Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Union's third ECAC championship in a row is an amazing feat. It hadn't been done since the 1970s (BU in 1975, 1976 and 1977).

Consider:

1. Union's facilities would be deemed substandard even if Union were still playing in Division III. (Have you seen Bowdoin's Sid Watson Arena? Middlebury's Kenyon Arena? The rinks at Norwich, Oswego, and even Trinity?)

2. As an academic institution Union doesn't have the cachet of other hockey-playing eastern small colleges, such as Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Wesleyan.

3. Schenectady is, to put it nicely, far from an interesting location.

4. Support among students doesn't appear to be strong. Despite the small size of the rink, there are empty seats and a large segment, if not most of the fans appear to be from the community.

And yet, Union has been able to build an elite, highly respected Division I program. The Dutchmen play a complete game that's very interesting to watch. I wish them the best in the NC$$ tournament. I'd love to see them in the Frozen Four again.

Comment

Anyone know who our non-conference opponents will be next year? I'm curious to see if we'll be able to get the same caliber that we did this year (PC, UNH, CC, DU, BC).

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Anyone know who our non-conference opponents will be next year? I'm curious to see if we'll be able to get the same caliber that we did this year (PC, UNH, CC, DU, BC).
        The full schedule is not complete, but as of now it includes five non-conference games:

1. Denver and Boston College at the Dartmouth Holiday Tournament (The tournament has been designed so that both Brown and Dartmouth will play BC and DU on consecutive nights, but won't play each other.)

2. Home and home games against Providence College (Friday and Saturday)

3. U of Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
          The full schedule is not complete, but as of now it includes five non-conference games:

1. Denver and Boston College at the Dartmouth Holiday Tournament (The tournament has been designed so that both Brown and Dartmouth will play BC and DU on consecutive nights, but won't play each other.)

2. Home and home games against Providence College (Friday and Saturday)

3. U of Connecticut
          Very nice! I hope we get a couple big-name opponents to fill the other two games. We seem to have a good relationship with UNH and BU, as we've played them several times in recent years. Maybe something could be arranged, since HE has a lot more non-conference games now that they only play 22 conference games. Which game against PC counts as the Mayor's Cup? Our home game, since they hosted last year?

On a separate note: I think it's time to start a new thread. Let's wash the disappointing memories of this past season away.

Any suggestions for names, folks?

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
            Union's third ECAC championship in a row is an amazing feat. ....
            Now that we know who won the whole enchilada, I'd like to praise Euler's smart observations about Union hockey -- the little college that could.

Granted, their admission standards aren't anywhere near the Ivies', so they have that recruiting edge. But it was still a miraculous climb to the top this season.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
              Now that we know who won the whole enchilada, I'd like to praise Euler's smart observations about Union hockey -- the little college that could.

Granted, their admission standards aren't anywhere near the Ivies', so they have that recruiting edge. But it was still a miraculous climb to the top this season.
              Academically there are not many schools that can compare to the Ivy League and the Ivy league Athletic Index is stricly enforced. That being said 640/670/640 positions Union as a very selective school that takes academics very seriously. Many of the hockey players are engineers, premed, bioengineering, etc and I think the team was 3.6/4.0. One thing of note - the Athletic Director and the athletic department reports ot the Vice President of Academic Affairs, a Ph.D Economics Professor, and there is no quarter given when academic achievement is subpar.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                I think the team was 3.6/4.0.
                Well there's your problem right there. That's .4 less than a Harvard student is guaranteed as soon as the check clears!
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

From today's BDH - a good read

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2014...-take-nhl-ice/

Did Hathaway sign with an AHL club?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    From today's BDH - a good read

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2014...-take-nhl-ice/

Did Hathaway sign with an AHL club?
                    Abbotsford Heat..... http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=709509
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                    X