I live nearby. I can't offer much information, but there are many open lots on campus. That lot by Union South (on Johnson Street to the east) isn't controlled, and is pretty close. Here's a link to where I'm talking about on Google Maps; it's that triangle between Johnson St, Charter St, and the train tracks. There are other little lots by campus buildings that aren't controlled. I'd also consider Memorial Union.
                    Just because a lot isn't controlled does not mean that a permit is not required. Id check to make sure that any campus lot does not require one before parking, I have to believe that events are a great time to handout tickets to the unsuspecting.

Comment

Don't know if this will help or not. When I used to get season tix I would buy the season pass' for Grainger Hall. It's heated underground parking and the walk is not bad. Went there for the only game I went to last year figuring to pay the $15.00 event parking. They no longer have the event parking so we took the ticket at the booth. I think parking for 3 hours would be cheaper than event parking anyway. By time the game was over, which was a normal length game, they were no longer manning the booth and the gates were open. So we got heated parking FREE.

Comment

I have used the parking lot just north of McDonalds on Regent Street that is typically free on hockey nights. It is much smaller now with the new building on that site, but it does work. you then walk the bike path to the underpass at East Campus Mall and come out at the La Bahn arena.

I typically don't do that and usually bite the bullet and pay the 5 bucks for the city ramp.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. It will this hick bumpkin get around the hockey facilities a bit easier and cheaper. The East Campus Mall must cross the rr tracks, correct?

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. It will this hick bumpkin get around the hockey facilities a bit easier and cheaper. The East Campus Mall must cross the rr tracks, correct?
                            It passes under the tracks and extends down to Regent St.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              It passes under the tracks and extends down to Regent St.
                              Ah, that's what the dotted line on Mapquest was. Thanks.

Looks like Gwoz is holding out for the UW job. It actually sounds like his wife is calling the shots on where he's going to coach next. I wonder where she's from?

Comment

Ah, that's what the dotted line on Mapquest was. Thanks.

Looks like Gwoz is holding out for the UW job. It actually sounds like his wife is calling the shots on where he's going to coach next. I wonder where she's from?
                                She is from Michigan.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X