Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..not sure if this is related.. but I was at the Bruins gm Sat night & did not see Greg Cronin behind the Maple Leaf bench.. (possibly a side trip to Orono.. speculation on my part).. on the other hand.. did run into Jerry York & he was gracious enough for quick chat (sans eye patch) & he was looking/ doing much better with his ailment.. small world..
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
      ..not sure if this is related.. but I was at the Bruins gm Sat night & did not see Greg Cronin behind the Maple Leaf bench.. (possibly a side trip to Orono.. speculation on my part).. on the other hand.. did run into Jerry York & he was gracious enough for quick chat (sans eye patch) & he was looking/ doing much better with his ailment.. small world..
      cronin was likely up above ice level working the headset... can't imagine the leafs telling him, "oh yeah, go ahead and skip our playoff game, we'll be alright"

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
        I have it on good word that Jim Tortorella is a front runner for the job and will be named a finalist. Can't really argue with his résumé. Colby's all time wins leader with a fantastic record, is in the D1 game right now with unh--so he knows the player pool, is in charge of the New England district and is a fixture within USA hockey, and finally he is a Maine alum. His resume and track record is certainly better than corkum.
        He raves daily about how he loves UNH and it is "the only place I would leave Colby for"
        Not sure how a D 3 coach and ast who coached high school for several years has a far superior resume. He doesnt.

If he did, he would be coaching the Ivan Hinkla USA World team this summer

If you think players from USHL and BCHL are going to Maine to play for a D 3 guy with no pro background etc you are valuing Maine Hockey far to highly. There has to be a reason to go there vs the other Hoceky East teams, he is not it. Not one kid has a clue who he is. He would be a solid assistant and eventual associate head coach. Will set program back for years if he gets it

He is in charge of New England by default. Mass District is what matters, New England is one of the worst pools every year and is known for politics and sending kids from programs because of the programs connections, not ther best players.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          It doesn't matter if it is deserved or not. He is guilty by association. He was standing right next to Timmay for the worst stretch of Maine hockey in decades. I think it would be pretty hard for the committee to overlook that.
          Not in my mind. Not if you knew how little influence the assistants had.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            That would be an interesting pick.
            Not sure if Jim has the personality to jump start the program. He's a tactician like Tim. Great x and o guy.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
              cronin was likely up above ice level working the headset... can't imagine the leafs telling him, "oh yeah, go ahead and skip our playoff game, we'll be alright"
              Ha. Seriously. Never mind about that Stanley Cup thingy, I gots a D1 interview to make.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Cronin was on the bench. The camera flashed to him several times when huddling with Carlyle.

Comment

..good point.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
                    Cronin was on the bench. The camera flashed to him several times when huddling with Carlyle.
                    ..i prob just missed him then. i wasn't far away.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Wow, it seems like just yesterday that the university announced the formation of a committee . . .
                      (/joking)

I'm not sure I read this as evidence that all signs point to Corkum (though that wouldn't be shocking). I do think it's safe to draw a couple of conclusions. Now that DU and OSU have filled their vacancies, the lack of urgency reflects that (1) Maine is not worried about losing a candidate to UAA, and (2) Maine's internal shortlist does not overlap UConn's in any meaningful way. (Read: either Gowz told Maine that they aren't a good match for him, or Maine has already decided that the amount of money they would need to hire not only Gwoz but his preferred assistants just isn't there.)
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        Wow, it seems like just yesterday that the university announced the formation of a committee . . .
                        (/joking)

I'm not sure I read this as evidence that all signs point to Corkum (though that wouldn't be shocking). I do think it's safe to draw a couple of conclusions. Now that DU and OSU have filled their vacancies, the lack of urgency reflects that (1) Maine is not worried about losing a candidate to UAA, and (2) Maine's internal shortlist does not overlap UConn's in any meaningful way. (Read: either Gowz told Maine that they aren't a good match for him, or Maine has already decided that the amount of money they would need to hire not only Gwoz but his preferred assistants just isn't there.)
                        At this point, who else do we really have for candidates? I think you're right on Gwoz, he's spent the last 20 years or so in Denver and probably wouldn't be very happy in a rural area like Orono. I can't see Tortorella, doesn't have much D-1 experience and didn't play any pro hockey. Pellerin has no college coaching expereince. Tremblay is intriguing, but he didn't play any pro hockey, doesn't have any ties to Maine, has no college coaching experience, plus I doubt he's ever been in a role that is very visible, no offense to the jr monarchs.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          At this point, who else do we really have for candidates? I think you're right on Gwoz, he's spent the last 20 years or so in Denver and probably wouldn't be very happy in a rural area like Orono. I can't see Tortorella, doesn't have much D-1 experience and didn't play any pro hockey. Pellerin has no college coaching expereince. Tremblay is intriguing, but he didn't play any pro hockey, doesn't have any ties to Maine, has no college coaching experience, plus I doubt he's ever been in a role that is very visible, no offense to the jr monarchs.
                          Which brings me back to priceless's point about how this process is sort of unfair to Corkum -- it's not like he's a weak candidate.

If responsibility for recruiting rests primarily with Kerluke and secondarily with Whitehead, and responsibility for tactics and motivation rests primarily with Whitehead, Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program. Hoky makes a good point - USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                            Which brings me back to priceless's point about how this process is sort of unfair to Corkum -- it's not like he's a weak candidate.

If responsibility for recruiting rests primarily with Kerluke and secondarily with Whitehead, and responsibility for tactics and motivation rests primarily with Whitehead, Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program. Hoky makes a good point - USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.
                            I think he's the best option by quite a distance. It is completely unfair for him to be held responsible for Timmy's sins. I actually have a lot of respect for him sticking it out. A lesser man would have jumped ship and he did not.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I think he's the best option by quite a distance. It is completely unfair for him to be held responsible for Timmy's sins. I actually have a lot of respect for him sticking it out. A lesser man would have jumped ship and he did not.
                              I agree.

Comment

Especially after his kid stopped playing, which was probably a big draw for him to come coach here in the first place. And as fpor his resume, he already has a gold medal from a World Juniors tournament, which would have been a big draw for USA Hockey naming him to this team.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X