Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Looking ahead to next season, I think this team has the potential to move up a couple spots so that we don't have to play three games in three days. This past season was a great season, but we need to build on it. If we don't build on it, then it didn't really mean anything, and by build on it, I mean better record, higher finish in the Big Ten, maybe even an NCAA Tournament berth. I think those are fair and attainable goals next season.
    For 2014-15, I think all B1G teams besides Wisconsin expect to improve their regular season performance, while OSU can battle for second with the rest of the teams behind Minnesota. (As a Michigan fan, I get more cynical with each season's performance.)

I think its a bit strong to say this was a great season for OSU, I see it as a great weekend (B1G Playoffs) and a goal away from the NCAAs. Was there this much optimism before the weekend when OSU was 2-4-4 in its last 10 games entering the playoffs, including a loss at PSU? Although OSU had 18 wins on the season, only 5 came against teams not in the Atlantic Hockey or PSU/MSU as the NC schedule was rather light.

The Jr. class adds a lot of offense and Dzingel would be a huge component to the success of the team next year if he is not in OTT. The goaltending should remain strong building upon the recent season performances of Hjelle and Heeter.

Was Drew Brevig a late find, or why wasn't the 21 year old freshman brought in earlier if he earned B1G All Freshman team?

Comment

The Scarlet Liners welcome home our hockey team on Sunday afternoon at the Schott.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=724730624215606
      Last edited by GreyGhost; 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
        The only part I would quibble with is "maybe even an NCAA Tournament bid." Next year won't be a success without one.

They need to do a couple of things. First they need a better start to the season and I think being the second year under the new coaching staff will take care of that. Second, they need a slightly upgraded schedule and the Hockey East Big Ten challenge should help with that.

They also need to internalize and remember how bad they felt after the last loss.
        I like your expectations! You are probably right. With the talent we will have coming back, we should make the NCAA Tournament next season.
        Last edited by osualum86; 03-25-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
          For 2014-15, I think all B1G teams besides Wisconsin expect to improve their regular season performance, while OSU can battle for second with the rest of the teams behind Minnesota. (As a Michigan fan, I get more cynical with each season's performance.)

I think its a bit strong to say this was a great season for OSU, I see it as a great weekend (B1G Playoffs) and a goal away from the NCAAs. Was there this much optimism before the weekend when OSU was 2-4-4 in its last 10 games entering the playoffs, including a loss at PSU? Although OSU had 18 wins on the season, only 5 came against teams not in the Atlantic Hockey or PSU/MSU as the NC schedule was rather light.

The Jr. class adds a lot of offense and Dzingel would be a huge component to the success of the team next year if he is not in OTT. The goaltending should remain strong building upon the recent season performances of Hjelle and Heeter.

Was Drew Brevig a late find, or why wasn't the 21 year old freshman brought in earlier if he earned B1G All Freshman team?
          We can quibble about whether it was a "great season" or "great weekend" but the bottom line is we came within an OT goal of going to the NCAA Tournament. I agree that our NC schedule was garbage other than Robert Morris, who won their tournament and is in the NCAA Tournament. If someone would have told any of us that we would beat teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin, and at the end of the season we would be playing Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament Title Game for a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament, I believe most would have called it a great season. We actually split with Wisconsin during the regular season with them winning the rubber match Saturday. It's ironic that you bring up Penn State as we were 3-1 against them whereas Michigan was 2-3 against the Nittany Lions. Also, the 2-4-4 record is a bit deceiving as we won shootout victories in three of those four ties. I totally understand what you are saying and the standards here are probably a little different than the ones in Ann Arbor. What we characterize as a great season vs what Michigan Hockey fans would characterize as a great season are probably two different things. Your definition of a great season probably includes a Frozen Four or a National Title. Unfortunately for us, we're simply not at that level yet where we have to get to the Frozen Four or win it all to call it a great season. I certainly hope we get to that level at some point and I kind of agree with Draighlicht that next year should not be considered a success unless we get to the next level and make the NCAA Tournament. As for Dzingel, I would love to see him in Scarlet & Gray for his senior year, but OTT will have something to say about that. In regard to Brevig, I am not sure what transpired with his recruitment, but we're glad to have him!

Comment

We can quibble about whether it was a "great season" or "great weekend" but the bottom line is we came within an OT goal of going to the NCAA Tournament. I agree that our NC schedule was garbage other than Robert Morris, who won their tournament and is in the NCAA Tournament. If someone would have told any of us that we would beat teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin, and at the end of the season we would be playing Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament Title Game for a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament, I believe most would have called it a great season. We actually split with Wisconsin during the regular season with them winning the rubber match Saturday. It's ironic that you bring up Penn State as we were 3-1 against them whereas Michigan was 2-3 against the Nittany Lions. Also, the 2-4-4 record is a bit deceiving as we won shootout victories in three of those four ties. I totally understand what you are saying and the standards here are probably a little different than the ones in Ann Arbor. What we characterize as a great season vs what Michigan Hockey fans would characterize as a great season are probably two different things. Your definition of a great season probably includes a Frozen Four or a National Title. Unfortunately for us, we're simply not at that level yet where we have to get to the Frozen Four or win it all to call it a great season. I certainly hope we get to that level at some point and I kind of agree with Draighlicht that next year should not be considered a success unless we get to the next level and make the NCAA Tournament. As for Dzingel, I would love to see him in Scarlet & Gray for his senior year, but OTT will have something to say about that. In regard to Brevig, I am not sure what transpired with his recruitment, but we're glad to have him!
            I wouldnt consider this season great but i would call it decent and a step back to respectability. They had a great weekend in St. Paul and proved to the doubters that Ohio State can play hockey with the big boys in this Conference. As far as next year goes anything short of a Tournament berth will be disappointing for me. They have the talent to make it and the coaching that can lead them to it. Its up to the players if they want it bad enough and it starts now with the off season. Dzingel most likely will not be back but we are hopeful that we see him one more season. Brevig was a great find but not sure where.

Comment

[
              Was Drew Brevig a late find, or why wasn't the 21 year old freshman brought in earlier if he earned B1G All Freshman team?[/QUOTE]

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=7915

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                I wouldnt consider this season great but i would call it decent and a step back to respectability. They had a great weekend in St. Paul and proved to the doubters that Ohio State can play hockey with the big boys in this Conference. As far as next year goes anything short of a Tournament berth will be disappointing for me. They have the talent to make it and the coaching that can lead them to it. Its up to the players if they want it bad enough and it starts now with the off season. Dzingel most likely will not be back but we are hopeful that we see him one more season. Brevig was a great find but not sure where.
                That is a fair assessment of this season ... decent season, great weekend. I agree with you 100% that we need to take that next step and get to the NCAA Tournament next season. With the talent we have coming back, as well as the recruits coming in, there's no reason why Ohio State shouldn't be able to win enough games to make the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

Dzingel signs with Ottawa. Not surprised, but wish we could have had one more year.

Comment

PC is going to Columbus this upcoming season...should be fun!
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                      Dzingel signs with Ottawa. Not surprised, but wish we could have had one more year.
                      Yeah, kind of saw that coming. I didn't want to say anything prematurely but his agent had been around a lot lately.
                      He also didn't make the final 3 for the Hobey. An injustice if you ask me. Maybe if Ohio State was still playing.

Comment

We all knew this was most likely to happen but that doesnt make it any easier to take. They will miss him but the one thing about this team i liked was they never sat around and waited for him to do it. The other guys on this team stepped up and made this team go so i am not worried that him leaving will cause a scoring drought. Good Luck Ryan and thanks for the 3 years of great hockey you provided us.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          We all knew this was most likely to happen but that doesnt make it any easier to take. They will miss him but the one thing about this team i liked was they never sat around and waited for him to do it. The other guys on this team stepped up and made this team go so i am not worried that him leaving will cause a scoring drought. Good Luck Ryan and thanks for the 3 years of great hockey you provided us.
                          I agree. We knew this was going to happen, but I am just thankful we had Ryan for three seasons and wish him the best. As for next season, I am sure others will step up and we will still have a potent offense. Ryan led the team (and the B1G for that matter) in scoring this season but he wasn't the only person who was scoring. We had other guys scoring this season and I have no reason to believe that won't continue next season.

Comment

I agree. We knew this was going to happen, but I am just thankful we had Ryan for three seasons and wish him the best. As for next season, I am sure others will step up and we will still have a potent offense. Ryan led the team (and the B1G for that matter) in scoring this season but he wasn't the only person who was scoring. We had other guys scoring this season and I have no reason to believe that won't continue next season.
                            It's possible the best thing that Dzingel did for Ohio State this season (other than step up all the time and score a lot of goals) was play on a line with Nick Schilkey. Schilkey had a great season, especially the 2nd half, and I think playing with Ryan helped his game immensely.

Going to be interesting to see what Rohlik does on the first power play unit next year. Schilkey had already replaced Szczechura after the injury, but both #1 point men (Gedig and Dzingel) are gone now. I expect to see Brevig step into Gedig's role, but not sure who will fill in for Dzingel- if they'll go with a defensemen and run a traditional power play or if he'll put another forward in that role.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckBucks View Post
                              It's possible the best thing that Dzingel did for Ohio State this season (other than step up all the time and score a lot of goals) was play on a line with Nick Schilkey. Schilkey had a great season, especially the 2nd half, and I think playing with Ryan helped his game immensely.

Going to be interesting to see what Rohlik does on the first power play unit next year. Schilkey had already replaced Szczechura after the injury, but both #1 point men (Gedig and Dzingel) are gone now. I expect to see Brevig step into Gedig's role, but not sure who will fill in for Dzingel- if they'll go with a defensemen and run a traditional power play or if he'll put another forward in that role.
                              He gad a few choices for that first PP unit. If he wants a forward we could see Schiller or Fritz maybe even Max. If they go Vick to the traditional 2 dmen then it probably will be dalrymple if get is healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X