Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Hockey East refs encourage players to dive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patman
    replied
    Re: Why do Hockey East refs encourage players to dive?

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    This. Just because you've been hooked does not mean you have license to flop on the ice like you've just been hit by a Buick.
    if you grab both I'd like to think it was a significant enough hook... to me "embellishment" is the more important infraction to it'd have to come down to severity.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    That would be hooking, only.
    Why? If there is a legitimate hook accompanied by a legitimate flop (see my example below), why can't both be called, aside from it offending your sensibilities of how the world ought to work in black and white?

Leave a comment:

• NCAAfan500
    replied

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    You mean, because there is no penalty called "diving," but there is one called "unsportsmanlike conduct - embellishment"?
    Rule 68 - Diving/Embellishment
    68.1 Diving/Embellishment - A player shall not attempt to draw a penalty through any exaggerated or deceitful action. A diving penalty is a stand- alone penalty.

SECTION 9 / OTHEr FOULS
    PENALTY—Minor for diving.
    A player who has been fouled shall not exaggerate the impact of the foul. An embellishment penalty is called in conjunction with an opponent’s penalty.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    That's why it usually goes onto the sheet as "unsportsmanlike conduct - embellishment".
    You mean, because there is no penalty called "diving," but there is one called "unsportsmanlike conduct - embellishment"?

Leave a comment:

• GoUNH
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    If you're hooked and get impeded for a step or two, then flop, it's both a hook and a dive. Hooking doesn't have to involve pulling you all the way to the ice.
    That would be hooking, only. If there was no hook and a flop then if would be embellishment. The matching penalties, one of them being embellishment is ridiculous but I see it all the time.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I've never understood the matching penalties. If it was a hook, it's not diving. If it's diving, there is no hook.
    That's why it usually goes onto the sheet as "unsportsmanlike conduct - embellishment".

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    If you're hooked and get impeded for a step or two, then flop, it's both a hook and a dive. Hooking doesn't have to involve pulling you all the way to the ice.
    This. Just because you've been hooked does not mean you have license to flop on the ice like you've just been hit by a Buick.

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

The usual case #2 -- the matching situation -- it's more "embellishment" than it is "diving" if by diving you mean that the player goes down without any contact at all. The diver's team actually does lose out. If it weren't for the dive, they'd have a power play, so you can't really say that the dive was "successful".

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

I've never understood the matching penalties. If it was a hook, it's not diving. If it's diving, there is no hook.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Because Jack Parker paid them* to?

*before this season

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

I'm pretty sure BU had multiple stand alone diving/embellishment calls go against them.

Leave a comment:

• COHockey
    replied

The joke in the fWCHA was that the refs only called splashing. If the dive was clean with no splashing on the refs, they would call #1 or #2. Only when they got splashed on they ever call #3.

Leave a comment:

• BU2K
    replied

Because they misunderstood what there wived meant when they said they wanted more diving?

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

As with case #3 I am willing to allow cases where it could be #2 but the flopping was eregious enough to be a bigger infraction than the original penalty. A bit subjective, but nevertheless... a light tug relating in a massive non-physics supported spill should mean the dive takes precedence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X