X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
    Im sorry, I just cant read this with a straight face...

Garth Snow is the GM of the Islanders.

Garth Snow's job is to build a team that is capable of competing for a cup.

This year is the first year in a long, long time that he has caught lightning in a bottle. The Islanders almost took out the most talented team in the NHL. They have a young team with some fantastic draft picks yet to even make their NHL debut.

He has a team that has responded to Jack Capuano and all signs would indicate that this is a team on the rise.

Yet Maine fans think Garth has some ultimate allegiance to UMaine where he would tell his coach to "go and bring back the glory!"

Seriously, there is something in the water up there. You guys are on the Kool-Aid...
    I have to agree, I really can't understand the line of thinking here at all unless some people know more about this guy personally than most people.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

This year is the first year in a long, long time that he has caught lightning in a bottle. The Islanders almost took out the most talented team in the NHL. They have a young team with some fantastic draft picks yet to even make their NHL debut.

He has a team that has responded to Jack Capuano and all signs would indicate that this is a team on the rise.

Yet Maine fans think Garth has some ultimate allegiance to UMaine where he would tell his coach to "go and bring back the glory!"

Seriously, there is something in the water up there. You guys are on the Kool-Aid...
      You are assuming that Garth and/or team owners are committed to Cap. Are they? If they are, then why is he the lowest-paid coach in the league? Why does he have assistants working for him that were chosen by management, and who arguably outrank him (waves to assistant GM Doug Weight).

The Islanders emerging relevance only barely masks the fact that they remain a dysfunctional organization. If -- and this is a pure hypothetical -- Snow was privy to information that ownership was looking for an excuse to make more changes in the coaching staff, then it wouldn't be crazy at all.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

So you must think the whole Maine Mafia crew on the Islanders is just a coincidence too. Poor old New Hampshire fan...

Comment

Cap'n Jack or Jack Cap. Yeah, we're gong love it. Capuano with the bench brains, Corkum with the work ethic and Campbell working the D. I'm liking this lineup a lot. You now have your marching orders STevarino.
          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            I have to agree, I really can't understand the line of thinking here at all unless some people know more about this guy personally than most people.
            It's a strange situation down there and I'm sure Jack realizes that. The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense for him to take it. How many big-time coaching opportunities are there around Bangor? If he doesn't take this he is basically on the road for half the year until he retires.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
              You are assuming that Garth and/or team owners are committed to Cap. Are they? If they are, then why is he the lowest-paid coach in the league?
              Because the owner is a cheap bastard?

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyj65 View Post
                So you must think the whole Maine Mafia crew on the Islanders is just a coincidence too. Poor old New Hampshire fan...
                Well, they are stuck with whistlin dick for God knows how long.
                sure why not

Comment

• Cap would generate some excitement but the money doesn't make sense to me
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Someone has to have heard something...

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
                      Well, they are stuck with whistlin dick for God knows how long.
                      You can take a jab at Umile...that's fine...but unh had made the tourney 5 of the last 6 years...Maine has made it one of the last six...that speaks for itself...

Look, I hope you guys get cap...clearly it's what you want...personally though, I think it's unrealistic and a pipe dream.

Couple things stick out. First, one person said---he can spend half the year away from home until retirement or come home and coach Maine. My response to that is that he can coach the isladers for 4 or 5 more years and retire young vs. having to coach for the next 15-20... I know what most people would choose...

Second, someone asked why he was the lowest paid coach in the league...first, no one knows how much he makes---so that statement is an assumption. Second, even if he is, he was on his first nhl contract...it's not a lack of commitment on the islanders part---they gave him an opportunity and he made the most of it---now they will pay him. It makes complete and logical sense that he was one of the lowest paid coaches in the league---it was his first nhl gig! With time and success he will get more of a say in the decisions that are made.

I know the Islanders have made a lot of questionable moves to say the least...but for once things are going well...even they are smart enough to realize that...they will keep their coach....Garth will do everything in his power to keep him, pay him, and accommodate him...

Do I think the Maine administration is holding out hope that cap will come around? Yes. Do I think he will? No.

Focus on the applicants that are realistic and have expressed an interest in coaching Maine... Capuano is not one of them...

Comment

You can take a jab at Umile...that's fine...but unh had made the tourney 5 of the last 6 years...Maine has made it one of the last six...that speaks for itself...
                        I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over that echo noise coming from the empty trophy case in Durham.

Comment

If there is an echo, it is coming from an empty Alfond Arena now that your program is in the dumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat13 View Post
                            If there is an echo, it is coming from an empty Alfond Arena now that your program is in the dumps.
                            We got 2 how about you
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Dover I don't think you have any idea on who they are looking at or interviewing. I also don't think you have any idea who has expressed interest in the position.

Comment

of course, maine's next coach will have as many national championships as umile...

listen, you act as though people aren't realists that hiring cap is a long shot... and in the absence of any kind of official names being reported (remember, larry's articles have essentially included nothing more than his guesses as to candidates, and frankly, what he reads here), people are going to speculate on a myriad of options... some will be plausible, some, not so much... the only thing we know for sure is that corkum is a candidate...

that said, your opinions on the matter are no more speculative than anyone else's... how do you know capuano isn't interested? how do you know gendron is? right now you don't, no more than i do. while i think cap would be a good fit, i, like you doubt he'll be leaving the isles, but is it completely outside the realm of possibility? only cap knows that.

one thing is for certain, the search committee has been exceptional at keeping their mouths quiet on the matter....

Comment

Working...
                                X