This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Was there any mention of a Time Frame in naming the two Assistants?.
    2 weeks...

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I hope you're right but fear it could be more complicated than that. A lot has changed since it was consistently packed.
      They have to get prices back into realistic levels. A $50 seat is not realistic. Not charging $10 for parking would be a good thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        larry's article...

saying all of the right things as far as i'm concerned...

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/2...to-glory-days/
        This is very good. I like what I am reading and it seems like a breath of fresh air. I like how he said he isn't concerned with being the second choice. He is right it doesn't matter. And being second to JCapuano isn't exactly a shot, given he beat out a lot of other qualified candidates for the position. Being second to a guy that has coached the Islanders from a disgrace into a playoff caliber team isn't a small feat, and JCapuano has shown his abilities to be top notch.

I like how Gendron appears to be all about hard work. And that when you work hard things come to you. I think this could be a very "Walsh" like guy behind the bench.

As for Chuck, I understand your point and respect your opinion/s. However, Corkum has shown passion for Maine hockey if nothing else. My opinion is that he was a loyal assistant to the point where he had to bite his tongue. And he felt necessary to distance himself from the Whitehead era. That may have been the best thing he has done if he cares about Maine hockey and wants to be a part of it going forward. Now, we are talking about a guy that has made a lot of money in the NHL and is choosing to coach, more than likely, for the love of the game. I don't know what you are smoking, but for me - I feel very comfortable with having a guy like that behind the bench of the team I love to cheer for. No offense, but it seems with the influx of comments from UNH fans it has turned from a morbid curiosity to fear. Mainuhs will take that as a compliment.

Getting back to the focus now, it will be very interesting to see how the assistants are picked and assembled. My guess is that Corkum is a good hire. My reasoning is that his experience as a long time NHL veteran will be a very positive influence on player development and recruiting. And I think the other choice as an assistant would have to be someone skilled at talent evaluation and recruiting. MacDonald might be a very good choice, but I am not sure this is a reality. Let's say it is... would Gendron/Corkum/MacDonald impress people?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I wouldn't even give him an interview. If I *had* to as a courtesy to my new employers, we would have a nice chat, and I wouldn't retain him.

As a fan of an opposing program, I hate to admit it, but I do think your committee got this hire (Gendron) right. The only way they could mess it up now would be to force an unwanted assistant(s) on him as a condition of the hire, and my guess is that Coach Gendron wouldn't have taken the job in the first place under those conditions.
          I find it odd that you've posted more speculation about the effect of Corkums letter than any Maine fan has. It's spring and there's tons to do outside if you don't feel like focusing on your own team, but day after day to write post after post obsessing about a letter that has nothing to do with your team? That's just odd IMHO. If you were a Maine fan, you'd probably understand that what Corkum had to say, under the circumstances, was about as polite a way anyone could have addressed the obvious problems, short of just whitewashing it all and issuing a standard, PC, letter that said nothing and referred to the big fade that our hockey has done as an "unfortunate occurrence" that just happened and nobody knows why or whose fault it was. We've seen way too much of that sort of BS as far as I'm concerned so I liked the way his letter was truthful and refreshing. I admire the way Corkum played, and after watching Whitehead in action for tooooo long, I'm amazed that Corkum held it in as well as he did. I can't imagine anyone who really knows hockey and also knows what's been going in Orono for the past decade or so would see Corkums letter as being very significant in deciding whether he gets hired as an assistant to Gendron.

I do agree with you that Gendron should not be forced to hire him and if he's got someone he thinks is better in mind, then BC will have to find another job and that's just the way it is and I'm sure he well understands that. But that doesn't take away from my admiration for him as a player and as a UMaine assistant coach, and for the way he handled his part of the transition to our new head coach. Whether it's at UMaine or somewhere else, Bob Corkum has a LOT to offer his next hockey team. Either way, I wish him well.

Comment

Blaise MacDonald was at the press conference for whatever it is worth...
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              They have to get prices back into realistic levels. A $50 seat is not realistic. Not charging $10 for parking would be a good thing too.
              I totally agree about the $50 seats, but I don't mind the $10 parking too much because I wouldn't consider paying that and it's not mandatory like buying some sort of ticket is. There's always the steam plant lot, and I'm sure we've both spent enough time around the Orono campus and the Alfond to be aware of places closer than the steam plant where you can sort of make your own parking place for free. I consider the parking to be a fun part of the adventure of going to a hockey game at the Alfond, and I always make it to the light at the end of College Ave before the $10 parking people do!

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                That's what has prompted the speculation of a possible role for him at Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  So was I .

Introduced myself outside to Red before the circus started, seems like a nice guy who really wants to be in Orono. Have to like that.

If Corkum and Blaise are the Assts, who is the recruiter? Blaise? I have no doubt Red can seal the deal with potential recruits.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    So was I
                    You're going to be Red's assistant?

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                    I totally agree about the $50 seats, but I don't mind the $10 parking too much because I wouldn't consider paying that and it's not mandatory like buying some sort of ticket is. There's always the steam plant lot, and I'm sure we've both spent enough time around the Orono campus and the Alfond to be aware of places closer than the steam plant where you can sort of make your own parking place for free. I consider the parking to be a fun part of the adventure of going to a hockey game at the Alfond, and I always make it to the light at the end of College Ave before the $10 parking people do!
                    We park at Fogler or I take a cab from the hotel

I don't really care about pricing myself, since I usually get comps, but if we want the packed house again, bring down the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      So was I .

Introduced myself outside to Red before the circus started, seems like a nice guy who really wants to be in Orono. Have to like that.

If Corkum and Blaise are the Assts, who is the recruiter? Blaise? I have no doubt Red can seal the deal with potential recruits.
                      I know, but I mean someone that gets on plains and scours rinks... and more than likely both assistants would have to. Hard to find another Grant that loves to scour rinks. My thought is, with Corkum coaching the us hockey team - and all. And with MacDonald already being well accustomed to it - the travel, that is. And both hungry for success and potential head coaching opportunities in the future - it might be a good combo. Let's face it - MacDonald has had a lot of success at recruiting and has experience as a head coach. Despite some moments of lack of good judgment, he has a lot of things he can point to - and experience he can draw on. A great opportunity to rise up again. And with Corkum - an opportunity to distance and distinguish himself. Line himself up to be a potential Maine head coach someday. It may be optimism. Then again, it may make a lot of sense. This could be a very effective and deadly coaching staff from my limited view. But...

Comment

Red is such a class act. Gave Whitehead a nod too, not that he needed to, but it was definitely a gentleman's move.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          You're going to be Red's assistant?
                          I am not sure I can advocate that. This would cause a he11 of a lot of confusion. We would have to have two red's... Wally would be big red and Gendron would be little red. God help us if there is success - and then as time sets in - everyone would want more red. And you can see how convoluted this would become.

Let's keep Wally holding up the supports at one end and doing his best to keep the refs in line. Our 6th man.

Comment

I foresee good things for a team with a coach named Red.
                            Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              That's what has prompted the speculation of a possible role for him at Maine.
                              Waterville isn't that far away. Maybe he is friends with Red.

Comment

• Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
                                I foresee good things for a team with a coach named Red.
                                Blaise and Red are buddies...Blaise' isn't going anywhere to be an assistant...he was asked to interview at uconn and I am all but certain he interviewed for the head job at Maine...he was there supporting his buddy and is very excited about his first recruiting class at Colby.

I have it on good word that Red is going to be interviewing people for his staff in the very near future. Not saying its a death sentence for kerluke and corkum, but.....it would certainly appear that he is not planning on keeping them... Red will hire the best people and those who give Maine the best chance at winning...

Comment

Working...
                                X