Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Brown played an excellent game against Harvard, limiting Harvard's scoring chances and being opportunistic on offense. Tyler Steel was terrific in earning his first shutout. The line of Kyle Kramer-Mark Naclerio-Nick Lappin was a going concern all night long. Brandon Pfeil and Dennis Robertson were rock solid at defense.

The victory was dedicated to USCHO writer Brian Sullivan.

Comment

We need RPI to get swept next weekend (which we'll have a hand in, of course) to get the seven seed. Realistically, that's very possible. I'm hesitant to use the term "probable" because we always struggle against them in the regular season. The playoffs, of course, are another story.

We've also had success recently against Union at home. I believe they haven't won at Meehan since 2010, and there were a couple years where we did not lose a game to them, despite their high ranking.

We'll need strong goaltending. I say we stick with the rotation- that seems to be working for now.

Comment

FYI - I'm sure Coach Bennett will have some comments on Brown

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-slap-schotts/

Comment

Well, that's a disappointment. St. Lawrence plays Princeton, and a hot Harvard and Dartmouth play Cornell and Colgate, while we get Union. I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up on the road - especially after SLU got pounded that way by Qpac tonight.

I've been here for a long time, but this regular season is right up there with the highest number of woulda, coulda, shoulda's I've seen.

In the interest of being Chicken Little, I will now sign off.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
            Well, that's a disappointment. St. Lawrence plays Princeton, and a hot Harvard and Dartmouth play Cornell and Colgate, while we get Union. I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up on the road - especially after SLU got pounded that way by Qpac tonight.

I've been here for a long time, but this regular season is right up there with the highest number of woulda, coulda, shoulda's I've seen.
            Very disappointing season so far for Bruno. Fans had high hopes after last year. Not enough depth. It's impossible to win with one line. Team speed has been an issue. The freshman class turned out to be much weaker than most fans expected.

Comment

Exactly. This season looked like it could be a special one but now it's Brown business as usual. I thought the BC tie would catapult this team to a strong second half
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

The three posters above nailed it. Major disappointment.

Comment

Wow. You guys really love going on the road in the playoffs eh? If you get home ice, it won't be through any help from yourselves.

Comment

I couldn't make it to either of the games this weekend, and frankly, I'm glad.

St. Lawrence is killing Princeton, Harvard and Cornell are tied at 2, and Dartmouth and Colgate are scoreless.

We will definitely be on the road. The only thing left to figure out is whether we are the 9, 10, or 11 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      I couldn't make it to either of the games this weekend, and frankly, I'm glad.

St. Lawrence is killing Princeton, Harvard and Cornell are tied at 2, and Dartmouth and Colgate are scoreless.

We will definitely be on the road. The only thing left to figure out is whether we are the 9, 10, or 11 seed.
                      It's St. Lawrence. At least that's one of the only teams we could handle this year and a barn at which we've played pretty well, but a sad end to a disappointing regular season. No chance I'm making the trek north, which means I've likely seen this squad for the final time in 2013-14. More thoughts to follow, but I'm struggling to stay "glass half full" at this point, with our scoreless streak at 150+ minutes and counting, more of the "we'll find a way to not win" style of hockey, and Marco playing just well enough not to win.

Comment

So ends a regular season that had lots of hope, some excitement early on, and some promising players (and solid ones like the first line and some of the D). But the comments about lack of depth are spot on, and the team never seemed to jell for any sustained period.

Whittet came in with the right spirit and gung-ho attitude. Yet even his most ardent supporters have to admit that's not enough. We must entertain the possibility that his coaching and/or recruiting skills aren't what we need to build a winning program and teach/motivate the players. Time for Brown to cough up the $$ for a proven Division 1 coach, not yet another assistant they can get cheap and bet the program on. I know, I know... don't hold my breath.

We devoted fans have endured too many seasons like this. I'm starting to feel as deluded as a Columbia football diehard. For the first time in three or more decades I'm reconsidering our season ticket purchase for next year. I'm too old to suffer this way every weekend! Ha ha -- only partly kidding.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

For those of us who care, and I know I'm going back a few weeks to that disastrous Yale game, the ref who got the game for the Yale-RPI game was the same one who reffed that Brown-Yale debacle. Sure enough, Yale won, 5-0. Yale needed a win to give themselves a chance at a bye, but more importantly, they're only three teams out in the PWR from making the run. I'd be interested if he gets any of the games this weekend when Yale needs to win to get in. I don't know how the game flow went, but if I had to guess, Mr. Kevin Curtis was sent out there to protect the national champs again.

Also - penalties count from last night's game - RPI had 4. Yale had 1. That's right folks. One penalty called against Yale, and the only penalty called in the 3rd period came after RPI scored to go up 3-0. Sure enough, Yale scored on the PP.
                          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Give me a break. Brown is lucky Brendan doesn't sue the administration for lack of support. Have you looked around college hockey? The facilities that many other schools have put Meehan to shame. No help from admissions. Delusional alums who think that recruits should be lining up for the chance to go to Brown. Jim Fullerton's not walking through that door.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                              For those of us who care, and I know I'm going back a few weeks to that disastrous Yale game, the ref who got the game for the Yale-RPI game was the same one who reffed that Brown-Yale debacle. Sure enough, Yale won, 5-0. Yale needed a win to give themselves a chance at a bye, but more importantly, they're only three teams out in the PWR from making the run. I'd be interested if he gets any of the games this weekend when Yale needs to win to get in. I don't know how the game flow went, but if I had to guess, Mr. Kevin Curtis was sent out there to protect the national champs again.

Also - penalties count from last night's game - RPI had 4. Yale had 1. That's right folks. One penalty called against Yale, and the only penalty called in the 3rd period came after RPI scored to go up 3-0. Sure enough, Yale scored on the PP.
                              The RPI coach did not say a word about the refs. Give credit where credit is due, Yale has team discipline when it comes to taking penalties! The stats with ALL referees taken into account bear that out.

Yale was outstanding tonight,” coach Seth Appert said. “We had a couple chances to make plays, went offsides on two two-on-ones and had a few other chances … we didn’t take advantage of that. They had a good push in the second, we made a few bad puck decisions there that led to that first goal.”

“Whoever you play, you wanna beat; you want to win,” said Appert. “I thought both teams played desperate. Both teams played as though there were a lot on the line, but they were better than us.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2014/03/...#ixzz2uonbgkBw
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                                So ends a regular season that had lots of hope, some excitement early on, and some promising players (and solid ones like the first line and some of the D). But the comments about lack of depth are spot on, and the team never seemed to jell for any sustained period.

Whittet came in with the right spirit and gung-ho attitude. Yet even his most ardent supporters have to admit that's not enough. We must entertain the possibility that his coaching and/or recruiting skills aren't what we need to build a winning program and teach/motivate the players. Time for Brown to cough up the $$ for a proven Division 1 coach, not yet another assistant they can get cheap and bet the program on. I know, I know... don't hold my breath.

We devoted fans have endured too many seasons like this. I'm starting to feel as deluded as a Columbia football diehard. For the first time in three or more decades I'm reconsidering our season ticket purchase for next year. I'm too old to suffer this way every weekend! Ha ha -- only partly kidding.

Don't shoot the messenger.
                                The good news: you get SLU. At Appleton.

I don't care if Brown goes 0-29 (and let's be realistic, that will never happen as long as St. Lawrence is on the schedule twice a year), I'll take any other matchup in the playoffs. At least when we lose to Clarkson, it's intriguing because of the rivalry.

Comment

Working...
                                X