Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyquist just helped to tie things up with a great assist, 1-1, in the 3rd!

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Beat me to it!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        One of my personal stories that I can share as it was one of the few times I got to talk to Grant. I had been following Maine hockey way too closely but didn't know any better at the time. So as bold as I was and when Grant happened to come around and shake hands with the die hards in the setting, I asked him some very pressing questions. Most of which he handled with ease. Then I asked about a goalie that was recruited and mentioned what I had for a scouting report on him. He kind of looked at me like either I was crazy or he was shocked at how I knew this much(looking back on it, it was some of both). But he went on to say that he was very impressed with his goaltending and he had more of a stand up style. He mentioned that he needed a few corrections to his positioning out of the crease and glove coverage and he would be a very good goaltender for Maine. Frank Doyle.

But I won't bore you with much more. But I suppose we all know about the Penner story. To make a long story much shorter, my favorite quote of all time was from Penner... he said "If it wasn't for Grant Standbrook I'd probably be pumping gas in Winkler, Manitoba". Forgive me if I get his home town incorrect, but this is what I am recalling. But that was a gem from his hard work scouring... Penner has two Stanley cups and is trying for his third last time I checked.

Man, was Maine ever lucky to have had Grant Standbrook. What a gentleman. And I hope he goes down in the Maine hockey hall of fame right there with Walsh as a guy that built the Maine program.
        Grant Standbrook is a class act. Very happily semi-retired in Naples, Florida. He was still helping Montgomery on a part-time basis in the USHL. Wonder if he would have continued to do the same if Montgomery had gone to Maine, instead of Denver?

Smart programs don't give guys like Grant a gold watch and a pat on the back. They keep them involved as much as they want to be involved.
        He did have a good relationship and was in regular contact with Whitehead.
        No idea if he will stay involved with Montgomery, or if Gendron will call his way.

Comment

In an interview with WJAB, Gendron mentioned that he's already reached out to Standbrook, telling him that his assistance would be incredibly appreciated, on whatever terms he might agree to.

The gist of it: Gendron would love to work with Standbrook, the two have had at least some contact, but Red isn't counting on Standbrook being available/interested.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Goalieboy2000 View Post
            I like how they named Gendron, he looks like the right guy for the job.
            Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. The Gendron era began yesterday. Good time to join.

Comment

Lets hope that Standbrook assist in some way for Gendron and UMaine Hockey,I think as a Consultant and Part time Volunteer Assistant would be valuable to all,Gendron/Players and the UMaine fans to know he's back in his rightful place: Alfond Arena...lets hope also down the road that his "NAME" goes up with the #'s 8-9-19 and SW...I don't know what they'd put but he has earned it as a Coach and a down to earth Human being...with CLASS.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                I think recruiting was probably a cut above where it has been recently, though not necessarily by leaps and bounds. Except 2007. Guy kicked all kinds of arse that year. Especially if you include Arnold (his leaving is more on Tim than Guy). 2006 wasn't as strong, though Diamond and Van Dyk had solid careers. Hard to say what Kelen Corkum might have done. Sweetland was pretty good in his short time.

Maine probably didn't have a ton of roster spots open when he first took the job, because Maine didn't have many recruits from late 2003 through 2005. The Lundin brothers worked out all right, Bishop, Dee, Hahn, etc. Not bad, but not 2007. And Maine might have had 2 years out of Purcell. It wasn't Guy's decision to put him off for a year.

Year of commitment (not entry)

2008: (partial year, though april) Flynn, Amestoy, Francisco, Ashley, Shemansky, Andersson, Solomon, Nemec, Higgins
                2007: Abbott, Nyquist, O'Neill, Swallow, Arnold, Hegarty, Darling, Anthoine, Dimmen, Randall, Banwell
                2006: Diamond, Corkum, Van Dyk, Belmore, Sweetland, Orsini, Wilson, Carriere, De Kastrozza, Morrone
                2005: Dee, Sill, Yandle, Plaszcz,
                2004: Purcell, Bishop, Hahn, Marshall, Laise, Duffy, Clark, Lundin(G), Ryan, Hopson, Ramsey
                2003: (after july) Mike Lundin(D)
                Lundin's class and the Bishop/Purcell class were still Grant as I remember. What I chalk up to Perron is the disastrous Class of 2005, and having Yandle even in there is kind of misleading, as I remember he was committed for about 3 weeks after he didn't get into UNH and everybody knew he was going to the Q.....Everybody used to bash Bob's EJ/Monarchs connections for all the guys listed after that, now they're a credit to Guy? Seems like his recruits were a lot of Sweetland types that didn't stick around, and his recruits for the women's team when he was in charge there were the same kind of kids.....now maybe the kids leaving was all Whitehead's fault and that might change under Red, but I wouldn't be really excited to see Perron back.

IIRC Kerluke and Grant found Gus in Sweden not Guy....

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

WABI-TV5 was reporting this morning that assistant coaches Kerluke and Corkum were contacted yesterday and asked whether or not they had any interest in staying on as assistants if offered. Kerluke said that he wasn't going to come back and already had plans that were in the works, and Corkum stated that he would like to stay with the team, if Gendron allows...

I do like Corkum, and won't ever fault him for speaking his mind, but we now know that it's out of his hands now. As much as I'd love to see him back, I support Coach Gendron and whatever he decides is best for the program in this transition phase.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Lundin's class and the Bishop/Purcell class were still Grant as I remember. What I chalk up to Perron is the disastrous Class of 2005, and having Yandle even in there is kind of misleading, as I remember he was committed for about 3 weeks after he didn't get into UNH and everybody knew he was going to the Q.....Everybody used to bash Bob's EJ/Monarchs connections for all the guys listed after that, now they're a credit to Guy? Seems like his recruits were a lot of Sweetland types that didn't stick around, and his recruits for the women's team when he was in charge there were the same kind of kids.....now maybe the kids leaving was all Whitehead's fault and that might change under Red, but I wouldn't be really excited to see Perron back.

Fair points, all. Still, I don't think you want to comb through Kerluke's classes that closely

Bottom line: Hope Red finds a good one. Maine needs to do better than it has over the past 8 years.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      I may be wrong, but I seem to recall one of the younger Kariyas had quite a bit to do with Gus ending up in Maine...

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                        WABI-TV5 was reporting this morning that assistant coaches Kerluke and Corkum were contacted yesterday and asked whether or not they had any interest in staying on as assistants if offered. Kerluke said that he wasn't going to come back and already had plans that were in the works, and Corkum stated that he would like to stay with the team, if Gendron allows...

I do like Corkum, and won't ever fault him for speaking his mind, but we now know that it's out of his hands now. As much as I'd love to see him back, I support Coach Gendron and whatever he decides is best for the program in this transition phase.
                        To me, Corkum did not do enough to warrant a second chance.........I know in some ways he was pretty powerless, but if he couldn't even stand up to Whitehead and impact the team more positively..........????

Comment

I don't really know if I think it would be a good hire or not---I am pretty neutral on him---but I would guess that Red will hire Len Quesnelle to be his associate head coach. Len and Red are good friends and Len has a ton of experience. After that I would bet that Red will focus on a young guy who is hungry to recruit.

Comment

apparently, this is kerluke's new adventure in partnership with david alexander

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/3...-help-goalies/

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              apparently, this is kerluke's new adventure in partnership with david alexander

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/3...-help-goalies/
                              That actually sounds kind of cool.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                That actually sounds kind of cool.
                                Agreed. It's nice they're keeping it somewhat affordable. I hope it works out great for both of them.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X