• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied
    Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Be nice to see a Dman take the body on a regular basis.
    Yes take the body and be in shape for 60 minutes,constant pressure and make the other team pay the price.

Leave a comment:

• Allagash
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    How about loyalty to the program and fans? I have no problem with anything he said. The last few years have been tough to take as evidenced by around 2500 fans showing up for a lot of the games. The program needs to get better and back to where it was. He didn't say anything that wasn't true.
    I agree, I also have no problem with what corkrum said either. He spoke his mind and didn't say the usual garbage when a coach replaces another coach like " He was a great coach who did a great job, but it was time for a change.
    I'm glad corkrum spoke the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Allagash
    replied

Originally posted by Larson210 View Post
    I interviewed Red in the immediate wake of the national championship last month and he was incredible to speak to. I will try to uncover that audio piece I did. For the last four years I have been a student and broadcaster at Quinnipiac, so I have seen my fair share of Yale. Late in games I've noticed Red doing a fair amount of talking on the bench and setting up plays out of timeouts, like you see with most assistant coaches. I know a few of the players on QU who said that Red is a "beaut" and that he tried to recruit a few of them. He was pretty soft spoken in the interview, but very serious in other moments. I remember most that he said Keith Allain is his best friend and one of the first things he thinks about when he gets up in the morning is that he never wanted to disappoint his friend. He believes very strongly in the idea of family in hockey and says he still gets phone calls from the players he coached at Bellows Free Academy. So from what I gathered out of my interview at the time and the players I spoke to, Maine is getting a guy that has tons of experience, some head coaching experience in the AHL, and a guy that really cares for the players he coaches. I think he is going to have a very positive effect on the players this summer, but the only thing I have to wonder about is where the energy is going to come from. Although, I have seen him get passionate on the bench in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the man and I can't wait to see what translates to Maine. Don't be shocked if Yale makes its way onto the schedule in the near future.

All I can think about when I see him is that scene from Out of the Woods where he is in the middle a room full of computers with paper spewing out of every machine saying, "Teams are crazy not to use this kind of technology." He looked like a mad scientist.
    I think someone posted it already in this thread or the first summer thread but was he talking about some of his former umaine players and such? He was enjoyable to listen to, good story teller. I'm thrilled to have him as our coach to be honest. He has put his time in and deserves this, I wish him the best and maybe some of the nutcases here will chill out and let him do his thing.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Yalewhaler says he worked with the defense.....that's exciting since that's clearly been Maine's biggest weakness the last 5-6 years.
    Be nice to see a Dman take the body on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• Allagash
    replied

55, expecting younger? I'd say yes but if he surrounds himself with the right Assts, does it really matter?

No chit, this man is a proving winner, has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge and hockey smarts. 55 is hardly old, gwoz is older and everyone was drooling over him, 55 is nothing, christ.

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied

Yalewhaler says he worked with the defense.....that's exciting since that's clearly been Maine's biggest weakness the last 5-6 years.

Leave a comment:

• CollegeHockeyRinkReport
    replied

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ry-black-bears

My story on why I think Gendron could succeed at Maine.

Leave a comment:

• CollegeHockeyRinkReport
    replied
    55, expecting younger? I'd say yes but if he surrounds himself with the right Assts, does it really matter?
    He just needs to restore Maine hockey for 8-10 years with two young assistants and then leave the program to someone else.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    How old? 59? Surely you were all expecting a much younger coach than that, right?

Leave a comment:

• ck1969
    replied

I'm with BoSox. The more I read about what others say about Red the more excited I am. Hopefully Walshy is smiling looking down. My gut is telling me this is a great chioce.

Leave a comment:

• Yalewhaler
    replied

You guys are getting one of the best hockey minds in the game. I spoke to some Yale players this morning about the loss and they are extremely sad to see him go (happy for him as well). They say it was no coincidence that after two years of him being the assistant and running the defense, that they won the national championship.

In regards to people wondering "if he is so good why did he not get any other jobs" This is not necessarily the case as one of the main reasons he took the Maine job is because it was one of the few he wanted. He enjoyed being an assistant coach and being more involved in the teaching aspect of the game and developing relationships with his players, but being from Maine - and having coached there already - this was an opportunity he just couldn't pass up.

Maine should be thrilled with this selection.... now Yale has to find a suitable replacement.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

How old? 59? Surely you were all expecting a much younger coach than that, right?

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
    He assumed zero responsibility and tossed all the the blame on whitehead. If he felt timmy was not doing right by the program he should have said that to his face while he was employed under him. If timmy refused to liste. To him than he should have quit and then voiced his reasoning for quitting. Bottk. Line is that whitehead was winning, and winning a lot, until bob showed up. What he did showed a complete lack of character.
    How do you know what Corkum did or didn't do? stop trolling, go find a hole to crawl in

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied

The more I learn and the more I think about it the more I like the pick....

My question is, what other head jobs did Red Gendorn interview for? And if it all sounds so good why didn't they hire him? Wasn't he a finalist in the UMass mess last summer?

Its hard to believe the Maine athletic dept would be the first ones smart enough to give this guy a chance. Few have ever accused Maine of being the smartest guys in the room. That's my reservation.

Leave a comment:

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied

NOW the work begins once he's introduced and gets his Assistants in place,he has a short off-season to work with...Hockey is back and ALIVE @ UMaine and the Alfond. Positive Plus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X