Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Received an email from OSU about how to purchase tickets early to the Hockey City Classic outdoor game at Minnesota. Anyone else get this info?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Received an email from OSU about how to purchase tickets early to the Hockey City Classic outdoor game at Minnesota. Anyone else get this info?
      Yup. Early purchase option before tickets officially go on sale. Must order early on October 16 or 17 using the following link and code "OhioState".

https://www.mygophersports.com/online/hockeycityclassic

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
        Yup. Early purchase option before tickets officially go on sale. Must order early on October 16 or 17 using the following link and code "OhioState".

https://www.mygophersports.com/online/hockeycityclassic
        Next logical question - is anyone going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Next logical question - is anyone going?
          It's hard enough getting people to home games LOL. I've got two going. Next decision is whether to fly or drive. We play MN in the classic on Friday night and then at their barn on Saturday night.

Comment

I would love to be there for our guys, but getting up there in years means physically unable to drive that far anymore. Flying and hotel and all that goes with it just not in the budget and the wife's health no longer allows long exposure to cold either. With age, changes in lifestyle is inevitable.

Comment

Thanks GreyGhost. That one worked. I clicked to join. Is that one of those groups where I am going to get an email every time someone posts something? If so, I want to turn that off. I don't mind notifications of someone responding to my posts but I don't want fifty emails every time someone posts something. Anyway, thanks for the link. That link worked.

Comment

Anyone here headed up to Bowling Green on Tuesday?
                Ill be there just a 20 minute drive from toledo.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  Ill be there just a 20 minute drive from toledo.
                  I think we considered you a given. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeybuckeye View Post
                    i think we considered you a given. Lol!
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      lol
                      Great, there will be at least 4 OSU fans there LOL

Comment

Guess it's about time to start chiming in again. The game(s) have been fairly broken down. Felt after we tied it Fri night lost our focus a bit which a team like Miami will pounce on. I know 5x3 is near impossible to defend. Need your goalie to be solid quick post to post. Didn't see that but it's early.

Props to the students Fri night it was electric in there hope to see that all year.

Beat BG

Comment

Justice and revenge will come... North Dakota and Denver will silence the Goggin
                          That sounds like sour grapes to me. Do a little research and you'll find that Miami has owned Denver and I think will fare just fine against North Dakota moving forward. But, we'll certainly begin to find out starting this weekend.

Look, it's no secret that Miami's program is the preeminent hockey program in the state of Ohio and will continue to be a national contender for the foreseeable future. It's now a hockey school. We pay the hockey coach a ransom (by college hockey standards) and have a first-class hockey-only facility (though I do wish it sat about 5,000 rather than only 4,000 including standing room). But, don't forget, you own football in the state, and to a much lesser degree, basketball, too. In other words, stop getting so bent out of shape about our fans, or the calls, or simply acting like spoiled brats that OSU isn't the top dog in this particular sport. Focus on your program and giving it the support it needs.

OSU has an opportunity to turn the corner. Continue the work of Markell and Osiecki and fight for a new hockey-only facility (hopefully no one else gets fired pushing for that). You can put as much shine on the Schott as you want when talking to recruits but when you average 3,000-4,000 fans in a building that seats 17,500 for hockey it just doesn't work. Is it a good building? Absolutely. But, is it a good venue for college hockey on the campus of Ohio State? Today? No. Not with the lack of status that men's hockey has as compared to football and basketball. And, you have to ask yourself...as a hockey player, would you rather attend Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Miami or Ohio State (if given the opportunity). I think the answer is that each of those schools ahead of Ohio State on that list get the checkmark. For Ohio State to compete, they're going to have to prove they're committed to hockey and firing a guy like Osiecki, hell Markell even, sends the wrong message. I hope I'm wrong, but I think OSU is going to really struggle for relevancy in the B1G. They didn't exactly light the world on fire in the CCHA competing against the likes of Ferris, Lake, BG and others.
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                            That sounds like sour grapes to me. Do a little research and you'll find that Miami has owned Denver and I think will fare just fine against North Dakota moving forward. But, we'll certainly begin to find out starting this weekend.

Look, it's no secret that Miami's program is the preeminent hockey program in the state of Ohio and will continue to be a national contender for the foreseeable future. It's now a hockey school. We pay the hockey coach a ransom (by college hockey standards) and have a first-class hockey-only facility (though I do wish it sat about 5,000 rather than only 4,000 including standing room). But, don't forget, you own football in the state, and to a much lesser degree, basketball, too. In other words, stop getting so bent out of shape about our fans, or the calls, or simply acting like spoiled brats that OSU isn't the top dog in this particular sport. Focus on your program and giving it the support it needs.

OSU has an opportunity to turn the corner. Continue the work of Markell and Osiecki and fight for a new hockey-only facility (hopefully no one else gets fired pushing for that). You can put as much shine on the Schott as you want when talking to recruits but when you average 3,000-4,000 fans in a building that seats 17,500 for hockey it just doesn't work. Is it a good building? Absolutely. But, is it a good venue for college hockey on the campus of Ohio State? Today? No. Not with the lack of status that men's hockey has as compared to football and basketball. And, you have to ask yourself...as a hockey player, would you rather attend Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Miami or Ohio State (if given the opportunity). I think the answer is that each of those schools ahead of Ohio State on that list get the checkmark. For Ohio State to compete, they're going to have to prove they're committed to hockey and firing a guy like Osiecki, hell Markell even, sends the wrong message. I hope I'm wrong, but I think OSU is going to really struggle for relevancy in the B1G. They didn't exactly light the world on fire in the CCHA competing against the likes of Ferris, Lake, BG and others.
                            Redhawk95...I'm not bent out of shape about anything and I don't care that OSU isn't top in hockey. You seem a little offended that anyone dare question the Miami program. OSU is great at many sports, hockey isn't one of them. We all admit that and there is no shame in that. It is what it is.

If you do a little research, I gave props to the Miami program, as well as its fans. Met quite a few great people in Oxford on Saturday night. But let's face facts, it's easy to fill a 2,300 seat facility.

As for the Schott, everything I stated was true. The majority of Miami fans that come to the Schott are fans that can't get tix in your own arena. So you have to come up here and be disrespectful and act like 12 year olds. I get that.

Regarding coaching, I'll support the OSU boys. They got behind Steve Rohlik and have subscribed to his style and program. Personally, I think he will be successful. Again, all out of the hands of the fans as we don't have a vote. If you read my post, I am trying to get more and more people involved to support our hockey program!

I'll also defend my comment regarding Denver and North Dakota. Only time will tell. Now, if you want to troll on about something else, I'll be glad to answer that.
                            Last edited by GreyGhost; 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post

Agree 100% with your last paragraph. You hit on our main problem ... this administration has done next to nothing to prove to top recruits that there is a commitment to hockey here. It's interesting, though, that Rohlik raved about the facility in his first press conference after being hired. Yet, several of our incoming players de-committed, so who knows. I also agree with your point that we will struggle for relevancy in the BIG as the other five schools have made a legitimate commitment to the sport. Until we make the same commitment, it will be an uphill battle to stay out of the cellar. Still, I will support Buckeye Hockey through thick and thin, just as I always have. I survived the Welsh years and Markell years, along with the still-mysterious firing of Osiecki, so I think I will survive the Rohlik era. We have some talent on this team. We'll see if the coaching staff can get them to play to their potential and stay out of the penalty box. I had hoped to be more competitive with your team last weekend, but as we saw on the ice, your program is way ahead of ours at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Agree 100% with your last paragraph. You hit on our main problem ... this administration has done next to nothing to prove to top recruits that there is a commitment to hockey here. It's interesting, though, that Rohlik raved about the facility in his first press conference after being hired. Yet, several of our incoming players de-committed, so who knows. I also agree with your point that we will struggle for relevancy in the BIG as the other five schools have made a legitimate commitment to the sport. Until we make the same commitment, it will be an uphill battle to stay out of the cellar. Still, I will support Buckeye Hockey through thick and thin, just as I always have. I survived the Welsh years and Markell years, along with the still-mysterious firing of Osiecki, so I think I will survive the Rohlik era. We have some talent on this team. We'll see if the coaching staff can get them to play to their potential and stay out of the penalty box. I had hoped to be more competitive with your team last weekend, but as we saw on the ice, your program is way ahead of ours at this point.
                                We will be in the top 6, unfortunately it will be the bottom 6. :-/

Comment

Working...
                                X