Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spreading Hockey in NYC - 9 Rink Complex Coming To The Bronx

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
    kids from westchester, sure. but it won't be many bronx kids, unless there's a lot of money on the table every year for equipment and ice time.
    the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.
    You obviously don't know much about this part of the Bronx, or Westchester for that matter. Kingsbridge is a middle class neighborhood and nearby Riverdale and Marble Hill are pretty affluent. Overall this is a nice section of the Bronx with a lot parks, the NYC Botanical Gardens and several colleges. Yonkers & Mount Vernon in Westchester are in tougher shape then some of this area. Yes, there are plenty of poor people and bad areas in the Bronx, but there is no reason that a youth hockey program can't offer some financial help, donated equipment, etc. to encourage kids to play who wouldn't normally have the resources. Overall this sounds like a great idea, though you have to wonder how the economics would work with 9 rinks going.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      You obviously don't know much about this part of the Bronx, or Westchester for that matter. Kingsbridge is a middle class neighborhood and nearby Riverdale and Marble Hill are pretty affluent. Overall this is a nice section of the Bronx with a lot parks, the NYC Botanical Gardens and several colleges. Yonkers & Mount Vernon in Westchester are in tougher shape then some of this area. Yes, there are plenty of poor people and bad areas in the Bronx, but there is no reason that a youth hockey program can't offer some financial help, donated equipment, etc. to encourage kids to play who wouldn't normally have the resources. Overall this sounds like a great idea, though you have to wonder how the economics would work with 9 rinks going.
      I haven't been past there since I graduated HS in 1964 (been a while ). It's right at the Kingsbridge Road station of the Jerome Avenue El, directly south of Lehman College (formerly NYU-uptown).
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
        I haven't been to the Bronx for years, and certainly not intending to dump on it. but as you say...9 rinks is a lot, and funding is always an issue.
        good to hear about the programs for letting city kids play hockey. wish it nothing but success.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          We may be missing the main point here. Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits. This and the larger fan base will not harm DI hockey.
          "E pur, si muove."
          I read that there will be something similar to the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation (http://www.esyhf.org/default.asp) included as part of the overall mission. I detest the Flyers but this is a very good program, and I'd love to see it succeed in the Bronx.

Comment

Working...
          X