X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FredDavenport
    replied
    Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Congrats and Good Luck to Red. This is a great hire!

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied
    Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
    Players don't decide who plays or who sits nor does the press so let's wait and see what Red does.
    I was referring to cutting ties with Corkum not players.

Leave a comment:

• BlackI
    replied

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    2008: (partial year, though april) Flynn, Amestoy, Francisco, Ashley, Shemansky, Andersson, Solomon, Nemec, Higgins
    2007: Abbott, Nyquist, O'Neill, Swallow, Arnold, Hegarty, Darling, Anthoine, Dimmen, Randall, Banwell
    2006: Diamond, Corkum, Van Dyk, Belmore, Sweetland, Orsini, Wilson, Carriere, De Kastrozza, Morrone
    2005: Dee, Sill, Yandle, Plaszcz,
    2004: Purcell, Bishop, Hahn, Marshall, Laise, Duffy, Clark, Lundin(G), Ryan, Hopson, Ramsey
    2003: (after july) Mike Lundin(D)
    Highlighted the ones I thought as contributors, others can correct me if they think I am wrong. But it seems like a decent track record. There are some other names that for whatever reason didn't turn out as expected but were supposed to... Dee, Yandle, Arnold, Hegarty, Amestoy, Higgins. Seems like good recruiting to me.

Leave a comment:

• Goalieboy2000
    replied

I like how they named Gendron, he looks like the right guy for the job.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I always figured we had such a great freshman class that year that he got lost in the shuffle.
    If I recall correctly, he had decent or even great first couple of years, raising high expectations for him that never came to fruition as a junior and senior. I think he had limited playing time as a freshman, but still had something like 7 or 8 goals.
    Last edited by rufus; 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Who did Guy Perron recruit? He was briefly head recruiter when Grant shifted to volunteer assistant, IIRC, and that time in my mind coincides with Wes Clark being the team's leading scorer....so I guess my question is why do we want him in that role? I don't remember him getting much talent for the women's team when he was HC either, budget issues and all that aside. Good hockey mind, good on the board I'm sure but can he recruit?
    I think recruiting was probably a cut above where it has been recently, though not necessarily by leaps and bounds. Except 2007. Guy kicked all kinds of arse that year. Especially if you include Arnold (his leaving is more on Tim than Guy). 2006 wasn't as strong, though Diamond and Van Dyk had solid careers. Hard to say what Kelen Corkum might have done. Sweetland was pretty good in his short time.

Maine probably didn't have a ton of roster spots open when he first took the job, because Maine didn't have many recruits from late 2003 through 2005. The Lundin brothers worked out all right, Bishop, Dee, Hahn, etc. Not bad, but not 2007. And Maine might have had 2 years out of Purcell. It wasn't Guy's decision to put him off for a year.

Year of commitment (not entry)

2008: (partial year, though april) Flynn, Amestoy, Francisco, Ashley, Shemansky, Andersson, Solomon, Nemec, Higgins
    2007: Abbott, Nyquist, O'Neill, Swallow, Arnold, Hegarty, Darling, Anthoine, Dimmen, Randall, Banwell
    2006: Diamond, Corkum, Van Dyk, Belmore, Sweetland, Orsini, Wilson, Carriere, De Kastrozza, Morrone
    2005: Dee, Sill, Yandle, Plaszcz,
    2004: Purcell, Bishop, Hahn, Marshall, Laise, Duffy, Clark, Lundin(G), Ryan, Hopson, Ramsey
    2003: (after july) Mike Lundin(D)
    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 05-29-2013, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Grant as a volunteer - even if he is in Florida - will be same as Dave Alexander on Skype.
    Except Grant is good at what he does. There was a story about him coming back off the road after being gone a while, took one look at Yeats in practice, who was still having trouble corralling rebounds, and saying to him, "You haven't been doing the exercises I gave you, have you?"

Leave a comment:

• all bear
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    Never mind Timmay. That's over. Done. We got our wish.

Don't post his name ever again on this forum board. Not you all bear, just all of us in this Maine Hockey nuthouse. Name all the good things that can happen to Maine Hockey by putting his name in another post here... That's what I thought... None.
    Yes sir.

Leave a comment:

• all bear
    replied

We should have 100,000 bumper stickers made up for the new era of UMaine hockey, no ?

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

I remember Wayne Conlan had some wheels

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    My neighbor Wayne Conlan comes to mind, could have been a pro, but would rather hunt and fish up there. Good kid though.
    I always figured we had such a great freshman class that year that he got lost in the shuffle.

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Don't even get me started. I have never encountered anyone with so much talent that just didn't care enough to develop it. He took a gift that others would kill for and threw it away.
    My neighbor Wayne Conlan comes to mind, could have been a pro, but would rather hunt and fish up there. Good kid though.

Leave a comment:

• Pucknut
    replied

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    i agree. i think he wants his own guys in there and given that neither were in attendance yesterday, one can only assume that to be the case... red's comment "To dismiss them without talking to them would be inappropriate" suggests that the decision has been made to dismiss them.

i also agree that when you've got a couple players saying "we wanted bob," you have little choice but to cut ties....
    Players don't decide who plays or who sits nor does the press so let's wait and see what Red does.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    That's how I remember the short Perron era. Not sure why he would be a top selection, he couldn't recruit.
    Same way I remember it but its possible he brought in players that Tim didn't like but could have made contributions or Tim couldn't close the deal?

Leave a comment:

• Runsub5
    replied

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    ............Gendron has very good credentials as an assistant coach, but it is always a roll of the dice if good assistants can make good head coaches. Some do, some don't.

There are very few quick fixes, outside of Bazin and Lowell. So Mainiacs will need to give the Captain some time to right the ship.
    You make a very good point. It's the roll of the dice in many ways. I have wondered why it has taken so many years for him to finally make the transition to head coach. I hope he is very successful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X