Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Gurt, well thought out post. Numbers 2,4,6,8 really stand out for me. We were traveling a lot in the early 2000's with AAA hockey, but were always able to sell them when we weren't around.

I hung on to 2 Friday's and 2 Saturday's until a few years ago. Even though I'm older than most of you, I like to have fun at games and not sit on my hands. It wasn't happening.

Today, I can get tickets anytime...CHEAP, and a fellow-former-hockey-dad-friend of mine's employer has a suite. Season ducats? I think not at those prices and sterile atmosphere.

Hey you kids, get off my lawn.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Among all the stories of life going on, I'll share something a little different. I'm a student and got season tickets again (no surprise there). A bunch of my friends are also season ticket holders, and they're excited about this team too. (I've helped spread some college-specific hockey knowledge, too. e.g. explaining the nitty gritty details of realignment and hockey recruiting.) I also have a friend who's more of a casual sports fan and had never been exposed to much hockey at all (from Minnesota, haha) who went to that first home game against CC last year. Then another. And another. Aaaaand another. I was genuinely surprised when I found out this friend got season tickets for next year. It's what I've been saying - the experience sells itself, as long as you get that initial exposure (I try to do what I can).

Also, the best Crease Creature I've met will technically be in his second year of not being a season ticket holder, but that's just because he needs to be in the student section. It doesn't add to the numbers, though.

Originally posted by Carter View Post
      ...It's also been fun to listen to more games on the radio. I think Brian Posick is a great broadcaster, and we're lucky to have him...
      Whether it's a non-televised game (like that game when goals against Denver and touchdowns against Nebraska came within seconds of each other) or I'm at my first home out East and can't watch a locally televised game, I really, really love listening to Posick and Michael Cerniglia call hockey games!

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
      Seems there may be some desperation from the athletic department...
      I hope they're planning on adding this picture to everything this summer.

Comment

Re: sterile atmosphere - I want some thoughts.

I'm not big on using foul language in chants. Unless it's funny. (No, I don't know anyone who thought ESFU was funny after the first couple of times.) When we spell words and say what they mean, it gets the voices going and it gets plenty of chuckles. And a couple of the words aren't even dirty! Straight up curse words? Meh.

That said, after hearing this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17mJgQkZX9U - I couldn't help but think how wonderfully fun it would be to bring this to the Kohl Center - "We bring the noise, we bring the ruckus, WIS-CON-SIN AIN'T NOTHING TO "DUCK" WITH!" I feel conflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          Also, the best Crease Creature I've met will technically be in his second year of not being a season ticket holder, but that's just because he needs to be in the student section. It doesn't add to the numbers, though.
          I take it you're referring to Superfan Dan? If so, glad to hear he'll be back again during my last year as a student!

Regarding the dying atmosphere, I unfortunately think the student section is slowly dying off as well. There seems to be a decreased amount of students each year. I remember going to games while in middle and high school when there were students well into the third level and now we barely fill up half of the second level. Even in my four years of being a student, the change is noticeable. I remember getting emails about student tickets warning me to buy them quickly because they were said to be selling out quickly. Now they'll be practically begging student to buy tickets all the way up to puck drop of the first game.

It's pretty disheartening to see both student and general public attendance drop the way they are, but I completely understand most, if not all, of the reasons everyone has given on here and in other comments across the internet for decreased attendance. I really think the athletic dept. needs to step up there efforts in solving these issues, be them radical or subtle. Sitting idly by and hoping for a change is not going to do a thing. Hockey simply needs to be a higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
            I take it you're referring to Superfan Dan? If so, glad to hear he'll be back again during my last year as a student!
            That is indeed who I'm referring to. Now that I think about it, our paths have probably crossed at some point before. You're a great member of our Badger family, GBBadger14!

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
            Regarding the dying atmosphere, I unfortunately think the student section is slowly dying off as well. There seems to be a decreased amount of students each year. I remember going to games while in middle and high school when there were students well into the third level and now we barely fill up half of the second level. Even in my four years of being a student, the change is noticeable. I remember getting emails about student tickets warning me to buy them quickly because they were said to be selling out quickly. Now they'll be practically begging student to buy tickets all the way up to puck drop of the first game.
            Enthusiasm. These games should be events that turn casual fans into die-hards and other kids into casual fans. I can be a walking hype machine sometimes, and I know (quantitatively) that I've made a positive difference. But I am just one person, and I don't control what incoming students from outside of college hockey's spheres of influence think of Badger hockey.
            Last edited by WiscDC; 06-19-2013, 10:52 PM. Reason: The second part.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Great!! Where do we park the wagon?

We have a third stall and the backyard is nice and big for the mules!

Just keep em out of my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                Gurt, well thought out post. Numbers 2,4,6,8 really stand out for me. We were traveling a lot in the early 2000's with AAA hockey, but were always able to sell them when we weren't around.

That's the difference right there. Back then, buyers were easy to find and tickets were in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  That's the difference right there. Back then, buyers were easy to find and tickets were in demand.
                  Student tickets are frequently sold for 5 or 10 dollars! And you get a fuller experience! And we use the chairs properly - kick the seat to the back to make noise.

Comment

That said, after hearing this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17mJgQkZX9U - I couldn't help but think how wonderfully fun it would be to bring this to the Kohl Center - "We bring the noise, we bring the ruckus, WIS-CON-SIN AIN'T NOTHING TO "DUCK" WITH!" I feel conflicted.
                    My vote is always to keep it clean when you can, out of respect for the fact that I know that Phil hates the vulgarity. That said, if you're going to curse, just be creative, create atmosphere and make it an intimidating place for opponents. That's what the student section is for.

Whatever you try, do what you can to get students around you excited. Be charismatic and get at least your own little group on board. Try a bunch stuff until you see what works. That's how the guys in the from row of 115 got around to singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" at opposing goalies back in 04-05. That's how I got our section to start singing "Sieve" to the tune of "On Wisconsin" in my day. You might have to suffer through some bad ideas (replacing ESFU with "Great taste"/"Less filling" or singing Shane Connelly's name to the tune of "Call On Me" never took off, but dammit I tried), but its worth it when you stumble onto something good.

Fair counterpoint: that's also how the classless idiots in front of me in 114 during the 06-07 season got people adding "dick" to every cheer. They also helped replace the chant after "both teams at full strength"/"that's debatable" to something entirely stupid.
                    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Gurt, that's ok. It's common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        My vote is always to keep it clean when you can, out of respect for the fact that I know that Phil hates the vulgarity. That said, if you're going to curse, just be creative, create atmosphere and make it an intimidating place for opponents. That's what the student section is for.

Whatever you try, do what you can to get students around you excited. Be charismatic and get at least your own little group on board. Try a bunch stuff until you see what works. That's how the guys in the from row of 115 got around to singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" at opposing goalies back in 04-05. That's how I got our section to start singing "Sieve" to the tune of "On Wisconsin" in my day. You might have to suffer through some bad ideas (replacing ESFU with "Great taste"/"Less filling" or singing Shane Connelly's name to the tune of "Call On Me" never took off, but dammit I tried), but its worth it when you stumble onto something good.

Fair counterpoint: that's also how the classless idiots in front of me in 114 during the 06-07 season got people adding "dick" to every cheer. They also helped replace the chant after "both teams at full strength"/"that's debatable" to something entirely stupid.
                        Believe it or not, "Eat Cheese, Fondue" has some solid support!

That's debatable, cheese is gratable, styrofoam is not biodegradable, tests are gradable, the sine of 2x2 is not integratable...

To the fans appending "dick" to everything, sometimes I'll join in the mocking "huh huh huh guys, I'm so funny I said 'dick'" comments. But it's those fans who think "F you" is part of the post-goal sieve chant that bother me a little. Forget offensive words for a second...it lessens the effect of the silence before one big "SIEVE" all together! Unfortunately, the highest concentration of people against it are facing away from the highest concentration of people saying it. That's more important and doable. (Doable because the "F you" is much quieter overall than the rest of the chant, but even my friends watching on TV told me that "DROP THE PUCK, WHAT THE 'DUCK,' GOPHERS SUCK DICK" was very, very, very audible at the end of the Gophers-Badgers basketball game.) I admit I often include the "What the ... " part, but never the "dick" part, and I like to mix it up with "DROP THE PUCK, WHAT THE TRUCK, SWEARING SUCKS, THAT'S IT!" - It gets a good response, and is useful at women's hockey and volleyball games. I also do say "sound of me" and then explain it after.

That said, there's still a good base of clean chants that people go to, and most thought-up-on-the-spot chants are clean, and I'll take a little vulgarity if everyone feels more into it.

Comment

Believe it or not, "Eat Cheese, Fondue" has some solid support!

That's debatable, cheese is gratable, styrofoam is not biodegradable, tests are gradable, the sine of 2x2 is not integratable...

To the fans appending "dick" to everything, sometimes I'll join in the mocking "huh huh huh guys, I'm so funny I said 'dick'" comments. But it's those fans who think "F you" is part of the post-goal sieve chant that bother me a little. Forget offensive words for a second...it lessens the effect of the silence before one big "SIEVE" all together! Unfortunately, the highest concentration of people against it are facing away from the highest concentration of people saying it. That's more important and doable. (Doable because the "F you" is much quieter overall than the rest of the chant, but even my friends watching on TV told me that "DROP THE PUCK, WHAT THE 'DUCK,' GOPHERS SUCK DICK" was very, very, very audible at the end of the Gophers-Badgers basketball game.) I admit I often include the "What the ... " part, but never the "dick" part, and I like to mix it up with "DROP THE PUCK, WHAT THE TRUCK, SWEARING SUCKS, THAT'S IT!" - It gets a good response, and is useful at women's hockey and volleyball games. I also do say "sound of me" and then explain it after.

That said, there's still a good base of clean chants that people go to, and most thought-up-on-the-spot chants are clean, and I'll take a little vulgarity if everyone feels more into it.
                          I watch the games. The again, I also understand the game. Why don't more people just watch the game? Isn't that fun enough without having to manufacture fun?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                            I watch the games. The again, I also understand the game. Why don't more people just watch the game? Isn't that fun enough without having to manufacture fun?
                            We do. That said, there's a difference between watching on TV and in person. You usually get a better view in person, but there's also the "eustress" one experiences as a sports fan that is greatly intensified when the crowd gets involved. It's a bigger event and a bigger spectacle and a more memorable experience. This was a nice play, but the moment was even better because everyone going nuts after the Badgers jumped to a 3-0 lead against top-ranked Minnesota. There are goosebump-inducing moments that fans can experience in person at a sporting event, but it takes nothing away from appreciation of the game in front of them.

The same students talking about what I was talking about are discussing hockey-related stuff specific to the specific game, the whole season, and the program, because that's interesting as well, and hockey is why we go.

Comment

We do. That said, there's a difference between watching on TV and in person. You usually get a better view in person, but there's also the "eustress" one experiences as a sports fan that is greatly intensified when the crowd gets involved. It's a bigger event and a bigger spectacle and a more memorable experience. This was a nice play, but the moment was even better because everyone going nuts after the Badgers jumped to a 3-0 lead against top-ranked Minnesota. There are goosebump-inducing moments that fans can experience in person at a sporting event, but it takes nothing away from appreciation of the game in front of them.

The same students talking about what I was talking about are discussing hockey-related stuff specific to the specific game, the whole season, and the program, because that's interesting as well, and hockey is why we go.
                              I see your points, and don't disagree with anything you said. It does make a moment more memorable when the crowd cheers when a big goal is scored, a big hit is made, etc....

What I don't understand, and what my question was more directed towards, is how chants and dances factor into that? Sure, I can understand how chants used after goals are scored, etc... can really improve atmosphere (if that is what you are referring to). But I don't understand how chants or dances done thruought the game does anything more than distract from watching the game. It just seems like manufacturing atmosphere instead of watching and reacting to the actual game. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                I see your points, and don't disagree with anything you said. It does make a moment more memorable when the crowd cheers when a big goal is scored, a big hit is made, etc....

What I don't understand, and what my question was more directed towards, is how chants and dances factor into that? Sure, I can understand how chants used after goals are scored, etc... can really improve atmosphere (if that is what you are referring to). But I don't understand how chants or dances done thruought the game does anything more than distract from watching the game. It just seems like manufacturing atmosphere instead of watching and reacting to the actual game. Am I missing something?
                                As far as our dances are concerned, that's during breaks in the action, just like everywhere else. The chants and cheers that get the best response are the ones that are most directly tied to the game at hand in some creative way. It's just something that many fans find enjoyable, and students will laugh at silly things. There's kind of a family vibe in our student section, way more than at basketball games ("family" with regards to camaraderie/togetherness, not necessarily language ). A basic but passionate "let's go red" has a different vibe, but is still enjoyable in its own way. Cheering to encourage good things to happen rather than only reacting after they happen helps keep up a good atmosphere even if the home team is losing. Also, something I've found is that people are more likely to be vocal in reacting to or encouraging big plays on the ice if they're mentally warmed up with some fun chants. The reason EODS and I wrote a lot about vulgarities and extra little things is that there are some annoyances that have become prominent, and there are alternatives that we prefer. As far as going to the hockey game, it's not really a big deal, like the walls of text might indicate. I certainly agree that the main reason for going is the hockey game itself. I might not be able to mentally analyze the Badgers power play (or lack thereof) quite as well from in the stands as opposed to on TV, but I don't really feel extra goofy chants and cheers take away from the watching of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X