Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by the ohio state View Post
    I think a player should commit to the college and then the coach. The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey and the coach.
    So do I, but I live in the real world.

That said - I will give you that some of those decommits were the result of the way Oz's termination was handled. I simply left too many doubts about the program. The current group of players are removing most of those doubts. I'll take what we have now, but would still like to have had a couple of those decommits stay in scarlet and gray.

So who's your team for the first 50 years? Does Brady Hjelle get the nod in goal? Paul Pooley is a given and probably Hugo Boisvert, but after that I could only guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      When's the last time you saw a coach pull the goalie with 12 minutes left?! Even the easy empty netter will help Ryan's stats!
      12 minutes is a lot, but the strategy is by no means unprecedented.

When Dean Blais coached North Dakota he liked to do this. In the 2001 National Title game, UND trailed by 2 with maybe 7 or 8 minutes left. Goalie pulled, and the Sioux got the two goals they needed to tie. UND wound losing the title in OT, but that's another story.

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      I thought it was great move. Who cares if u lose by 4 goals. If they score there it's just a 2 goal game with 12 minutes to go. I would have done the same thing they had nothing to lose.
      Agreed.

In conference games, one does need to take into account goal differential numbers, depending on what tiebreaking procedures are used. Off the top of my head, I don't know what tiebreakers are for the B1G, this being the inaugural season. But for this year's Penn State team, there's no realistic scenario where tiebreakers are relevant. Under these circumstances, it was indeed an everything to gain, nothing to lose decision for PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
        So who's your team for the first 50 years? Does Brady Hjelle get the nod in goal? Paul Pooley is a given and probably Hugo Boisvert, but after that I could only guess.
        Great question; I guess we'll have an answer in a few hours!

In goal, I have to wonder if Jeff Maund might get the nod. He was, after all, an All-American. That, and I saw a kid wearing a Maund jersey at the Schott last night. Perhaps an omen?

Up front, I agree with Pooley and Boisvert. Gotta believe that it will be tempting to save a place for RJ Umberger.

On D, maybe Jamie Macoun from the '80s.

Looking forward to the announcement.

Comment

Nice weekend series, 6 points and a SWEEP! The next five weeks and final drive of this season is going to be a true test for this team. #GoBucks

Comment

I've come to find out there is no consideration of goalie rotation by the coaching staff. It is reported that they are working both hard to bring on constant improvement and at this point in time until something changes both Tompkins and Frey should get playing time.

Comment

Very pleased to see how they reacted to being down 2-0 early today. I said it early in the week that 6 points were a must this weekend and they went out and delivered just that. Great weekend for Dzingel getting 3 points each game. Max was also great both nights but overall the team as a whole just went out and played 2 decent games and now are in 3rd place. Off to the land of Sparty to play a very tough team who gav theGophers all they could handle and more this weekend. Michigan State is still the only team to take points from Minnesota.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I've come to find out there is no consideration of goalie rotation by the coaching staff. It is reported that they are working both hard to bring on constant improvement and at this point in time until something changes both Tompkins and Frey should get playing time.
                Then why did Frey play today?

Comment

Very pleased to see how they reacted to being down 2-0 early today. I said it early in the week that 6 points were a must this weekend and they went out and delivered just that. Great weekend for Dzingel getting 3 points each game. Max was also great both nights but overall the team as a whole just went out and played 2 decent games and now are in 3rd place. Off to the land of Sparty to play a very tough team who gav theGophers all they could handle and more this weekend. Michigan State is still the only team to take points from Minnesota.
                  Is anyone else headed up to the Sparty series this weekend? The Knucklebucks are making the Saturday game of the series their annual road trip, so there should be a decent amount of OSU fan representation....or at least a bus load!

OSU Women swept St Cloud State and will host Wisconsin this weekend at the Ice Rink.

Comment

I wasn't told that specifically on why he got the whole weekend. I can only assume based on what I was told he probably came out on top in this week's practice and earned it.
                    They are eventually looking to make one or the other the starter but for that to happen one probably has to pull ahead of the other in their evaluations.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
                      Is anyone else headed up to the Sparty series this weekend? The Knucklebucks are making the Saturday game of the series their annual road trip, so there should be a decent amount of OSU fan representation....or at least a bus load!

OSU Women swept St Cloud State and will host Wisconsin this weekend at the Ice Rink.
                      I am making the trip from toledo providing we don't get buried with snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Found out today somebody's really dropping the ball (or puck) on the 50th Anniversary celebration next Saturday. MANY of the hockey alumni have not been contacted and knew nothing about it!
                        Only 3 of our first squad from '63-'64 will be there and that's because one personally called the other two and told them about it!
                        Is this REALLY the best the University can do on recognizing this milestone?
                        Center ice was lined with alumni this afternoon and I think OSU did a good job recognizing them and celebrating 50 years of OSU hockey. Looking forward to the next half decade. Where exactly was the ball dropped?

Comment

I am making the trip from toledo providing we don't get buried with snow.
                          That's the only thing holding me back from making hotel reservations at this point. The Friday night game will be the early game on BTN.

Comment

We are now in 4th place...one point ahead of Sparty. We need at least a split and preferably a sweep again this weekend.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...standings.html

Comment

Nice job by the Buckeyes this weekend getting all six points. What's everyone think of our chances in East Lansing? We took four of the six points at home last month. I will be content with a split up there. I cannot rightly expect this team to go up there and sweep. I am fine with three points at Munn. Anything more than that will be a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
                                Where exactly was the ball dropped?
                                There was debate on whether ALL alumni got contacted about the event due to them not updating contact info on their end or was there not efficiency on doing it on OSU's end.
                                The alumni also used to be shown the courtesy use of a double suite. Wonder what caused that to change?
                                Considering the number of players we have had in a 50 year span the turnout wasn't that great for a 50th celebration.

Comment

Working...
                                X