• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied
    Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

[QUOTE=Pink Pony;5734440]
    Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    You make a lot of valid points about Corkum and after reading this mornings BDNews and Gendrons search for 2 New Assistants in which he has had as many as 20 Applicants...he states he would like a Older Assistant and a Younger Assistant.../QUOTE]

Any names.
    Just idle rumors,nothing itched in stone...I did hear Corkum was still interested in coming back.

Leave a comment:

• Pink Pony
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ma#1ne Hky;5733992]You make a lot of valid points about Corkum and after reading this mornings BDNews and Gendrons search for 2 New Assistants in which he has had as many as 20 Applicants...he states he would like a Older Assistant and a Younger Assistant.../QUOTE]

Any names.

Leave a comment:

• Goalieboy2000
    replied

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
    I promise you WLBZ has no HD truck. When I worked there 15 years ago, they had NO production truck, period. Shortly after I left, that place was gutted and runs mostly out of Portland.
    I'm not sure if WFVX/WVII has an HD Truck, but if they do, I'm all for them airing Maine Hockey.

Leave a comment:

• BlackI
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    You lost me here ...
    Good. I feel great about you being lost.

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

It said former right in the article regarding Corkum. He's done.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    Bobby, despite his NHL playing accolades ...
    You lost me here ...

Leave a comment:

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied

Well this is how I see it. This team started the regular season losing 9 of 10 games. Ended the regular season going 6-3-4. The competition over the last 13 was stronger than the first 10, even at a time when competition in the league is fierce.

Having said that, the loss to graduation doesn't seem as bad as it has been in the past. So with no coaching changes, I would expect a natural improvement where a team that battled to be in the hockey east playoffs now is in the mix in the middle battling for home ice. My reasoning is that Maine may not be graduating as many losses, and they young talent can play more of a significant role. We can expect relative improvement from this logical and linear reasoning.

Now, it has been stated that Red believes heavily on off ice programs and is a stickler for conditioning. There goes some more relative improvement in the sense that I don't see how a well conditioned team would start of losing 9 of the first 10 games.

Now, I have read on here where Corkum had guys skating hard in the mid season despite Whitehead not being there. Read a blurb, not sure if it is true. And if you look at how Corkum played, he had to work his butt off to make his way in the NHL.

This combined with player accounts where they respect and like Corkum.

Now, Corkum has gone on record as saying he bleeds blue and will do everything to bring Maine back to where it should be. Also, he has the opportunity to coach elite players on a national stage with this US Hockey team.

Finally, both of these guys have had experiences with two clubs gaining success. Yet, somehow despite their involvement in both they seemingly never overlapped. But that might not mean they don't have a lot in common and more than likely they've worked with a lot of the same people.

Bobby, despite his NHL playing accolades, is still relatively unproven for a head coaching position. But because of his playing career he has a lot to offer from a development perspective. However, he has had to work under a head coach that evidently wasn't steering the ship on course for progress. And perhaps through no fault of his own received "neg rep" in part for being associated with the lack of proper steering.

Red has a ton of coaching experience and has his first shot at being the head coach. While he is familiar with Maine in general, he is inheriting a very
    new-to-him" team. And Corkum can offer that continuity. In addition, Corkum evidently has the respect of the players that Red would be relying on.

All of these things, to me anyway, add up to Corkum being a very solid hire for an assistant. I think it benefits both guys. If it doesn't work out, I would have to think there is a personality conflict where perhaps Corkum is too strong of a personality to accept only being an assistant at this point. But, this opportunity can serve a couple of purposes for him - in my mind; a chance to be part of success(success breeds success), and a chance to naturally accelerate to a postion of strength where a promotion to head coach goes from being a question to a matter of timing.

For these reasons, I am optimistic that Red will hire Corkum. But given what I've read here most people seemingly don't think it is a reality. Well, I can just hope for it. But if I were Red, I would think this makes all the sense in the world - that is, to hire Bobby. And if I were Bobby - I would think this makes all the sense in the world - that is to work under Red for a while.

Thoughts?
    You make a lot of valid points about Corkum and after reading this mornings BDNews and Gendrons search for 2 New Assistants in which he has had as many as 20 Applicants...he states he would like a Older Assistant and a Younger Assistant...I guess you would have to put Corkum in the older bracket..? My thoughts were that Corkum was less then a 50% chance,but after you points of thought and reading the BDNews I think that Corkum has a lot of upside to Gendron and could very well be one of the Assistants...one thing for sure we know this Program under Gendron is working to make it better...you can see that Gendron is driven and knows that these 2 hires are so very important to his first year...so time will tell...but after the last week or so you have to feel a lot better in the direction of Maine Hockey.

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied

Now, Corkum has gone on record as saying he bleeds blue and will do everything to bring Maine back to where it should be. Also, he has the opportunity to coach elite players on a national stage with this US Hockey team.

For these reasons, I am optimistic that Red will hire Corkum. But given what I've read here most people seemingly don't think it is a reality. Well, I can just hope for it. But if I were Red, I would think this makes all the sense in the world - that is, to hire Bobby. And if I were Bobby - I would think this makes all the sense in the world - that is to work under Red for a while.

Thoughts?
    I like Bob.....I think what you say makes sense. I think if he doesn't return to Maine he'll be an asset where-ever he lands.

Having said that, I think we saw during the Whitehead regime that partnership and the ability to work together, off each other and listen to each other is really important in a head coach/assistant relationship......so I think its equally important for Red to pick someone that fits that bill with him.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
    Yeah, like share weathermen/women when someone is on vacation. I can't see WCSH giving up any NBC programming to air Maine Hockey. Never happen.
    Saturday night on NBC is going to be all repeats of prime time shows and special events. Right now you're looking at five Saturdays and a Sunday matinee vs UHN. That game is scheduled for the barren TV wasteland of the week between the Championship Games and Super Bowl. There are five Friday games which WABI did not carry traditionally and probably whoever the local carrier is likely will not carry them either. Those games - particularly BU and Providence - may end up being carried by CBS/NBCSN/NESN.

Leave a comment:

• BlackI
    replied

Well this is how I see it. This team started the regular season losing 9 of 10 games. Ended the regular season going 6-3-4. The competition over the last 13 was stronger than the first 10, even at a time when competition in the league is fierce.

Having said that, the loss to graduation doesn't seem as bad as it has been in the past. So with no coaching changes, I would expect a natural improvement where a team that battled to be in the hockey east playoffs now is in the mix in the middle battling for home ice. My reasoning is that Maine may not be graduating as many losses, and they young talent can play more of a significant role. We can expect relative improvement from this logical and linear reasoning.

Now, it has been stated that Red believes heavily on off ice programs and is a stickler for conditioning. There goes some more relative improvement in the sense that I don't see how a well conditioned team would start of losing 9 of the first 10 games.

Now, I have read on here where Corkum had guys skating hard in the mid season despite Whitehead not being there. Read a blurb, not sure if it is true. And if you look at how Corkum played, he had to work his butt off to make his way in the NHL.

Finally, both of these guys have had experiences with two clubs gaining success. Yet, somehow despite their involvement in both they seemingly never overlapped. But that might not mean they don't have a lot in common and more than likely they've worked with a lot of the same people.

Bobby, despite his NHL playing accolades, is still relatively unproven for a head coaching position. But because of his playing career he has a lot to offer from a development perspective. However, he has had to work under a head coach that evidently wasn't steering the ship on course for progress. And perhaps through no fault of his own received "neg rep" in part for being associated with the lack of proper steering.

Red has a ton of coaching experience and has his first shot at being the head coach. While he is familiar with Maine in general, he is inheriting a very
    new-to-him" team. And Corkum can offer that continuity. In addition, Corkum evidently has the respect of the players that Red would be relying on.

All of these things, to me anyway, add up to Corkum being a very solid hire for an assistant. I think it benefits both guys. If it doesn't work out, I would have to think there is a personality conflict where perhaps Corkum is too strong of a personality to accept only being an assistant at this point. But, this opportunity can serve a couple of purposes for him - in my mind; a chance to be part of success(success breeds success), and a chance to naturally accelerate to a postion of strength where a promotion to head coach goes from being a question to a matter of timing.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Originally posted by Goalieboy2000 View Post
    Well, There's always WFVX/WVII. But remember, WLBZ did broadcast the Black Bears in 1992.
    That was when Maine Broadcasting Company, a private family company, owned WCSH and WLBZ. They used to pay to have a nice freelance production truck come in for the games. They were bought by Gannett, which owns USA Today, shortly after I started there around 1997 or 1998. Changes things like that, not for the better.

Leave a comment:

• ck1969
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    WLBZ and WCSH do a lot together. If WLBZ gets the contract I can see WCSH broadcasting most, if not all, of the programming. I also think WLBZ and WCSH will put together a show that doesn't look like it's run by a high school AV club.
    Yeah, like share weathermen/women when someone is on vacation. I can't see WCSH giving up any NBC programming to air Maine Hockey. Never happen.

Leave a comment:

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied

Originally posted by Maine Hockey Fan View Post
    no corkum ...
    Less then a 50% chance he returns. And I know I could very well be WRONG.!

Leave a comment:

• Goalieboy2000
    replied

Well, There's always WFVX/WVII. But remember, WLBZ did broadcast the Black Bears in 1992.

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    I actually think this is a good thing. WABI may have been broadcasting Maine games since 1953, but they were still using the same cameras and announcers and technology they had in 1953 too.

If this means someone with an HD truck is going to broadcast Maine hockey (WLBZ???), I am all for it.

And if this means that a broadcast booth with a combined age below 180 is going to announce UMaine football games, I am all for it.

I will note, however, that the fact that Learfield Sports is running this and not anyone in Orono continues to be a joke. Thanks Blake James! Like herpes, you are the gift that keeps on giving.
    I promise you WLBZ has no HD truck. When I worked there 15 years ago, they had NO production truck, period. Shortly after I left, that place was gutted and runs mostly out of Portland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X