This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

So...it looks like, from the Bangor Daily article, Red will talk with Bob and with Dan about their jobs.

Hey Bob...This would be a good time to explain to Red about your letter to the masses. You don't owe anyone on here an explanation. We get it.

Gendron fits the bill for what "we" on here were asking for; Maine ties, recruiting experience, success at multiple levels, ties to "The Season"...

My wish list: Gendron, Corkum and Perron...
    Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      I like the choice. But I wish Corkum to stay on as top assistant. It goes without saying he has earned it.
      Not sure what "goes without saying". There's a long line of assistant coaches who were with losing programs who are now out of D-1 hockey, or working at lower/other levels of hockey, or out of hockey entirely. Obviously you have positive feelings about Corkum, and his involvement in the UMaine program as a player and a coach. But let's not overstate what he's "earned".

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      To me, the best thing to give me hope as a Mainer would be Gendron and Bobby working it out. That would be a remedy to fill the seats. Think about it.
      See, that's the problem. Coach Gendron shouldn't have to "work it out" when it comes to hiring his own staff as an incoming head coach. It's not his issue that Corkum didn't get the job. But let's just play make-believe, and walk a few questions into a would-be interview between Coach Gendron and Coach Corkum:

RG: Howdy Bob. How's things?

BC: Supah, Red. Congrats BTW on getting the job. I hope I can help you out next season.

RG: Let's talk about that then. I know you wanted to be on this side of the desk for this interview, and I respect all that you've done for the University and this program in the past as a player and as a coach. But I noticed you had some interesting things to say a few weeks ago about Coach Whitehead after his departure. Care to elaborate?

BC: Sure, Red. You know, you coached with Coach Walsh in the past, and I played for Coach Walsh. We both know the "Black Bear Way", and I also knew Coach Whitehead wasn't thinking along those same lines, and running things differently than when you guys and Grant were running the show. I kept my mouth shut, did what Tim asked me to do, and was a good soldier. It was frustrating at times. So when Coach Whitehead was fired, and they hired me as an interim coach, I wanted to make sure everyone knew I wasn't going to go down the Coach Whitehead path. I want to do something more like the good old days with Coach Walsh ...

RG: (to himself) He just said "want" and not "wanted". Hmmmm ...

BC: ... where we play hard and with an edge, and teach kids the right way to play. Make them into future pros, or at least give them future pro careers at some level. But play the game the right way, and the way that will pack out Alfond, just like we did in the old days.

RG: (to himself) He's making assumptions about how my program is going to play. Let's test that ...

RG: Thanks for the insight, Bob. Listen, I know we all have ideas and asiprations about the "right" way and the "wrong" way, and sometimes those things change over time. Heck, look at the way the Black Bears won back in the '90's, and compare that with how the Devils won a decade ago, and more recently with how Yale won last season. I'm not sure there is ever a set magic formula that lasts forever. Other than death and taxes, anyway. I've spent almost my entire coaching career in your shoes, working for a lot of different guys with different ideas, and I've seen success come in a lot of different ways. I've also seen teams come up short, and I have a lot of thoughts and ideas why that might have happened. But I don't think I've ever come out in print being critical of one of my superiors - even after the fact.

BC: Understood. I did what I thought I had to, under the circumstances. Heck, I bleed Maine blue. Nothing I said was inaccurate, and I think most UMaine fans would agree.

RG: Understood as well, Bob. But listen - let's cut to the chase. I've been a career assistant - just like you are now - for a LOT longer than you have, and at times I've had to bite my tongue and go along with something that my bosses have said that I disagreed with to the core. It happens to everyone at some point, in all walks of life, and while maybe no one cares when some junior associate patent attorney disagrees with a senior partner in their firm to the point that it shows up on Twitter, Facebook or the Daily News, in our business, that does happen, and public opinion does count for something in our "business". So, at the end of the day, tell me why after all these years of assisting other folks' programs, and finally getting the only head coaching job I ever really wanted this late in my career, how is it that I can or should trust that I'll have your 100% backing??

BC: ... (this either makes or breaks it) ...

IF you are Coach Corkum, how do you answer that in a way that erases any doubts Coach Gendron might have about your loyalty?

My apologies for taking some liberties with some of the phrasing (i.e. "Black Bear Way") here.
      Last edited by Chuck Murray; 05-28-2013, 09:00 AM.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Corkum and Kerluke failed to recruit more than 1 or 2 quality players each year. In my opinion they should also go. I am sure Red has his own network of potential coaches who have far more connections to talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          IF you are Coach Corkum, how do you answer that in a way that erases any doubts Coach Gendron might have about your loyalty?
          There is no single correct answer to that question. The loyalty, while it would be nice to be with the coach, really belongs with the program and the stakeholders in the program. Bob has shown that he can "toe the line" even though he has significant reservations about the directives coming from the top. He also showed his passion for the program and desire to see these kids succeed. Did he choose the right forum to voice his opinion? Maybe, maybe not. His choosing this forum and the Facebook forum to publish his letter kind of tipped his (and Tim's) hand as to just how much the (former) coaching staff actually read/paid attention to what was said here....or at least to how much what was said actually got into Tim's head. (Enough that he gave us all a collective nickname)

Flipping the question to you...what would BC have to say to pass muster for you?
          Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

i think this whole bob corkum letter as it relates to any possible gendron/corkum relationship is a bit overblown... the reality is that red knows that bob was a finalist for the position and that in of itself will need to be addressed... essentially a conversation that is simply, "bob, i know you wanted the position, but i need to know before i extend you, that you are going to be able to handle me coming in as your new boss and that i have 100% support from you in that regard."

that conversation is going to happen. if bob convinces red that he is on board 100% and that there will not be any difficulties, then any concerns over "the letter" will similarly be put to rest...

i still think kerluke needs to go. can keep one, but not both.

Comment

Channel 2 in Bangor and 6 in Portland should have the most complete coverage of the press conference and other events. I'd recommend tuning in.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                i think this whole bob corkum letter as it relates to any possible gendron/corkum relationship is a bit overblown... the reality is that red knows that bob was a finalist for the position and that in of itself will need to be addressed... essentially a conversation that is simply, "bob, i know you wanted the position, but i need to know before i extend you, that you are going to be able to handle me coming in as your new boss and that i have 100% support from you in that regard."

that conversation is going to happen. if bob convinces red that he is on board 100% and that there will not be any difficulties, then any concerns over "the letter" will similarly be put to rest...

i still think kerluke needs to go. can keep one, but not both.
                Corkum did the absolute right thing with his letter. Chuckie's all effed up yet again. And we dont need to send Timmay a sympathy card.
                sure why not

Comment

The talent hasn't been there. Red should bring in someone to take a lead role in recruiting. If he thinks it would be best to retain one of the current assistants/associates, I have no problem with that. But while the rebuilding job is off to a good start, it's only half done.

$.02
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

anyone know if WLBZ or WCSH will be broadcasting/streaming the presser? or perhaps something from GBB.Com?

edit:
                    http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/maine.portal#
                    Last edited by gscott13; 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      The talent hasn't been there. Red should bring in someone to take a lead role in recruiting. If he thinks it would be best to retain one of the current assistants/associates, I have no problem with that. But while the rebuilding job is off to a good start, it's only half done.

$.02
                      Completely disagree with this. Lack of talent at goaltender, yes, but not the rest of the team. Even for as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. How do you pull that off with no talent?
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                        anyone know if WLBZ or WCSH will be broadcasting/streaming the presser? or perhaps something from GBB.Com?

edit:
                        http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/maine.portal#
                        92.9 FM dale and Clem are here people starting to sit down
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          92.9 FM dale and Clem are here people starting to sit down
                          thanks. video from gbb kept buffering

Comment

blaise mcdonald in attendance.... interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Completely disagree with this. Lack of talent at goaltender, yes, but not the rest of the team. Even for as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. How do you pull that off with no talent?
                              You pull that off when other teams don't respect you enough to bring their best. There were much more talented Maine teams that never swept BC at BC, but they didn't have the luxury of anonymity.
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• "Did Maine hockey get better today? Did I get better today?"
                                He said all the right things. Now the job begins.

Comment

Working...
                                X