• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    The players comments about practices are pretty telling if you ask me
    http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/2...relatedSidebar
    Yep, players pretty much summed up everything we've been saying all along about Timmay's (lack of) game preparation and practice.
    sure why not

Comment

I imagine there is either an email or a packet heading to all of the players in short order with an all new off-season training regimen, charts to keep track of activities and a list of minimum expected standards/results due on return to campus in the fall. Something a little new to most of them...

I can't wait to see the results. It'll be nice not to have a rash of early season injuries...
      Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I see 2 younger guys as Assts. Red said he was beholden to Shawn for taking a chance on him, I see him taking chances in that regard also.
        That's a great point of view.

Comment

Yes they are. But nothing we didn't suspect/know. Red is going to right the ship faster than people think. For me, just to see an agressive style, hard work, and some punishing hockey next season will keep me happy, regardless of wins/losses. With the attitude and work ethic, the wins will follow.

Comment

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....rs-hockey-east

Some comments from Martin Ouellette. Also, Gendron said he had already sent an email to players with information.
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I am really pleased with the Choice of Red Gendron as the next head coach of the Maine Hockey Team. I hope to see the Alfond sold out like it used to be in the past. The best choice was made. We need to give Red time to get the program back on track. Can't wait for the season to start.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                I like the choice. But I wish Corkum to stay on as top assistant. It goes without saying he has earned it. And I would look now towards hiring another good assistant to compliment these two. This could be outstanding if we can keep Corkum on crew with Gendron and get a strong recruiter type. I will give big thumbs up. Corkum should stay on because there isn't much for him to lose and there won't be a very long number of years(to wait-given he has made his money and/or bones). Wish he stays on. But know if he can't. But wish he would to be a part of a success story. Corkum could make it happen. To me, the best thing to give me hope as a Mainer would be Gendron and Bobby working it out. That would be a remedy to fill the seats. Think about it.
                I'm sorry but it is very difficult for an assistant coach who didn't get the HC job to remain on staff. He may have earned it but it would be extremely difficult for Corkum to not get bitter about the situation and poison the locker room. I know Maine isn't Michigan Tech but that happen once at MTU where Sertich retired and basically said hire Maroste, his top assistant. MTU chose to hire Jamie Russell and there were many bad stories about Maroste driving wedges between players and Russell. It was not a fun experience.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Am I wrong to think that if Kerluke/Corkum had any intention of staying on they'd have been at the press conference?

Comment

I think Corkum is a long shot to stay on. Red needs to bring on whomever he thinks brings the most to the table long term and not worry about continuity for the players (something that will really only be an issue for one season). Corkum has the extra baggage of being on board for the entire NCAA drought.

Wish him the best, but those are the breaks when you were an assistant to a fired coach.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      Am I wrong to think that if Kerluke/Corkum had any intention of staying on they'd have been at the press conference?
                      That was my impression. Following what shirtless wrote . . . it would be the happiest of endings if Corkum were enthusiastic about staying and Red was able to coax Grant back for a year or two to get things rolling . . . but I don't really see either.

Red's been gone for 20 years. I believe him when he says that he thinks Maine is a special place . . . but two decades away says that most of his contacts in the business, and friends, are out of state. My strong hunch is we see a clean slate.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        That was my impression. Following what shirtless wrote . . . it would be the happiest of endings if Corkum were enthusiastic about staying and Red was able to coax Grant back for a year or two to get things rolling . . . but I don't really see either.

Red's been gone for 20 years. I believe him when he says that he thinks Maine is a special place . . . but two decades away says that most of his contacts in the business, and friends, are out of state. My strong hunch is we see a clean slate.
                        After reading what some of the players said yesterday, I think its better if he goes. You don't want a situation where the players are more loyal to Corkum and are listening to him over Red. It's to high risk in my opinion.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Just stay away from anymore Yale guys. I see some quotes on here how Red will bring Yale's great conditioning to Maine. That said, Yale's fantastic conditioning program was in place 4 years before Red arrived at Yale. I am sure he will take a page from the notebook with him though. He was credited for seasoning the very young Yale D-Corps this past season, and turned Yale's Achilles Heel into an asset I met Red at Yale's Team Banquet last month and he is as genuine and down to earth as he looks. My good friend has three sons who are the stick boys for Yale and when they heard he was leaving, they were absolutely devastated. BTW, Reds not so secret nickname in the Yale stands was Captain Kangaroo! Best of luck to a great Coach.
                          Captain Kangaroo ... I thought the same thing, and haven't been to a game at Yale in a decade.
                          Gendron has very good credentials as an assistant coach, but it is always a roll of the dice if good assistants can make good head coaches. Some do, some don't.

There are very few quick fixes, outside of Bazin and Lowell. So Mainiacs will need to give the Captain some time to right the ship.

Comment

Read in one article Gendron saying how the genius of Walsh was that he hired good people and let them do their work. I think Gendron knows he'll need a good staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              Read in one article Gendron saying how the genius of Walsh was that he hired good people and let them do their work. I think Gendron knows he'll need a good staff.
                              Candidates?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                I think they are done, would guess they are cleaning out their desks as we speak. I would think Red would want his own guys in there.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X