Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2013-2014 - Climbing to the Top of the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    Incidentally, I agree with others who have suggested that Quinnipiac fans are among the nicest in the league.
    They're also the hottest. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing. The Q section at the ECACs looks like somebody invited the USC cheerleaders to an AIPAC conference.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Some thoughts on the last few posts:

-I think Humanoid is on to something regarding the system we use to play Q. There's something that Brendan conjures up to neutralize their effectiveness when they aren't playing at home. And, yes, Keith Allain is a Grade A blowhard.

-BrunoFan said it perfectly- Pecknold interacts with the officials with an aura of entitlement. It's important to keep in mind, Rand, you're still the newcomer in this league.

-Mike, he's an embarrassment. And he finally got what was coming to him when the refs turned on him in the third. But he and some of his players wouldn't shut up all game. Tolkinen (who's not even a captain) and the goalie Garteig were in the refs' ears from the first puck drop, and Garteig was barking at them DURING play. Don't worry, I did plenty of barking back at him.

-Euler, I'm not sure what I think about a Whittet vs. Pecknold coaching comparison, but you're absolutely right about Q fans and especially MarkEagle. Absolutely terrific people to discuss the games with on here.

Comment

It was difficult to see what was going on with Pecknold since the camera never showed him or the bench. Your announcers did mention the "hand" incident after the Van Brabant major (clearly a bad hit and stupid penalty to take at that point). Not to defend Pecknold, but we had St. Lawrence (the ref) at Yale Friday night and some of his calls were questionable at best. Perhaps it was just a continuation from the night before... still not an excuse but we all know the quality of ECAC officiating.

Much like St. Lawrence (the school) did last week, Brown came at us with a dose of our own medicine and some physicality that we just couldn't handle. What upset me most watching last night was that everytime we seemed to find some momentum, we'd do something stupid with the puck or take a penalty. Without replay it's hard to tell good calls from bad calls. The 2 I did see that I thought were bad were the cross-checking on Jones while going after a loose puck, and the elbowing call against Anas. Add in the icing called against Brown after deflecting off a Quinnipiac glove (Rubin was incredulous about that one).

Meehan just is not kind to us. Only one win since 08-09 (a 5-1 victory that season). Since then, a 2-1 loss, followed by 3 ties preceded last nights' debacle. And all that with usually more Q fans in the building. Maybe it's the last change that gives Brown an edge? Whatever it is, we struggle in your barn.

As far as being good fans, I learned long ago that a little trash talk is fine, but when you start getting arrogant or personal, you've crossed the line. It's a game, played by student-athletes who have more going on in their lives than lacing up a pair of skates. As fans we all want to win, but when we don't there's no need to whine over it. On the other hand, there's nothing to be gained by gloating after a win either.

I'm kind of sorry I didn't make the game last might since it would have been nice to finally meet a few of you.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Don't worry about not making it last night, Mark. We can all meet up in Lake Placid!

Comment

I'm sure it's of no consolation to you guys but I hope these 2 don't choose the MJr. route..... Brown's recruiting efforts takes two big hits as G Blake Weyrick and F Miles Wood decommit. Still plenty in the pipeline..... https://twitter.com/OTBPuckWatch
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Wonder what Weyrick's deal is? He committed to Brown just over a month ago.
              Last edited by Dutchfan; 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Can't say it hasn't happened before.

Moving on. Let's forget about the guys who bailed and focus on this weekend. Four points are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  Four points are a must.
                  Coach, same lines and goalie as Saturday? I say yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    Can't say it hasn't happened before.
                    If you are referring to the Roy case, this doesn't sound the same

"@MarkDivver: Issue with Weyrick was financial aid. With Wood, grades not Ivy caliber."
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                      Coach, same lines and goalie as Saturday? I say yes.
                      Definitely! LOVED Kramer with Naclerio and Lappin.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                        If you are referring to the Roy case, this doesn't sound the same

"@MarkDivver: Issue with Weyrick was financial aid. With Wood, grades not Ivy caliber."
                        The Roy case is different. I am, however, referring to the fact that we can't seem to hang on to high caliber recruits. Roy is an example. Weyrick was screwed by an administration that is totally apathetic towards athletics and hockey specifically.

As Euler mentioned to me this past weekend at the games, Marc Antoine Carrier is another example of a good player who left Brown that could have made a difference. Same with Nate Widman.

The point is, we can't hang on to big time recruits. And that's a problem. Brown needed to find a way to keep Weyrick and to admit Wood despite his poor grades. And they didn't. That's a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          As Euler mentioned to me this past weekend at the games, Marc Antoine Carrier is another example of a good player who left Brown that could have made a difference. Same with Nate Widman.
                          I always thought Carrier was a major loss. great hockey sense. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                            Unless I'm Keith Allain. Then I don't ask anyone for help because I'm Keith Allain and I am clearly the master of the universe.
                            At least the college hockey universe for one year. The nice thing about Allain is that you know what you are getting. He has not changed since "the win" except for possibly mellowing with the flighty ECAC officials. There are much more vocal Head Coaches in the ECAC these days.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Congrats to Dennis R:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/02/19/ten-...r-class-award/

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                I'm sure it's of no consolation to you guys but I hope these 2 don't choose the MJr. route..... Brown's recruiting efforts takes two big hits as G Blake Weyrick and F Miles Wood decommit. Still plenty in the pipeline..... https://twitter.com/OTBPuckWatch
                                Evidently in one case there had always been a question whether his grades and test scores were good enough to get into Brown...

Comment

Working...
                                X