This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

I'd love to knw which player that Bearbrews is. Man, its getting dicey in here.

Well, we did have a coupla Hobey finalists recruited. And there were many other excellent players. No, I'm not sold on the recruiting has been all that deficient. Getting the players to play 110% and getting them play a proper system has been a problem though. And of course, our goalies have basically sucked for years now which is an achilles tendon. No, I think you get some decent goalie coaching, you get theplayers to play with heart and passion and you continue recruiting as we have I think we are just fine. If Corkums the guy, I can warm up to it....so long as they play to win every game.
    sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post

Well, we did have a coupla Hobey finalists recruited. And there were many other excellent players. No, I'm not sold on the recruiting has been all that deficient. Getting the players to play 110% and getting them play a proper system has been a problem though. And of course, our goalies have basically sucked for years now which is an achilles tendon. No, I think you get some decent goalie coaching, you get theplayers to play with heart and passion and you continue recruiting as we have I think we are just fine. If Corkums the guy, I can warm up to it....so long as they play to win every game.
      Could not agree more. Most of the stuff about recruiting being bad is complete nonsense. Even as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. They didn't do that with no talent.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Corkum named HC of the Ivan Hlinka U18 team. That's the kind of USA Hockey stuff that can help recruiting.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
          Why is it that whenever someone comes in here posting something someone disagrees with, they automatically assume it's one of the players or coaches? Here's a question for you: Why would a current player be trashing the recruiting? He'd be talking negatively about himself and his teammates. And why would a current player be talking negatively about Corkum? They like the guy.

Maybe think a little before throwing out accusations.

Comment

I'm not sold on the idea that it's just the lack of a good system. I think there's a tendency to overweight a handful of very good recruits.

Look at Maine's top scoring senior wingers/centers over the past few years. It's not just this year. Maine basically had one very good senior class (plus one Nyquist). I think you can argue that they were sort of a rising tide that lifted the senior class before them.

Nyquist was great. Flynn was great. Abbott was great. They made a bunch of others players better. When they were juniors, they made Dee and House better, But there hasn't been much else. The talent *hasn't* been there. When Maine was rolling, there was one year (2005) when they didn't get good production from the senior class. Every other senior class was solid. Over the past several years, it's been the exact opposite. We've had one senior class that was above par.

That won't cut it at Maine. They're not going to get uber-freshmen like BC. Maine needs to keep that escalator moving.

2009: Marshall was the top senior, with 4 pts
            2010: de Kastrozza (21), Swallow (10)
            2011: Dee (35), House (35)
            2012: Abbott (62), Flynn (48)
            2013: Diamond (24), Beattie (15)

Compare that to earlier

2007: Soares and Levs, combined for 90
            2006: Moore and Damon, combined for 80
            2005: Lean year. Ronan had 20. Damon technically a Sr this season?
            2004: Shields and JAckson, combined for 77
            2003: Kariya and Lawson, combined for 87
            Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
              I'm not sold on the idea that it's just the lack of a good system. I think there's a tendency to overweight a handful of very good recruits.

Look at Maine's top scoring senior wingers/centers over the past few years. It's not just this year. Maine basically had one very good senior class. I think you can argue that they were sort of a rising tide that lifted the senior class before them.

Nyquist was great. Flynn was great. Abbott was great. They made a bunch of others players better. When they were juniors, they made Dee and House better, But there hasn't been much else. The talent *hasn't* been there. When Maine was rolling, there was one year (2005) when they didn't get good production from the senior class. Every other senior class was solid. Over the past several years, it's been the exact opposite. We've had one senior class that was above par.

2009: Marshall was the top senior, with 4 pts
              2010: de Kastrozza (21), Swallow (10)
              2011: Dee (35), House (35)
              2012: Abbott (62), Flynn (48)
              2013: Diamond (24), Beattie (15)

Compare that to earlier

2007: Soares and Levs, combined for 90
              2006: Moore and Damon, combined for 80
              2005: Lean year. Ronan had 20. Damon technically a Sr this season?
              2004: Shields and JAckson, combined for 77
              2003: Kariya and Lawson, combined for 87
              Maine hasn't had talent depth. However, if Martin Ouellette performed in 2012 as he did in 2013, Maine could possibly have been a Frozen Four team last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Maine hasn't had talent depth. However, if Martin Ouellette performed in 2012 as he did in 2013, Maine could possibly have been a Frozen Four team last year.
                Absolutely. It occurred to me when I was typing it out. Maine has had one chance in the last several years, but that one season was sabotaged by subpar goaltending. Which *has* to be there for Maine.

I don't know about the Frozen Four - single elimination tournaments are funny. But they would have had a much better chance to win that Duluth game with 2013 Ouellette. But the staff made the decision to sit Ouellette and play Sullivan. Maybe it was the right one. Maybe Ouellette wouldn't have developed faster because his head wasn't in the right place. I dunno. I'm just a nutcase.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Why is it that whenever someone comes in here posting something someone disagrees with, they automatically assume it's one of the players or coaches? Here's a question for you: Why would a current player be trashing the recruiting? He'd be talking negatively about himself and his teammates. And why would a current player be talking negatively about Corkum? They like the guy.

Maybe think a little before throwing out accusations.
                  How about you just kiss my azz ?
                  Last edited by all bear; 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM.
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    AIC could have been in the Frozen Four last year. After seeing all the top teams crap themselves, you basically could replace "Maine" with any D1 program in that sentence.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      Absolutely. It occurred to me when I was typing it out. Maine has had one chance in the last several years, but that one season was sabotaged by subpar goaltending. Which *has* to be there for Maine.

I don't know about the Frozen Four - single elimination tournaments are funny. But they would have had a much better chance to win that Duluth game with 2013 Ouellette. But the staff made the decision to sit Ouellette and play Sullivan. Maybe it was the right one. Maybe Ouellette wouldn't have developed faster because his head wasn't in the right place. I dunno. I'm just a nutcase.
                      I disagree. I think the 2010 and 2011 teams were just as good, but unfortunately the goaltending was even worse than 2012.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

It occurs to me that the 07 team in the few weeks without Ben Bishop looked a heckuva lot like the 2011 team and the bad start of the 2012 team.

The top end talent up front recently was better than it was from 04-07. Those teams had 2 bona fide NHL goalies, one of them an all-star and a possible Olympian, and they had Grant and a Campbell Blair style defense. You give a Nyquist or Abbott team that and who knows? Not to knock Sully, he played well last year, but he wasn't that.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I'd like to know how that guy knows Pellerin can recruit? His team didn't exactly tear up the AHL this season, either.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            I'd like to know how that guy knows Pellerin can recruit? His team didn't exactly tear up the AHL this season, either.
                            Exactly, how in hell can you tell if anyone can recruit unless it is from experience. Motivation, in my book , is the main ingredient to success. How well can a coach get the most out of his players. No good way of knowing who is going to be successful at recruiting as far as I can tell unless you know who has good contacts I suppose.
                            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              AIC could have been in the Frozen Four last year. After seeing all the top teams crap themselves, you basically could replace "Maine" with any D1 program in that sentence.
                              Yeah, whichever team it was that won the championship that year caught a huge break. They should have an asterisk next to their name, really.

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/3...by-end-of-may/

Here's the latest update...

Comment

Working...
                                X